We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: September 2009 - Southern Hemisphere- Spring  (Read 25423 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: September 2009 - Southern Hemisphere- Spring
« Reply #90 on: September 10, 2009, 05:46:06 PM »
Bill, you may be interested in these threads......
http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=3260.msg82950;topicseen#msg82950  
 = Keukenhof Gardens in Spring 2009

http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=3643.msg95780;topicseen#msg95780  
 = Peony Show at the  Keukenhof Castle 2009  

http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=1846.0 = Peony Show at the  Keukenhof Castle 2008

« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 05:51:33 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
« Reply #91 on: September 10, 2009, 06:03:40 PM »
Quote: "These butterfly daffies are very popular with the ladies for their floral art classes."
Bill, so perfectly damned!  

I think Lesley will certainly damn them  ::)
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #92 on: September 10, 2009, 06:11:22 PM »
I am no lover of split -corona daffs, yet, when I see these perfect specimens so artfully photographed, I can see their appeal to some folks.
When I say "perfect" specimens, of course, I mean perfect -of their kind- which I believe to be inherently imperfect!  To my mind, a daff is a daff because it has a trumpet.... now, that may be a short trumpet or a long one, a narrow one or a wide one, but there must be a  a trumpet..... for me, the flattened face, however neat or prettily coloured is not a trumpet... therefore... not a daff!  ::)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #93 on: September 10, 2009, 08:52:10 PM »
Quote: "These butterfly daffies are very popular with the ladies for their floral art classes."

Bill, so perfectly damned!

Paddy

Says it all really, doesn't it. Bout the daffs and the ladies. ???
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #94 on: September 10, 2009, 08:58:53 PM »
Bill, I've had to work hard for my 3 T. nivale flowers. I bought the plant, a single nose with a flower, in the springtime, from Francie Herlund, way back when the NZAGS show was still held in the Hort Soc rooms, probably about 12 years ago now. It had been recently split off from a bigger plant and for the next two years didn't even show above the ground. Then it came up but didn't flower for another couple of years and since, I've had just single blooms, 2 last year and these 3 now. It has never set seed and I don't expect it to because I have no other clone for cross pollination but I'll let you know in due course.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #95 on: September 10, 2009, 09:04:49 PM »
The massed little irises are stunning Bill but I have to admit to preferring a nifty little patch of 6 or 7 in a home garden situation. En masse like those, they seem to be grown just for a big splash of colour and the subtle markings are not noticed so easily nor their individual charms appreciated.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #96 on: September 10, 2009, 09:07:18 PM »
A little hint for those who sell trilliums not grown from seed. NEVER offer plants which have been recently removed from a bigger plant. They rarely survive and even if they do, take several years before they begin to thrive. If you have to take them this way they should be grown on for at least a full year before being offered for sale. It is nothing short of cheating your customers to do otherwise.

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #97 on: September 11, 2009, 07:38:23 AM »
The first flower on Anemone pavonina surrounded by Ipheion uniflorum "Froyle Mill"
163355-0

Scilla bithynica
163357-1

Scilla melaina
163359-2

Ranunculus ficaria "Brambling"
163361-3

Tulipa bakeri "Lilac Wonder"
163363-4

And for Lesley: a Mertensia virginica which Tim grew from the seed you sent and which he gave me last wekend - it has survived nearly a week so far in my hands ;D - well, at least in our shade-house.
163365-5

cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Tecophilaea King

• traveling off the beaten track
« Reply #98 on: September 11, 2009, 01:55:22 PM »
To my mind, a daff is a daff because it has a trumpet.... now, that may be a short trumpet or a long one, a narrow one or a wide one, but there must be a  a trumpet..... for me, the flattened face, however neat or prettily coloured is not a trumpet... therefore... not a daff!  ::)

Maggi, does that mean that the modern doulble daffodil without a trumpet don't qualify either?
In my humble opinion there should be room and acceptance for both divisions.
In today's world double features are almost invariably produced or hybridised in every genera.
When the first pink daffodil came on the scene, decades ago, some conservative folk from the old school condenmed them out of hand, claiming it didn't look like the traditional yellow daffodil.
Should a rose always be red? other colours like blue, yellow, white or bicolors are now popular as well.
Beauty after all is in the eye of the beholder etc.
Just my personal opinion.
Bill Dijk in Tauranga, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand
Climate zone 10

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #99 on: September 11, 2009, 02:21:19 PM »
Absolutely, Bill, we are all entitled to our opinions and preferences.... but in the world of alpine plants there is a distinct leaning towards the "natural"  species look. It's what we do!  ::)

There is a reasonable argument for hybridising from the simple point of view of producing plants that are easier to grow...... and goodness knows, our gardens would be the poorer without those attempts.

When one's main focus is the diminutive  wild gems of the plant world the more exagerated forms can be a bit too much for us, that's all!  :D

Tecophilaea King

« Reply #100 on: September 12, 2009, 01:18:59 PM »
Absolutely, Bill, we are all entitled to our opinions and preferences.... but in the world of alpine plants there is a distinct leaning towards the "natural"  species look. It's what we do!  ::)

Maggi, I fully agree with you when it regards the natural species look, especially the petite alpines, including the  charming, native miniature narcissi species in the wild. I wouldn't want  to change that in any shape or form.
However, from a RHS Daffodil Show point of view and the intense competition associated with it (and I belong to that category as well) the older varieties like say King Alfred daffodil could not compete, and have been superseded by the improved and modern hybrid yellow trumpet in shape, size and quality, although this old variety is still one of my favourites.
I admit, that I am not true-blue alpine connoisseur in that sense(yet), and perhaps need education, but will benefit and learn a lot from you all on the finer points of this very interesting sometimes addictive alpine hobby.
Anyway, nothing like a good honest, constructive discussion on some of the subjects, and/or consider a few alternative options. Life would be boring without some excitement. Enough stirring for today. ;D ;D                         
Climate zone 10

Tecophilaea King

« Reply #101 on: September 12, 2009, 01:44:19 PM »
OK lets get back to showing a few more daffies that are in flower at th moment.
The first picture is a double poeticus called Judy Cotter, a real charmer with a perfume to boot.
I think Lesley should know this lady which this variety was named after somewhere from the South Island?
The second picture is a collection of early N.poeticus seedlings, sparkling white perianth with the typical contrasting  pheasant eye. Would make a excellent addition for the (rock?) garden and show bench.
Climate zone 10

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #102 on: September 12, 2009, 02:57:35 PM »
Those Judy Cotter daffs bear more than a passing resemblence to double trillium flowers..... apart from the scent, of course ----  so good that many narcissus do seem to retain good fragrance in the newer, fancier varieties.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 02:18:28 PM by Maggi Young »

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #103 on: September 12, 2009, 09:42:02 PM »
Bill, I don't believe your opinion is humble, at all. ;D

I don't know a Judy Cotter. Used to know Eileen though. Knew Judy..? (can't remember her name but her mother is Mavis Hook. Don't think it was Cotter. ???)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #104 on: September 12, 2009, 09:46:22 PM »
Maggi, thank you for your LOVELY card. As always it is a delight and I really appreciate it. I did nothing at all except what was a pleasure to do for you both. Any time.

With love.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal