We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Snowdrop Events 2010  (Read 44820 times)

steve owen

Re: Snowdrop Events 2010
« Reply #165 on: February 17, 2010, 07:43:11 PM »
Anglesey Abbey quite wonderful today in warm sunshine, insects buzzing, lonicera fragrantissima and daphne Jacqueline Postill utterly intoxicating. A good to be alive day. Here are some pics including a remarkable colour break snowdrop. Enjoy.
NCPPG National Collection Holder for Galanthus
Beds/Bucks border

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #166 on: February 17, 2010, 09:13:09 PM »
...Here are some pics including a remarkable colour break snowdrop. Enjoy.

Good pictures, Steve, but let's not get too carried away here.   A "remarkable colour break snowdrop" would be daffodil yellow or poppy red or bluebell blue.  This one is slightly off-white - but at least I can see it in this instance.  There was one featured at the Gala where I was left scratching my head about what the colour difference was supposed to be.
Almost in Scotland.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #167 on: February 17, 2010, 10:34:25 PM »
I like the way it changes from white to cream it the tips. 8)
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #168 on: February 17, 2010, 10:42:23 PM »
elwesii Orange Tip?
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #169 on: February 17, 2010, 11:10:24 PM »
I think it is truly hideous.... looks like someone dunked the poor thing in coffee.... it's horrible........ bring back the white ones!!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #170 on: February 17, 2010, 11:25:12 PM »
Calling it 'Orange Tip' is stretching it a bit. ::)
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #171 on: February 17, 2010, 11:45:23 PM »
I think it is truly hideous.... looks like someone dunked the poor thing in coffee.... it's horrible........
   ;D
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #172 on: February 18, 2010, 06:56:57 AM »
Even the Dulux Natural Hints range of paints http://www.dulux.co.uk/products/info/natural_hints_silk.jsp look like incredibly strong colours compared to the Anglesey Abbey snowdrop.  In my opinion, you know that galloping galanthophilia has finally driven you over the edge into madness when you start seeing a slightly off-white snowdrop as orange.     
Almost in Scotland.

RichardW

• Benington Lordship Gardens
« Reply #173 on: February 18, 2010, 08:20:51 AM »
can't see the appeal at all, looks "sick" if I saw something like that here I would be chucking it out  ;)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 08:28:26 AM by RichardW »

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
« Reply #174 on: February 18, 2010, 08:28:36 AM »
I would like to see it 'in the flesh' - I often find that photographs don't do justice to yellow snowdrops - perhaps the camera has not been kind to this orange snowdrop?
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

steve owen

« Reply #175 on: February 18, 2010, 07:19:19 PM »
Good, everybody likes it.

Seriously, where does it say that snowdrop outers must be purest white or with added green only? Is the white outer ok with delicate green tips but not a virescent marking? True eranthis yellow is ok but the lemon yellow of Eranthis hiemalis "Pauline" isn't? No black tulips or hyacinths? I mean, COME ON guys! And it isn't even my snowdrop.

Alan, its not a question of "getting carried away". Apart from the aforesaid white and green, this is the first galanthus I know of (apart from the fabled and unseen Chadwick's Cream and Creme Anglaise, verdict suspended pending some flowers to look at) that is actually a different colour. Isn't gardening a bit about the excitement of the unusual? To quote Robert Kennedy : "some men see things as they are and just ask why? I dream of things that never were and ask "why not?"

I am tempted to widen the discussion with a proposition about feeding the worlds's hungry with Genetically Modified Wheat but maybe this audience is a bit too conservative for such revolutionary ideas.
NCPPG National Collection Holder for Galanthus
Beds/Bucks border

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
« Reply #176 on: February 18, 2010, 07:25:28 PM »
...Alan, its not a question of "getting carried away". Apart from the aforesaid white and green, this is the first galanthus I know of (apart from the fabled and unseen Chadwick's Cream ....

Hi Steve

'Chadwicks Cream' is not fabled.  I, and Brian Ellis, have seen it in the flesh and it is gorgeous.  I think I posted a photo last year but a picture really didn't do Justice to the wonderful buttermilk outers and yellowy inners.  Once again, I think that before making decisions on these flowers from photographs one really does need to see them growing 'live' in a group for a real idea.  I would love to see the 'orange' Galanthus for real rather than a photograph before I pass my personal judgement.

'Chadwicks Cream' is very rare - but definitely not fabled. We can keep our fingers crossed that one day it can be made available to others.  #fingers crossed icon#
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 07:34:44 PM by KentGardener »
John

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #177 on: February 18, 2010, 07:28:16 PM »
I think you'll find that this audience has a wide diversity of views; I personally enjoy my snowdrops snow white but I think there is room in the world for one in barbie pink and another with turquoise and purple stripes and good luck to anyone who finds such delights!
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #178 on: February 18, 2010, 07:34:16 PM »
Well I like it, not as much as Chadwick's Cream which was lovely, but I like it so there!
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #179 on: February 18, 2010, 07:35:58 PM »
I am tempted to widen the discussion with a proposition about feeding the worlds's hungry with Genetically Modified Wheat but maybe this audience is a bit too conservative for such revolutionary ideas.

This GM wheat.... it won't be blue, will it?  :-\
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal