We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Snowdrop Events 2010  (Read 44815 times)

steve owen

Re: Snowdrop Events 2010
« Reply #195 on: February 18, 2010, 10:20:53 PM »

Bit of an unnecessarily prickly comment there, Steve, assuming that the rest of us forumists have conservative, closed minds, surely?

Martin
I'm sorry if I have said something which offends you, especially after we sat together amicably at last Saturday's Gala. If anything else annoys you, do feel free to p.m. me (unless you prefer to post it publicly).
Steve
NCPPG National Collection Holder for Galanthus
Beds/Bucks border

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #196 on: February 18, 2010, 10:37:53 PM »
Martin
I'm sorry if I have said something which offends you, especially after we sat together amicably at last Saturday's Gala. If anything else annoys you, do feel free to p.m. me (unless you prefer to post it publicly).
Steve

No great offence taken, Steve. Just that I have some strong views on GM and some knowledge of the issues surrounding it, and I don't think that questioning the implications of major technological developments like GM necessarily implies a conservative mindset that's not open to new ideas. I was just indulging in a little off-topic banter in response to your comment about GM feeding the world.

It's a very interesting topic with massive implications. For example, one of the big problems in developing countries is that GM crops tend to have high fertiliser requirements, having been bred initially for farmland in developed countries. Poor farmers in developing countries are told they should grow GM crops because they're good international commodity crops that make money for farmers, but they get into debt buying fertiliser they can't afford and didn't need before growing GM,  and the more of them grow the GM crops, the lower the "commodity" prices fall, which suits the developed importing countries but cripple the farmers already burdened by debt from buying fertiliser (from the companies who sell them the GM seed). They also can't save their own GM seed to sow the next year because they're not allowed to, and so have to keep buying seed every year. And all this on top of the fact that the whole process pushes out local traditional crops which may not produce such high yields but which provide important food biodiversity as a guard against diseases and pests and are often better adapted to local conditions (needing less water and chemicals to grow).

Anyway, sorry if my jumping in a tad clumsily caused ripples. Let's get back to the snowdrops.

Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

chasw

• Another passion
    • mini40register
« Reply #197 on: February 19, 2010, 07:52:37 AM »
Hear,Hear..........................Snowdrops,no just more snow about 5" of the bloomin stuff here this morning, :(
Chas Whight in Northamptonshire

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #198 on: February 19, 2010, 08:07:59 AM »
No snow in Kent.   :)  So I thought I would fly up to Aberrrrdeen to try and find some.   ;)
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Jane

• Cornovium Snowdrops
« Reply #199 on: February 19, 2010, 09:56:24 AM »
More snow in Cheshire today, and I still have 3000 nivalis to plant ahhhh....
Cornovium Snowdrops near Chester, Cheshire.  I love plants, especially Snowdrops, Trillium, Erythroniums and Primula.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #200 on: February 19, 2010, 09:59:30 AM »
Hear,Hear..........................Snowdrops,no just more snow about 5" of the bloomin stuff here this morning, :(

That bodes well for the CGS Members day tomorrow, perhaps we will see the tips peeping out of the snowdrifts :-\
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

chasw

• Another passion
    • mini40register
« Reply #201 on: February 19, 2010, 10:05:20 AM »
No not good news at all Brian,can not see any of mine

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #202 on: February 19, 2010, 10:12:25 AM »
The snow we had overnight on Wednesday had disappeared by last night, so  a weather god decided we needed some more  :P .... so, a light fall today again.....will make the countryside pretty for KentGardener to look out on from the plane.....with a bit of luck it will not be so deep as to hide all the 'drops he's due to see on Sunday :-\

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #203 on: February 19, 2010, 10:14:24 AM »
I'm sure he will have a great time nevertheless Maggie, and hopefully there will be no snow next week!
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #204 on: February 19, 2010, 10:23:51 AM »
We had snow over night but it has thankfully melted.

Maggi you and I have forum members to look after. Jo arrives in N Ireland at 5pm. We are planning to cram is as much as possible - snowdrops tomorrow and then over the next four days bots in Dublin, Robin Hall, Mournes, Antrim coast, Giant's Causeway and maybe a garden or two
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #205 on: February 19, 2010, 10:34:45 AM »
I bet Jo will have a grand time with you, Mark....hope you manage to cram everything in!

I'll just be glad if the roads aren't too bad for everyone to get to our Bus Trip to Dunblane (and for  everyone else's travel, of course) and for Ian to take John to the Brechin Castle snowdrop lunch on Sunday!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

chasw

• Another passion
    • mini40register
« Reply #206 on: February 19, 2010, 02:49:39 PM »
Rapid thaw here now, :)can actually see the drops peeping through the snow,so should be fine for tomorrow,unless we have some more

steve owen

« Reply #207 on: February 20, 2010, 06:34:31 PM »
Chas

Many thanks to you and your wife for all your spadework associated with getting today's CGS do organised. Take a bow.

Steve
NCPPG National Collection Holder for Galanthus
Beds/Bucks border

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #208 on: February 20, 2010, 08:04:30 PM »
Our snowdrop day got off to a bad start. -4 over night rising to only +1 with freezing fog and snowdrops lying down. Those who came loved spring bulbs in the greenhouse

Major complaint from me - c.20 people out of 80 bothered to come to my garden!!. The majority of people passing within 1 mile / 1.5km of my garden while heading to the second garden. This is the last time I open for the AGS Ulster Group!
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

chasw

• Another passion
    • mini40register
« Reply #209 on: February 20, 2010, 08:48:10 PM »
Steve,we did think that we ought to offer our help as we live so close by,I have never washed up so many cups and saucers  ;D,and was a little late buying anything,however did finally find a David Baker,how were the gardens?as we did not make them,.........................had to move a mini ;)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal