We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Flowering Now - September 2009  (Read 29868 times)

Geebo

• Field of Blooms Nursery
Re: Flowering Now - September 2009
« Reply #180 on: September 26, 2009, 01:14:05 PM »
Great to be back,Iam in recovery now after my first knee replacement,awaiting the call for NR 2 on 21Th Oct.
see I missed all the lovely pictures,also missed a few early bulbs gone over while in  hospital,awhel next year again.Still got a few surprises on my way home.
Hope You All enjoy,
Cheers
Guy
Ireland , Co Tipperary

http://www.fieldofblooms.ie

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #181 on: September 26, 2009, 01:27:20 PM »
Glad to hear the fiirst op is over, Guy. Good luck with the second.... form what I hear from friends who have had this op, the key to successful recovery is to be very strict with yourself about doing the physio exercises they suggest.... seems to be the real difference for those who do best afterwards .... may be easier said than done, but I think it's good advice!  :-* :-*
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Michael

« Reply #182 on: September 26, 2009, 01:45:16 PM »

Sorbus maderensis is a seriously endangered Madeiran endemic, is it not? Habitat loss if the problem, I assume. I don't think I've ever seen one.

Yes Maggi, strangely enough i have seen one in the same day that i took the Erica maderensis pictures i posted earlier. It had fruits but they were still green by then so not worthy enough to photograph. I will try to go to the mountains soon to get hold of some. Here you got some more information about the species:
http://www.forestry.gov.uk/forestry/infd-738e6w

Lastly, a picture of Passiflora trifasciata, Euchile citrina, Heliconia bihai and a leaf of an aroid that seems anvil-hammered in copper, Alocasia cuprea.

Have a great day
Michael

Your pic of Heliconia bihai reminded me of one I saw in Trinidad, October 2007. It was the host of an interesting parasite.

Anthony, that's very interesting. Never saw or herd about that parasite.

Fantastic pics everyone.  Just viewed this topic for the first time.  Some crackers of plants.  Of special mention..... the wonderful carnivorous plants shown part way through.... beautiful.  Anthony, that parasitic plant is quite striking isn't it?  And Michael, as well as a belated "Happy Birthday" from me, my compliments on those fantastic orchids.  The Stanhopeas and Gongoras are just glorious aren't they?  A fav of mine, although very rare for me to flower my S. tigrina (syn S. negroviolacea I think) as I don't have a glasshouse.  It survives remarkably well though, considering.  Some wonderful other orchids you showed too, including that beautiful Dracula, and a fascinating green with dark throat that I don't recognise at all.

Thanks to all for their wonderful pictures.  8)
Hi Paul. Glad to hear from you again. I have still not forgotten your Thunbergia mysorensis, but pollinating it have been a failure so far. The hairy stamens seem depleted of pollen! About flowering the tigrina, give it plenty of light in the spring and summer, and you will get rewarded.
The green and black orchid is Coelogyne pandurata from Borneo.

By the way Paul, could give me a hand identifying (or at least trying to identify) the banksia species i had posted on another topic?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 01:47:30 PM by Michael »
"F" for Fritillaria, that's good enough to me ;)
Mike

Portugal, Madeira Island

pehe

• Autumn flowering bulbs
« Reply #183 on: September 26, 2009, 05:08:52 PM »
My garden today. It is dominated by Colchicums and Crocus. Sternbergia has started flowering in the open garden.
The last two pictures are from a pot full of different seedlings from a seed collection trip in Malta.
What is the tiny plant with flower buds?

Poul

Poul Erik Eriksen in Hedensted, Denmark - Zone 6

Geebo

• Field of Blooms Nursery
« Reply #184 on: September 26, 2009, 05:22:24 PM »
Thanks for that Maggi,You are so right,the only way to the recovery is torture,but the fisio is quit happy with  me so far,its just a bit lonely here sometime.but every day is closer to my goal. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;) ;)
Cheers
Guy
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 06:47:27 PM by Maggi Young »
Ireland , Co Tipperary

http://www.fieldofblooms.ie

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #185 on: September 26, 2009, 06:27:30 PM »
Great to be back,Iam in recovery now after my first knee replacement,awaiting the call for NR 2 on 21Th Oct.
see I missed all the lovely pictures,also missed a few early bulbs gone over while in  hospital,awhel next year again.Still got a few surprises on my way home.
Hope You All enjoy,
Cheers
Guy

have a speedy recovery! nice flowers for a homecoming :)

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #186 on: September 26, 2009, 06:57:58 PM »
Lovely plants everyone. Here a just a few from my plot

Including a couple of border shots. I know that the purists  may be a bit sniffy about Dahlias ......... :-X

The Anemone I think is Louse Uhink but who can seperate these hybrids anyway. John yours looks great whatever it is

The sorbus is from a single seed that I "acquired" (it was on the floor honest  ;)). It is about 7ft high and full of berries. I think it is Koehneana but would welcome any other suggestions

The Cyclamen is Heder. Ruby Straion and my camera just doesn't do it justice
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

Giles

• Prince of Primula
« Reply #187 on: September 26, 2009, 07:01:33 PM »
Any chance of some fruit off that Sorbus, Ian ?

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #188 on: September 26, 2009, 07:09:27 PM »
Giles let me have your address unless you are going to Loughborough next week - they are already dropping off- the berries that is
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

Giles

• Prince of Primula
« Reply #189 on: September 26, 2009, 07:58:15 PM »
 :)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #190 on: September 26, 2009, 08:12:57 PM »
One of our best native shrubs, Viburnum cassinoides.  Blue berries and eventually red autumn foliage, just as you ordered Lesley.

johnw

Thanks John. I don't know that one at all. It looks very good. I'm interested that Sorbus will cross with both Malus and Pyrus (see Stephen's Finnish link). I'd like to try it here but at present, my lovely Malus is out while the Sorbus are still a couple of weeks away. My best Malus is a seedling from a very large crabapple I picked from the footpath outside someone's garden. The fruit was huge for a crab, almost 6cms in diamater but the seedling's fruit are small, not much more than 1cm and bright yellow whereas the other was a sort of russet colour. The flowers are large and a lovely pink. Will get a pic later this morning (haven't had breakfast yet. Daylight saving started at 2am).
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #191 on: September 26, 2009, 08:56:18 PM »
Guy,

Good to hear you are on the road to recovery again, good to have you posting and looking forward to more from you.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #192 on: September 26, 2009, 09:25:04 PM »
Recent postings with sorbus berries etc have really taken my interest. I took the camera and went around the garden this afternoon looking for berries or autumn fruits so here's a selection from the garden. Some are natives here and growing naturally on my boundary but they add to the interest of the garden also.

Paddy

Alnus incana 'Aurea'
Carrick Crab - an apple propagated by a local nurseryman from cuttings taken from a tree he noticed growing on the side of the road. Great apple.
Crataegus prunifolius
Euonymous planipes
Horse Chestnut
Malus 'Golden Hornet'

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #193 on: September 26, 2009, 09:29:06 PM »
Malus 'Gorgeous'
Polygonatum verticilliatum
Prunus sp Blackthorn - sloe
Rosa canina
Rosa rubifolia
Sambucus sp Elderberry

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #194 on: September 26, 2009, 09:31:13 PM »
Sorbus cashmeriana
Sorbus koehneana
Viburnum mariesii
Ditto
Viburnum setigerum

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal