We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Flowering Now - September 2009  (Read 29460 times)

cohan

• forest gnome
Re: Flowering Now - September 2009
« Reply #105 on: September 19, 2009, 09:49:45 PM »
We have two species in this area, Triglochin palustris (Marsh Arrow Grass) which grows in boggy areas and T. maritima (Sea Arrow Grass) which is mostly a shoreline plant (although also found inland). The first two pictures below show T. maritima which is a much bigger plant (although this could be due to its well fertilized environment on the seashore). I learnt that T. maritima was edible from a local forager here many years ago. He regularly made/makes a tasty springtime soup from it and is still going strong. I cultivate it in my garden but only use small amounts to be on the safe side.  However, I’ve read that the toxicity is higher when the plants are stressed by the weather and the white bases are apparently safe. I’ve since also learnt that Sea Arrow Grass is one of the halophytic (salt-tolerant) plants which has been studied as a candidate for saline agriculture (food production on the increasingly extensive areas of land which have become too saline to grow conventional crops or for cultivation in dry coastal areas with sea water irrigation). One that is already cultivated as a food plant in the Netherlands and Morocco, which often grows together with Triglochin, can also be seen in the centre of the second picture, Aster tripolium, Sea Aster.  Sea Aster can actually now be purchased as a gourmet vegetable in one of the biggest supermarket chains in the Netherlands!   I guess the potential toxicity of Triglochin has not favouritised it so far, but this could perhaps be dealt with through breeding (I was in contact with a German professor working on halophytic plants and he rated it highly).

I don’t know T. bulbosa, but maybe it’s related to the Australasian species T. procera, Water Ribbons, shown in the bottom picture (from Kew Gardens) which has an edible tuber. This plant was probably an important staple aboriginal food throughout Australia. The tubers are reported to have very high levels of vitamin C, but were difficult to harvest, to be found 30 cm down in the oozing mud, presumably harvested by toe rather than hand…

we should/could have both species here as well, but i think the ones i have seen are T maritima; here are a  few shots--mostly from last year, this year i didn't see as many in flower, perhaps because it was drier (the fat, bent inflorescence is from this year)
... my book says they grow in alkaline areas and marshes here; i don't know if the spots i have seen them are particularly alkaline--regular wet areas here with willows, grasses, Pedicularis and other typical marsh species...

galahad

• Ross
    • Wild Hybrid
« Reply #106 on: September 19, 2009, 11:53:28 PM »
My tulips ar stunning this year - Queen of Sheba and Ballade
This Sparaxis is just gorgeous this year but taking over the trough.  Have to move it to the open garden this year.
Christchurch, New Zealand

Stephenb

• 20,000+ day old man
« Reply #107 on: September 20, 2009, 08:27:50 AM »
we should/could have both species here as well, but i think the ones i have seen are T maritima; here are a  few shots--mostly from last year, this year i didn't see as many in flower, perhaps because it was drier (the fat, bent inflorescence is from this year)
... my book says they grow in alkaline areas and marshes here; i don't know if the spots i have seen them are particularly alkaline--regular wet areas here with willows, grasses, Pedicularis and other typical marsh species...

Yes, yours looks like maritima - the fruit is egg-shaped unlike palustris. Inland here they are found in rich usually alkaline bogs.
Stephen
Malvik, Norway
Eating my way through the world's 15,000+ edible species

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #108 on: September 20, 2009, 10:29:42 AM »
Thomas, you might be right.

Agreed Thomas; this is hederifolium
C. libanoticum normally flowers in spring and looks rather different.  It overwinters well here in the garden but unfortunately voles and slugs like it as much as I do :P

Thanks for bringing us to Aarhus BG Poul.  It looks like a very interesting place.
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Michael

« Reply #109 on: September 22, 2009, 09:53:42 AM »
Hi all!

It's been a while, but i have some great novelties! I didn't had much time to do some postings here, so I'll blend all pictures from the last 3 months in just one.

Firstly, the Musschia aurea in full bloom 2 months ago

"F" for Fritillaria, that's good enough to me ;)
Mike

Portugal, Madeira Island

Michael

« Reply #110 on: September 22, 2009, 09:54:21 AM »
Another pic of the same plant
Mike

Portugal, Madeira Island

Michael

« Reply #111 on: September 22, 2009, 09:55:38 AM »
This one is Erica maderensis, also taken 2 months ago.
Mike

Portugal, Madeira Island

Michael

« Reply #112 on: September 22, 2009, 10:14:02 AM »
Luc, do you remember the Platycodon that you made a comment last year? Well, I did the refrigeration trick again, and it worked. This year it's a lot bigger and bloomed profusely!
Mike

Portugal, Madeira Island

Michael

« Reply #113 on: September 22, 2009, 10:21:10 AM »
Well, these 2 were sent from Australia, exactly 2 years ago as a birthday gift from Fermi (Many thanks!!!). I raised the seeds and this year they bloomed so well (and keep on going) It seems that each time I water the plants they send out a new flower spike. Even though the blooms dont last, they constantly send out more! You were right Fermi, rain lilies are fast growers from seed, and it is such a satisfaction to see something blooming for the very first time when you think you raised it from seedling!

BTW i lost the tags, can anybody help me with the Id's?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 11:27:35 AM by Michael »
Mike

Portugal, Madeira Island

Michael

« Reply #114 on: September 22, 2009, 10:21:36 AM »
Another pink one
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 10:23:58 AM by Michael »
Mike

Portugal, Madeira Island

Michael

« Reply #115 on: September 22, 2009, 10:27:22 AM »
Now this Lilium (Lilium davidii/ L. tigrinum, or maybe a hybrid?)was raised from tiny purplish bulbils. It flowered the first time this year (i got 4 spikes). Oddly enough, it doesnt need any special cold treatment :)
Mike

Portugal, Madeira Island

Michael

« Reply #116 on: September 22, 2009, 10:33:40 AM »
These came from Germany (Many thanks Hans!) and are the tiniest Amaryllid that I'm currently growing, Zephyranthes minima. Utterly charming, but unfortunately not everybody thinks the same. My mother for instance, thinks that some weeds can be much more ornamental, but they're all plants in the end...
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 10:35:21 AM by Michael »
Mike

Portugal, Madeira Island

Michael

« Reply #117 on: September 22, 2009, 10:51:15 AM »
This one is called Dracula nycterina, its not the most beautiful flowers around, but sure its interesting!
Mike

Portugal, Madeira Island

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #118 on: September 22, 2009, 10:52:59 AM »
Luc, do you remember the Platycodon that you made a comment last year? Well, I did the refrigeration trick again, and it worked. This year it's a lot bigger and bloomed profusely!

Great to see things worked out fine Michael !!  :D
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Michael

« Reply #119 on: September 22, 2009, 10:58:18 AM »
A few more orchids. Of all plants ihave known and smelt, Stanhopea oculata is the one that has the most striking perfume ever. I cant describe it, but it's my favourite fragrance.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 11:01:32 AM by Michael »
Mike

Portugal, Madeira Island

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal