We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Flowering Now - September 2009  (Read 29432 times)

dominique

• River Dweller
  • passionated by bulbs since 1978,
Re: Flowering Now - September 2009
« Reply #165 on: September 24, 2009, 11:10:19 PM »
again
do

Pontoux France

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
« Reply #166 on: September 24, 2009, 11:23:32 PM »
Blue berries? What species is that Lori?

I don't know off-hand, Lesley... and it's possible I'm not even remembering correctly on that point!...  but I'll pay attention and take photos when we visit there this fall.
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Stephenb

• 20,000+ day old man
« Reply #167 on: September 25, 2009, 08:31:49 AM »
Van Dusen Gardens in Vancouver (zone 8-ish) has a beautiful planting of Sorbus spp - various berry colours - pink, white, blue(?? - TBD), yellow anyway, etc. - and various leaf shapes.  (We hope to visit there and UBC again this fall.)  S. aucuparia, S. americana and S. decora and hybrids thereof, at least, are hardy here.  The neighbors planted a hybrid a few years ago that has oak leaf shaped leaves - it's done well so far.

That brought back some memories. About 15 years ago I had a project in Fiji (poor me) and passed through Vancouver and I remember being blown away by the range of cultivars of Sorbus aucuparia and other Sorbi (?) they were growing at van Dusen (had actually forgotten the name of the arboretum) - have some slides somewhere.

A couple of British natives for you:

First Sorbus devoniensis taken in Martin Crawford's Forest Garden in Totnes, Devon has large quite tasty fruits - the seed of the one I tasted sadly didn't germinate
Second, too early for the berries, but this is Sorbus bristoliensis in the botanics in some place called Aberdeen

Then, a couple of pictures of the impressive Sorbus domestica pyrifera in Kew Gardens….

I’m also a compulsive sorboseedaholic!

« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 08:33:29 AM by Stephenb »
Stephen
Malvik, Norway
Eating my way through the world's 15,000+ edible species

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #168 on: September 25, 2009, 08:50:37 AM »
Van Dusen Gardens in Vancouver (zone 8-ish) has a beautiful planting of Sorbus spp - various berry colours - pink, white, blue(?? - TBD), yellow anyway, etc. - and various leaf shapes.  (We hope to visit there and UBC again this fall.)  S. aucuparia, S. americana and S. decora and hybrids thereof, at least, are hardy here.  The neighbors planted a hybrid a few years ago that has oak leaf shaped leaves - it's done well so far.

i'm not sure what ours is, but most probably aucuparia, though i'm not positive, it is tending to remain rather shrubby, but as i mentioned, that may be due to wildlife pruning; i think its managed to grow out of their reach now, so may start to get more treeish...
i dont think i'd bother to grow another species with red berries, except that i would like to get the native S scopulina, which my book says grows 1-4m....

Stephenb

• 20,000+ day old man
« Reply #169 on: September 25, 2009, 08:52:39 AM »
Blue berries? What species is that Lori?

I don't know off-hand, Lesley... and it's possible I'm not even remembering correctly on that point!...  but I'll pay attention and take photos when we visit there this fall.

Perhaps a Sorbus x Aronia cross (Sorbaronia) - I know the Finns have developed quite a few crosses of Sorbus and various other species with different coloured berries - see, for example, http://www.biotaimi.fi/Pihlaja.pdf (don't worry, Google Translate to the rescue, perhaps..., no, even Google got confused..)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 08:55:15 AM by Stephenb »
Stephen
Malvik, Norway
Eating my way through the world's 15,000+ edible species

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #170 on: September 25, 2009, 02:09:21 PM »
Some more local Sorbus.
Most still had their labels  :D
Sorbus 'Joseph Rock'
Sorbus cashmiriana
Sorbus hupehensis
Sorbus aucuparia (funny that the common one, is the worst)

Giles,

Your photos of Sorbus growing near you are wonderful - I love their leaf,flower, berry and Spring and Autumn colours - they really are a tree for all seasons wherever they grow.  I planted a Sorbus cashmiriana here but it has struggled and broke with the weight of snow - it has produced new shoots from the graft but am not sure if it is the cashmiriana or the grafted stock ....anyway am giving it TLC and a chance to grow here in the mountain - from its background I was assured it would survive at this height and extremes....on looking up more in Goggle, after seeing the fabulous white berries in your photo, I was directed to the link below - and another lovely sample!  ;D

http://www.srgc.org.uk/feature/sandynovember2006/content.html
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
« Reply #171 on: September 25, 2009, 02:57:47 PM »
seems the berries are good in Belgium too !
Yes, it may have been possible to squeeze a few more on that terrific Pyracantha, but only a very few!
A grand display and I like the other colours of Pyracantha, too, but  have a really soft spot for Sorbus..... which is just as well since Ian will keep growing them from seed and planting them out in the garden when my back is turned.  :P

Sorbus maderensis is a seriously endangered Madeiran endemic, is it not? Habitat loss if the problem, I assume. I don't think I've ever seen one.

It's been a good year for berries indeed.

Giles, that Sorbus cashmeriana is really nice
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

Giles

• Prince of Primula
« Reply #172 on: September 25, 2009, 06:01:39 PM »
Wim,
I could ask for some seed from that one, if you wanted it.
It didn't have many fruit on it, but I'm sure they could be persuaded to part with a few.
(I'm just wondering if there isn't a 'Magritte' tucked behind that Pyracantha of yours  ;D)
Giles

Sinchets

• our Bulgarian connection
  • On the quest for knowledge.
    • Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
« Reply #173 on: September 25, 2009, 06:45:42 PM »
Flowering just now and certainly living up to its name  ;)
Cirsium echinocephalum.
Simon
Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
Stara Planina, Bulgaria. Altitude 482m.
Lowest winter (shade) temp -25C.
Highest summer (shade) temp 35C.

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
« Reply #174 on: September 25, 2009, 06:58:59 PM »
Wim,
I could ask for some seed from that one, if you wanted it.
It didn't have many fruit on it, but I'm sure they could be persuaded to part with a few.
(I'm just wondering if there isn't a 'Magritte' tucked behind that Pyracantha of yours  ;D)
Giles

Hello Giles,

if it is possible to get some seeds, that would be very nice.
(No 'Olympia' behind my Pyracantha,...I've just looked... you never know and a reward of 10% of it's value would be very nice  ;))

Wim
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #175 on: September 25, 2009, 11:03:01 PM »
Lastly, a picture of Passiflora trifasciata, Euchile citrina, Heliconia bihai and a leaf of an aroid that seems anvil-hammered in copper, Alocasia cuprea.

Have a great day
Michael

Your pic of Heliconia bihai reminded me of one I saw in Trinidad, October 2007. It was the host of an interesting parasite.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #176 on: September 26, 2009, 02:17:50 AM »
The Japanese anemones are flowering now but I have no idea which ones these are. Any suggestions?  Honorine Jobert is tricky here so I wonder if the white is another variety.

johnw
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 02:38:28 AM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #177 on: September 26, 2009, 02:21:19 AM »
One of our best native shrubs, Viburnum cassinoides.  Blue berries and eventually red autumn foliage, just as you ordered Lesley.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #178 on: September 26, 2009, 02:24:19 AM »
Fantastic pics everyone.  Just viewed this topic for the first time.  Some crackers of plants.  Of special mention..... the wonderful carnivorous plants shown part way through.... beautiful.  Anthony, that parasitic plant is quite striking isn't it?  And Michael, as well as a belated "Happy Birthday" from me, my compliments on those fantastic orchids.  The Stanhopeas and Gongoras are just glorious aren't they?  A fav of mine, although very rare for me to flower my S. tigrina (syn S. negroviolacea I think) as I don't have a glasshouse.  It survives remarkably well though, considering.  Some wonderful other orchids you showed too, including that beautiful Dracula, and a fascinating green with dark throat that I don't recognise at all.

Thanks to all for their wonderful pictures.  8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #179 on: September 26, 2009, 10:03:05 AM »
Great autumn show of berries, love the sorbus displays we have been treated to - many thanks to Giles and Stephen. Great show, many new cultivars.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal