We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus Autumn 2009  (Read 39329 times)

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
Re: Galanthus Autumn 2009
« Reply #210 on: November 26, 2009, 08:11:51 PM »
G.cillicius is tender isn't it ian? have you found it difficult?

Yes it is reputed to be a little tricky but it is in a pot in a frame so we will see. My source grows this outside. Once it bulks up I shall do the same I don't like them in pots if it is not absolutely necessary
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

Gerard Oud

• nothing beats snowdrops!
    • Sneeuwklokjeshof Bucaneve
« Reply #211 on: November 27, 2009, 10:01:25 PM »
Its unbelievable how the warm weather is stimulating the snowdrops Three Ships and almost Colossus are flowering now! Lots others are showing large sprouts!

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
« Reply #212 on: November 29, 2009, 05:17:04 AM »
How long should it take for a bud to open?

I have had a bud on a long stem for a bit over two weeks
now, and it is still tight and pointing up.  I brought it into
a cold greenhouse which is the same temperature as it is
outside - 7 C.

I didn't mean that hyphen to be a minus sign.  The temperature
is plus 7 C
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 05:07:20 PM by Diane Whitehead »
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #213 on: November 29, 2009, 11:20:07 AM »
Did anyone contact Wisley? I can find no reference on the internet for the people who sold the bulbs to Wisley.
Yes, Mark, I wrote to Wisley but haven't heard from them yet.

Hello everybody, my first post of the season.

In the context of the Plant Centre at R.H.S. Wisley and their bulb supplier,  I bought a "Galanthus platyphyllus" there last year but began to have doubts as soon as I got it home and compared what I had with the description in the book (see my post here http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=2604.225 ).  The considered opinion of the forum members was that the snowdrop I had bought was not platyphyllus, so in due course I returned it to the Plant Centre and was given a refund.
Almost in Scotland.

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
« Reply #214 on: November 29, 2009, 02:30:10 PM »
Here is G Barnes flowering now. Sorry about the coffee stains but am trying coffee grains to keep away the slugs  ::)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #215 on: November 29, 2009, 02:42:52 PM »
Are the coffee grains having any effect, Ian ? These plants seem unchewed....  :D
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
« Reply #216 on: November 29, 2009, 03:02:39 PM »
Are the coffee grains having any effect, Ian ? These plants seem unchewed....  :D

Maggi I am trying this because I always get a lot of nibbling or even cutting of flowering stems with very early bulbs. It seems to work and time will tell but with some of the plants where I have single bulbs (and Helleborus thibetanus) I have used a belt and bracers approach applying coffee grains and a drench of Slugclear (a liquid slug killer) which seems to be the only thing which will deal with those small soil born varieties  ::)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 03:04:11 PM by ian mcenery »

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #217 on: November 29, 2009, 03:09:29 PM »
Here is G Barnes flowering now. Sorry about the coffee stains but am trying coffee grains to keep away the slugs  ::)

Ian

A nice clean - well save for the coffee grounds - elwesii selection.  Have you tried organic slug pellets? They are reasonably effective and made by Safers (Woodstream)-  http://www.woodstreamcorp.com/canada/garden.asp#Slug%20&%20Snail%20Solutions   Strange they show old packaging on their website as they are now in a plastic box with a flip lid.  Last I looked they contained iron phosphate but the formula may have changed with the new packaging. Still they are pet and bird safe.

About 90% of the snowdrops here have surfaced in their pots.  This is alarmingly early.  So far none outside have surfaced despite very mild temperatures.  We are promised ( ???) a good frost late next week.

In flower - Cambridge and almost out Alex Duguid, Fieldgate Prelude and Tilebarn Jamie.

johnw
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 12:40:05 AM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

johnw

« Reply #218 on: November 29, 2009, 05:40:05 PM »
Galanthus reginae-olgae 'Cambridge' (1&3) and Galanthus reginae-olgae 'Alex Duguid' (2) in flower here.

johnw
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 08:19:22 PM by johnw »

Hagen Engelmann

• treuer Schneeglöckchenfreund
    • http://www.engelmannii.de
« Reply #219 on: November 29, 2009, 06:34:16 PM »
John, CAMBRIDGE look very nice in frontlightning. But why you are so stingy? 37 KB are too few for a good  pic. Look to the background :D >:(
I don`t know the other. Where it does come from? Never heard the name.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 06:36:06 PM by Hagen Engelmann »
Hagen Engelmann Brandenburg/Germany (80m) http://www.engelmannii.de]

michael broadhurst

« Reply #220 on: November 29, 2009, 06:36:04 PM »
Hello Michael,
First glad that Eleni, Mette and Sofia are looking good and especially that the second flower on Sofia is looking better than the first.
Lyzzick is not a Galanthus reginae-olgae selection and more likely a plicatus nivalis cross. It was originally found near a hotel of the same name in Cumbria and is a very strong grower in the garden.
It will flower February/March.
This is an image of the flower.

Thanks for the info Melvyn.
I think you gave a number of reginae-olgae to Anglesey Abbey last season and I assume also Lyzzick as that was another new one in the collection. We were wondering what it was like. The fact that it's not a r.o. explains why it hasn't come up yet! Was it named because it flowers late as well as being a good grower? In the picture it looks nice but doesn't look particularly distinct from lots of other single marked hybrids. However, pictures don't always tell the whole story. How big are the flowers? Is it tall?

johnw

« Reply #221 on: November 29, 2009, 07:30:42 PM »
John, CAMBRIDGE look very nice in frontlightning. But why you are so stingy? 37 KB are too few for a good  pic.

Hagen

The big version is on its way to you.

johnw

johnw

« Reply #222 on: November 29, 2009, 08:16:41 PM »

re: Alex Duguid

Maybe others can tell us something about it as I know nothing.

johnw

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #223 on: November 29, 2009, 08:43:32 PM »
Quote from: Hagen Engelmann on Today at 06:34:16 PM

re: Alex Duguid...
Well, I can tell you nothing about the snowdrop that bears his name, but I can tell you a little about the late Alex Duguid. Last year I was singulalry unsuccessful in tracing a decent photo if the chap... so he will remain a mystery in that senses... unless a good phot turns up now....  :-\

Alex was the gardener to the Misses Edith and Molly Logan Home, who began Edrom Nursery in the Border country of Scotland and England. The ladies had a goodreputation as plantswomen but when Alex  took over and began to show at RHS events in London and so on, the name of the nursery became better known and lauded for its unusual plants. Alex handed over the nursery in due course to Jim Jermyn, and now it is in the capable hands of Cath and Terry. When Alex Duguid retired from Edrom he and his wife moved up to Aberdeenshire , where he continued to grow plants and have a great interest in the Scottish flora. He died some years ago, and I was lucky enough ( or stubborn enough) to buy a great many of his gardening books at auction in Aberdeen, including his entire bound set of AGS bulletins . 8)

Many plants have varieties named after  Alex Duguid.... Antennaria, Gentiana and so so. He was a great  grower and propagator whose showmanship skills were rewarded by his exhibition successes at the RHS.

Alex wrote for the SRGC Journal, here are some references:
DUGUID, A.: Calceolaria darwinii, 45/329

Raising Alpines from Seed, 39/137

The Cultivation of Hardy Primulas.. 16/227

Simple Propagation. 42/15

Propagation from Seed. 18/62

The Hills of Home, 38/70

The Season’s Ups and Downs, 26/71

Propagation by sphagnum, : 72/259

And on the Edrom website........

http://www.edromnurseries.co.uk/shop/pc/About-Us-d3.htm

Information about the snowdrop is given on page 132 of the Bishop, Davis and Grimshaw monograph.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 11:05:28 AM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

johnw

« Reply #224 on: November 30, 2009, 12:38:33 AM »
Maggi - Thanks for the Alec Duguid info.  It's always nice to know the face behind the name and such a distingushed plantsman of whom I knew nothing though I probably read his articles.

Now I have to ask should it be Alec or Alex as per the label that came with the bulb?

johnw

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal