We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus Autumn 2009  (Read 39345 times)

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
Re: Galanthus Autumn 2009
« Reply #150 on: November 18, 2009, 05:16:33 PM »
Mark ...I had the same idea  :D
"The bigger the roof damage, the better the view"(Alexandra Potter)

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #151 on: November 18, 2009, 05:16:59 PM »
I have not heard of 'Kastellorizon' - is this a German selection?
Arthur - the Joint Rock Garden Plant Committee awarded an AM to Bob & Rannveig Wallis for a pan of G. peshmenii 'Kastellorhizo' which they exhibited at Loughborough on 13th October 2007 (see show report, including photo, on page 99 of RHS Daffodils, Snowdrops & Tulips 2008-2009 edition). Their stock originated from the 1974 Graham Rix introduction from the Greek Island of Kastellorhizo.

For many years now, plants from Kastellorhizo have been circulating as G. peshmenii Kastellorhizo Form - rather confusingly, the show report says "This does not necessarily mean that any plant from this island race will fall within this cultivar"  ::)

Chris
Thanks for the information.  

Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #152 on: November 18, 2009, 06:47:47 PM »
G. transcaucasicus might fit the bill, if I can get some?
Anthony - I have made a note to send you up a bulb next year, probably when I do my repotting.
Thanks Chris. I'm beginning to think there should be an autumn snowdrop event? 8)
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

michael broadhurst

« Reply #153 on: November 18, 2009, 08:39:25 PM »
Hi Everyone
We have several unnamed clones of G. elwesii in flower and also 'Peter Gatehouse' and one we call 'Green Smudge'. A few of you have seen photos of 'Green Smudge' before but we have not posted pictures on the SRGC site before. 'Green Smudge' has fairly large flowers (eventually - they expand a lot as they mature) and very flat outer segments. In the centre of the segment near the apex there is a variable and irregular green patch (smudge). When we found it the green marks were almost perfect circles but it has never been like that since! On warm days the outer segments are held almost horizontal. The leaves are silver-grey and strongly recurved but short at the start of flowering. It has flowered consistently mid-November into December in both are most recent gardens (one light chalk, the other heavy clay). Unlike 'Remember Remember it does not fall over, maybe because the segments are not as thick and heavy. It is one of our favourite very early flowering G. elwesii but not one Rod Leeds will be talking about in February!

G. reginae-olgae Tilebarn Jamie, Eleni, and Mette are still looking good and Sophie has now produced a better shaped flower than the first one. Alex Duguid is just showing.
Does anybody know anything about G. reginae-olgae Lyzzick (not sure if that's spelt correct)?

snowdropman

« Reply #154 on: November 18, 2009, 08:48:31 PM »
Does anybody know anything about G. reginae-olgae Lyzzick (not sure if that's spelt correct)?
Mike - not sure if he is around at the moment, but I think that Melvyn Jope may be able to throw some light on this one.
Chris Sanham
West Sussex, UK

Eric Locke

« Reply #155 on: November 18, 2009, 09:52:14 PM »
Mike - not sure if he is around at the moment, but I think that Melvyn Jope may be able to throw some light on this one.

Michael

Not sure if Lyzzick is a reginae -olgae as the one I know is  winter flowering and is a hybrid. :-\
Melvyn Jope discovered winter flowering Lyzzick in the lake district and is named after the hotel in which grounds it was found. I am sure Melvyn will fill you in with more info.

Eric
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 11:27:38 PM by Eric Locke »

Melvyn Jope

« Reply #156 on: November 19, 2009, 10:23:43 AM »
Hello Michael,
First glad that Eleni, Mette and Sofia are looking good and especially that the second flower on Sofia is looking better than the first.
Lyzzick is not a Galanthus reginae-olgae selection and more likely a plicatus nivalis cross. It was originally found near a hotel of the same name in Cumbria and is a very strong grower in the garden.
It will flower February/March.
This is an image of the flower.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 02:36:43 PM by Maggi Young »

Jim McKenney

• Butterscotch: munching in Maryland
    • My Virtual Maryland Garden
« Reply #157 on: November 21, 2009, 06:57:31 PM »
In today's (November 21) Washington Post, on page F-1, under the heading “Plants noxious to D.C. area”  there is this: “Snowdrops (Galanthus nivalis) …are considered invasive and toxic and have colonized in many U.S. states where they are considered invasive alien flora.” 

We snowdrop enthusiasts on this side of the pond struggle against many hurdles which make it difficult for us to feel like fully fledged participants in the snowdrop surge. Now, it seems, I stand to be accused of encouraging and growing "invasive alien flora". 

Don't worry; I have a good sense of humor.

The snowdrop season has started here with a plant I call my Thanksgiving snowdrop. We celebrate the big national holiday Thanksgiving next week, and this plant is generally in bloom at that time. It's a selection of (nominally) Galanthus elwesii.
Jim McKenney
Montgomery County, Maryland, USA
My Virtual Maryland Garden
http://www.jimmckenney.com/
Blog! http://mcwort.blogspot.com/

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #158 on: November 21, 2009, 09:40:57 PM »
The snowdrop season has started here with a plant I call my Thanksgiving snowdrop. We celebrate the big national holiday Thanksgiving next week, and this plant is generally in bloom at that time. It's a selection of (nominally) Galanthus elwesii.

Jim - Does your plant leaf out before winter strikes?  Good to hear there are autumn bloomers for the east that stand the cold.  Congratulations.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Jim McKenney

• Butterscotch: munching in Maryland
    • My Virtual Maryland Garden
« Reply #159 on: November 21, 2009, 10:48:54 PM »
Jim - Does your plant leaf out before winter strikes?  Good to hear there are autumn bloomers for the east that stand the cold.  Congratulations.

johnw

Yes, the foliage is already four inches out of the ground. I grow this plant in a protected cold frame. Before I moved it into the cold frame, it survived for ten or fifteen years in the lawn, exposed to all weather.

There is nothing special about it except for its bloom time;  but of course that makes it very special, doesn't it?
Jim McKenney
Montgomery County, Maryland, USA
My Virtual Maryland Garden
http://www.jimmckenney.com/
Blog! http://mcwort.blogspot.com/

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #160 on: November 22, 2009, 05:41:28 AM »
Just catching up on all the posts -

- Nice to see Hagan's poculiform reginae olgae on page 6  :)

- Glad that Franz's bulb lawn is starting to entertain us already   8).

- Interesting to read everyones thoughts about 'Autumn Beauty'  :-\ .

- loving Han's 'Galanthus reginae-olgae -green tipped- 11.09.jpg' on page 9   :P

In my garden I have had flowers on Tilebarn Jamie and Hyde Lodge so far (thank you Martin for sending me the correct form ).  I guess about 75% of all my plants are showing signs of life with tiny green noses showing.
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #161 on: November 22, 2009, 11:33:56 AM »
Hey John,

Good to have your company again; haven't seen you in a while.  I suppose the snowdrops drew you out of your retirement (from the forum).

How are your own snowdrops going now? You reported worries about them last year; sent lots to your mother's garden for safe-keeping until the panic has passed etc.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #162 on: November 22, 2009, 11:58:20 AM »
Did anyone contact Wisley? I can find no reference on the internet for the people who sold the bulbs to Wisley.
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #163 on: November 22, 2009, 12:07:51 PM »
Yes, Mark, I wrote to Wisley but haven't heard from them yet.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #164 on: November 22, 2009, 12:48:22 PM »
Hey John,

Good to have your company again; haven't seen you in a while.  I suppose the snowdrops drew you out of your retirement (from the forum).

How are your own snowdrops going now? You reported worries about them last year; sent lots to your mother's garden for safekeeping until the panic has passed etc.

Paddy

Hi Paddy

My jungle garden is packed away into my little breakfast room so I should be visiting SRGC more and UKEG, GOTE, EPS, and HTUK less over the coming months.  This year I have managed to retain room for one chair in my little 'lean-to' so I can still sit and read, while surrounded by plants, with my morning cup of tea while watching the 57 sparrows fight over the bird feeders.  Mum and Dad will not be happy when they arrive for a stay next weekend as there is no longer a table and two chairs for their use :-\ .....  Perhaps I need to take some of the plants to my bedroom with me  ::)

179480-0

179482-1

Galanthus virus.... There is still one border in my garden that I am avoiding planting in as that is where my main virus problem was in 2007 - but I have made a new raised bed and plunged some of my 'pond baskets' into it - I still have about 50 snowies in baskets above ground  :o but one day I shall find a nice spot for them - or they won't be distinct enough to merit a place in my little piece of the earth anyway so will be given away to other enthusiasts to enjoy.

Not sure I will be able to do as many of my 'roving reporter' posts this year, without the driver - but..... I already have the Dunblane bulb show lined up and the RHS halls early spring show - so I will do my best.   ;) :D

Best wishes

John
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 12:50:05 PM by KentGardener »
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal