We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Paddy's Garden, a quick walk around  (Read 9346 times)

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
Re: Paddy's Garden, a quick walk around
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2009, 02:19:38 PM »
Oh to have a garden like that.  Mine looks more like a warehouse.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2009, 02:44:21 PM »
Where's the messy corner Paddy  ::) I hate when people want to see my tiny back yard because it's such a mess
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2009, 03:11:32 PM »
More lovely areas, what a lot of work, but not a weed in sight - are you responsible for all the weeding Paddy?   :o  The new bed is a great shape and I really like the way it is built up with rocks at the back to create a slope, a perfect way to see all the plants.
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2009, 03:37:50 PM »
Not much wonder Sid barks so well at strangers... he wants to keep paradise to himself!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2009, 07:15:10 PM »
Mark,

The trick is to keep all the mess in one corner. I have a good corner for compost bins and for holding the odds and ends etc.

Robin, On an occasion when a group was visiting the garden a lady in the group asked me how we kept the garden free of weeds (she just hadn't looked very carefully, to be honest). The answer I gave her, which left her lower jaw hanging, was that I put my wife out early each morning to do an hour of weeding before calling her to get my breakfast! The look of shock on her face was priceless.

Here are another few photographs, continuing from the top border, down the far side of the back garden to the lower end of the garden where there are two beds, somewhat kidney-shaped, with a grass patch between where I planted crocus last autumn and hope to continue with more this autumn,  an idea inspired by gardeners on this forum. One bed is called "The Hornbeam Bed" and the other "The Evodia Bed" referring to trees planted at the top of each bed.

Below these two beds there is a border running across the bottom of the garden with a footpath running behind it.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2009, 07:27:46 PM »
Continuing with the walkabout.

On one side of the back garden we planted a border of hydrangeas; might sound somewhat monotonous but it has become, in our opinion, one of the successes of the garden, great display of colour and very, very little work. The glasshouses are at the top of this border. The large glasshouse is used mainly for tomatoes, peppers, aubergines etc during the summer, veg seed propagation in spring and for an early crop of strawberries in early summer. The smaller one has some potted bulbs, succulents etc but bulbs in pots are doomed to death at my hands - I overwater despite  my best intentions.

Paddy

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2009, 07:32:53 PM »
And, to finish up what is in danger of becoming a marathon rather than a stroll about: the back of the house. The garden level is above that of the house and there is a retaining wall leaving a 3-4m space between the wall and house. I put steps for access to the raised area, a pond at the top of the steps and two raised beds, one at either side of the steps. Against the wall of the house there is a line of old Belfast sinks in which I grow some easy alpine plants.

Paddy

« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 08:42:09 PM by Paddy Tobin »

Hagen Engelmann

• treuer Schneeglöckchenfreund
    • http://www.engelmannii.de
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2009, 07:52:50 PM »
Oh Paddy, when I see the area of your garden, I can`t believe, that you will have the essential time for the galanthus next season ;). Fantastic livingground!!! Congratulation
Hagen Engelmann Brandenburg/Germany (80m) http://www.engelmannii.de]

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2009, 08:44:30 PM »
Many thanks, Hagen. We would say here in Ireland, "it keeps me out of harm's way" - keeps me busy when I might be doing other things which might not be so good.

You comment on the space but I always wonder where I will find space for another galanthus!

Paddy

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2009, 09:05:33 PM »
What a wonderful tour around your garden Paddy. Yes, everything neat and tidy but what I especially admire are the subtle colours of many areas and plants and the way they blend so harmoniously. You have created a real jewel of a garden and I'm so happy to have seen it. Thank you with all my heart.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2009, 09:08:59 PM »
Lesley,

It would be a real pleasure if you could ever come to visit. There are few things more enjoyable than good company and a chat about a commonly held interest. It's a great pastime, always something to be done, it's never work and it's never finished. I do enjoy it!

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2009, 12:09:02 AM »
Are you at home tomorrow? ;D
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 12:11:53 AM by mark smyth »
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2009, 12:43:23 AM »
Morning only.

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2009, 05:04:26 AM »
It is a miserable day here today, no inclination to do anything in the garden though the grass could do with a run, but all your very nice comments have brightened it up.
Paddy

very nice garden--and very organised and well tended!
i'm interested in the distinction between grass and lawn, that goes over my head ...?

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2009, 10:26:42 AM »
Paddy, what a real haven you and Mary have created, every corner you turn there are such varied plantings - the hydrangea bed is terrific and I wonder if you grow two of my favourites, Annabelle and the oak leaf one that gives such fantastic Autumn colour?  Your 'choice' trees give your garden real structure and it will be fun to see it all mature throughout the seasons.  The whole tour has been wonderful and I for one look forward to more photos of different aspects to admire.
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal