We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: October 2009 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 42158 times)

Tecophilaea King

• traveling off the beaten track
Re: October 2009 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #150 on: October 14, 2009, 09:49:28 PM »
For a change of scenery, here are a couple of Camelia pictures flowering in our garden, to brighten up your NH people, where the days are getting shorter, darker, gardens becoming dormant, and bulbophiles dreaming of the next spring display to come.
When it comes to spectacular flowers, attractive evergreen foliage and shrubs that are hardy and will flower almost in every position as well, camelia's are hard to beat.
Bill Dijk in Tauranga, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand
Climate zone 10

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #151 on: October 14, 2009, 10:16:08 PM »
Those two are really brilliant Bill and photographed at the peak of perfection before there's a brown flower. Or have you been up a ladder all morning, removing the marked ones? :D For that reason I generally prefer the "self-cleaning" camellias like 'Cornish Snow' and transnokoensis whose flowers just drop off when they're ready and don't go brown first.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Tecophilaea King

« Reply #152 on: October 14, 2009, 10:56:01 PM »
Luc, with the best will in the world, I'd have to say that 'Kirigamene' is not REALLY as intense as that but it is a very good deep violet-blue with wide, full-bodied petals. It is, in fact, Iris setosa var hondoensis, found at Kirigamene in Japan in 1930 and marketed in the USA as 'Kirigamene.'

Lesley,it may be my photography, my bias or the climate up here in the north island, but I still think Iris setosa var.hondoensis is really a stunning, breathtaking flower, the purest, strongest deep violet-blue colour I have come accross, this species is still one of my favourites. At least we agree to disagree  ;D
Thanks anyway for the correction, the explanation and the background to this beautiful flower, when you buy plants, names are not always correct and sometimes confusing or misspelled.
No, I have not been up the ladder as yet to remove the spent flowers, especially when it is raining cats and dogs up here, but agree with you that they can be messy when they start dropping the flowers, it will make good compost and keep me out of mischief when cleaning up. ;D ;D.
Climate zone 10

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #153 on: October 15, 2009, 12:00:27 AM »
to brighten up your NH people, where the days are getting shorter, darker, gardens becoming dormant, and bulbophiles dreaming of the next spring display to come.

you really know how to rub it in  ;)
the camellias are lovely; indoor plants only here, and not very suitable for that...lol

Tecophilaea King

« Reply #154 on: October 15, 2009, 01:40:27 AM »
to brighten up your NH people, where the days are getting shorter, darker, gardens becoming dormant, and bulbophiles dreaming of the next spring display to come.
you really know how to rub it in  ;)
the camellias are lovely; indoor plants only here, and not very suitable for that...lol

Cohan, you will return the favour one day next spring  ;D ;D
Climate zone 10

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #155 on: October 15, 2009, 01:54:40 AM »
somehow i feel your winter will just not be that long and oppressive ;)
i know lesley had some nasty days, but it seemed there were already flowers againwhen i thought the winter had just started... and i gather you are in a milder area?

my contribution will more likely be to extend spring flowering into what everyone else thinks is mid-summer...lol

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #156 on: October 15, 2009, 02:01:24 AM »
Bill,
stop teasing the Northerners >:(, they can't help it! ;D

My favourite evening primrose, Oenothera acaulis, is just coming into bloom again.
171447-0

cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Tecophilaea King

« Reply #157 on: October 15, 2009, 02:03:51 AM »
Yesterday I had a look at some of the other juno irises, like the delicate I.Sindpers and beautiful I.orchioides, both of them are not going to flower this year  :( :(
Not to disappoint you, I will show you the pictures taken last season
Climate zone 10

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #158 on: October 15, 2009, 02:59:05 AM »
Bill,

Wow, I love the orchioides. :o
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Tecophilaea King

« Reply #159 on: October 15, 2009, 03:32:23 AM »
Just to fill in a dreary, miserable wet day, I will show a few pictures of the colourful winter flowering Oxalis species (finished flowering now)
This is a very large genus which unfortunately gained a bad reputation because of the invasive tendencies of some species, especially here up north in the North Island. Many are delightful plants which do not become weeds. Some of those which become troublesome can be safely contained if grown in pots or containers. Many species make a superb display when grown in in shallow containers in the middle of the winter, when not much is flowering in the garden.
Here are just a few species we grow, but just recently got rid of 90% of the whole Oxalis collection, cutting down on the work load.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 04:54:37 AM by Tecophilaea addict »
Climate zone 10

Tecophilaea King

« Reply #160 on: October 15, 2009, 04:03:54 AM »
Just a few more closeups of the Oxalis species.
Climate zone 10

Tecophilaea King

« Reply #161 on: October 15, 2009, 04:09:12 AM »
OK, found a few more Oxalis closeups, you must be getting sick of them by now. ;D ;D ;D
Climate zone 10

Tecophilaea King

« Reply #162 on: October 15, 2009, 04:16:51 AM »
How do you Aussie cobbers get on with the Oxalis species in Australia, do you grow them?   
Climate zone 10

Tecophilaea King

« Reply #163 on: October 15, 2009, 04:25:00 AM »
I just discovered I got 3 stars now and a full member, wow, what does that mean?
That nobody will hassle me anymore and always agree with me?  ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 04:45:09 AM by Tecophilaea addict »
Climate zone 10

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #164 on: October 15, 2009, 04:28:23 AM »
Bill,

It just means you posted a certain number of posts.... sorry to burst your bubble like that.  :o

As to Oxalis.... I grow a bunch of them, but not having a nursery or your sort of space to grow masses of them like that, I never get anything like your wonderful colour palette. :'(  The big advantage you have with so many of your things is that you obviously have the space so that you can grow a lot of everything.  it certainly makes for breathtaking pictures!!  I look at these and feel embarrassed at my poor little pots of Oxalis...... they'll hide their heads in shame.  ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal