We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: October 2009 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 42789 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: October 2009 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #240 on: October 20, 2009, 08:37:45 PM »
Yes it's certainly a lovely Wisteria, very Japanese with its long racemes. The stumpier ones though gorgeous, look less oriental. :)

Paul, usually the cause of bearded irises failing to flower well is that they maybe need lifting and dividing with big strong rhizomes replacing the older ones. That could be your problem? Otherwise, a topdressing with some well composted humus and lime.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #241 on: October 20, 2009, 10:19:46 PM »
More little bearded irises today but starting with one of my favourite plants, Rubus x Tridel 'Benendon.'

172904-0

Carats
172906-1

Footlights
172908-2

Sparky
172910-3

Cinnamon Apples
172912-4

Busy Bee
172914-5

Lemon Puff
172916-6

Desert Orange
172918-7
This has lovely colour but overall, is weak with unhealthy foliage.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #242 on: October 20, 2009, 10:38:36 PM »
Lesley,

Definitely not the case with a lot of mine at the moment..... just for some reason I haven't got many spikes.  I gave them all a good feed last summer as well, so they should have been fine.  Just one of those quirks I think.  A shame too, as our Horticultural Society Iris, Rhododendron and Azalea show is this weekend.  ::)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #243 on: October 21, 2009, 01:05:45 AM »
Ixia viridiflora flowering today.
Hi Ray,
I think you're growing the hybrid "Teal" ( or "Amysthena"?) rather than the species. I had the true Ixia viridiflora many years ago and it is truly green rather than this duck-egg blue ( which I love nonetheless). The true species is much less easy to keep in cultivation and the hybrid has been grown as a substitute for a long time here in Oz (and other places).
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #244 on: October 21, 2009, 01:16:43 AM »
Fermi,

In that case we have more varieties here than we thought we did.  My 'Amethystina' is definitely not what Ray is growing.  It doesn't have anywhere near depth of colour in the centre, the flowers are rounder and closer together, and it is much bluer than I see in Ray's pic (which I see as a greeny blue, rather than a blue).  If you're saying that there is even further green in the species then there are even more things going around as the true species.  That beautiful blue-green in Ray's with the large dark centre is what I remember as viridiflora.  I wonder how many different things we have under the name then?
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

ajbroome

• Oxalis and such
« Reply #245 on: October 21, 2009, 05:35:45 AM »
Folks,

A Clivia miniata hybrid flowering at the moment, obtained near death from the local Bunnings mid-November last year, for $5 or something.

A quick repot and a year under a Camellia seems to be doing it some good...

Andrew.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 05:37:19 AM by ajbroome »

ajbroome

• Oxalis and such
« Reply #246 on: October 21, 2009, 05:40:36 AM »
Folks,

The same form of Arisaema consanguineum (ex Guy Gusman) that Doug posted the other day.

Mine is still a few days off having the flower open.  The single leaflet rising out of the middle is typical of A. consanguineum so it possibly really is that species.

Andrew.

ajbroome

• Oxalis and such
« Reply #247 on: October 21, 2009, 05:44:12 AM »
Folks,

My first open Arisaema flower this (and every) year is the hybrid between Aris. sikokianum and Aris. takedae (now Aris. serratum I think).  Sadly, like both parents it doesn't seem keen to divide so I've only ever had the one plant of this clone and my other clone went the way of every Aris. sikokianum I've tried to grow. :(

Still, a nice thing.

Andrew.

ajbroome

• Oxalis and such
« Reply #248 on: October 21, 2009, 05:46:47 AM »
Folks,

Babiana rubrocyanea, not as nice a display as Bills but the wind and rain hasn't been kind to them for me this spring.

Andrew.

ajbroome

• Oxalis and such
« Reply #249 on: October 21, 2009, 05:49:40 AM »
Folks,

A plant I obtained as Lachenalia zeyheri but people have suggested it's actually L. contaminata.  I remain to be convinced so am sticking to the label it came with.  It divides readily and seeds freely for me, one of the few Lachenalia to do either under my conditions.

Andrew.

ajbroome

• Oxalis and such
« Reply #250 on: October 21, 2009, 05:52:39 AM »
Folks,

Ledebouria cooperi (often distributed as Scilla adlamii or S. cooperi).  Not flowering just yet but the leaves are looking good.

Andrew.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #251 on: October 21, 2009, 06:28:16 AM »
Andrew,

Great pics.  I love that Arisaema hybrid... beautifully dark flowers.  You have me concerned about my Scilla adlamii/cooperi/whatever now.  I think it has gone to the Goddess.  ::)

Nice motorcycle!!  FAR more interesting background view than my crappy back yard.  ;D 8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Ray

« Reply #252 on: October 21, 2009, 09:06:48 AM »
Hi Fermi,you may be correct in saying that this Ixia is not the true species,but it is a good imitation of it, and no way is it Teal or Amethystina,the petals are an aqua colour not blue.My blue Ixia's are at least 2 weeks away from flowering.After many years of having this bulb this year I will have 4 flower spikes so I agree with you that it is not easy to grow in cultivation and I wish it did grow like Teal.bye Ray
Ray Evans
Colac
Victoria Australia

Tecophilaea King

• traveling off the beaten track
« Reply #253 on: October 21, 2009, 10:58:50 AM »
Bill, both little irises are Pacific Coasters, the yellow almost certainly a nice form (selection) of I. innominata, perhaps bred up a little. The second has wider foliage so probably has some douglasiana in it. There are super dwarf forms of douglasiana, some only 15 cms high. I have a nice one a bit taller and just beginning to bud up now. The colour is the same as yours but the petals a bit wider. Pic below. You can have some fresh seed later if you like.

Thanks for the approx.ID for those PC irises Lesley, and perhaps we could exchange more seed or bulbs later, when we swap our wanted seed or bulb list privatly.
Bill Dijk in Tauranga, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand
Climate zone 10

Ray

« Reply #254 on: October 21, 2009, 11:22:43 AM »
A Paeony and Lachenalia taken today bye Ray
Ray Evans
Colac
Victoria Australia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal