We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: October 2009 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 42133 times)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Re: October 2009 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #270 on: October 21, 2009, 10:41:59 PM »
Lesley,

Thanks for the Xeronema frost tenderness information.  Does sort of complicate growing it here.  I shall just have to love it from afar!!  ;D ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #271 on: October 22, 2009, 07:45:29 AM »
Hi Fermi,you may be correct in saying that this Ixia is not the true species,but it is a good imitation of it, and no way is it Teal or Amethystina,the petals are an aqua colour not blue.My blue Ixia's are at least 2 weeks away from flowering.After many years of having this bulb this year I will have 4 flower spikes so I agree with you that it is not easy to grow in cultivation and I wish it did grow like Teal.bye Ray
Sorry to doubt you, Ray. As it is a long time since I grew the true species my memory may be more vivid than the true plant! ;D
The difficulty in keeping it may be the main indication that it's the real deal.
I'll wait to see if the seed from RSA produces anything closer to what I remember.
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

ajbroome

• Oxalis and such
« Reply #272 on: October 22, 2009, 09:10:09 AM »
Paul,

I've had a tray of Xeronema seed grown plants sitting outside for 2 or 3 winters with no problems.  We get several frosts a year, generally only down to -3C or so but occasionally down to -5C or more.

They do fine in their cramped tray but as soon as I try and move one in to a 'proper' pot it immediately dies...  :(  The parent plants are in a garden in Wanganui (45 minutes from me but close to the sea) and flower prolifically every year.  I'll see if my buddy has any seed next time I'm talking to him.

Andrew.

Tecophilaea King

• traveling off the beaten track
« Reply #273 on: October 22, 2009, 11:28:01 AM »
Paul, the Xeronema is definitely tender. I had one once in another garden and the first light frost to touch it...dead!
Yes Lesley is right to a certain degree, Xeronema callistemon does not like heavy frost, like the heavy frost she gets sometimes in the deep south, and if planted in the wrong spot, like a cold, damp, poorly drained position, yes one can loose the plant.
We have had many light frosts up here in the North Island this winter (admittedly no heavy frost) and it never effected the plants, they survived no problem, and went on to flower magnificently, in spite of the light frosts we experienced.
Again, if you can provide the right location and conditions, don't let it stop you from trying, this plant can be a real show stopper in your garden and award you with a display to die for.
The Xeronema callistemon can also be grown (and often more successful) and flowering in a container, which can be relocated as required and placed on the patio or deck to great effect, as can be in this picture taken a few years ago.
In a container it does not mind being rootbound, which can actually promote flowering more quickly and prolifically.
If you enjoy a challenge, or like the bold, handsome foliage or both than the Poor Knights lily is worth a try.
Why not give it a go Paul, even in a container.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 11:31:00 AM by Tecophilaea addict »
Bill Dijk in Tauranga, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand
Climate zone 10

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #274 on: October 22, 2009, 11:45:33 AM »
Bill,

Spoken like a true salesman.  I'll have 6 please!!  ;D

Seriously though, by the sound of it I'd give it a go at least.  Given it's aptitude to pots, that helps a lot.  In my little covered shadehouse over winter on a top shelf for extra warmth, another one on the front stairs next to the Worsleya, maybe another against the front of the house.  Even if the seedlings take ages I still think it would be worth it for the unusualness alone (not like that has EVER affected my choice of plants before  ::).  Addict, thy name is Paul. :o
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 11:51:04 AM by Paul T »
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Tecophilaea King

« Reply #275 on: October 22, 2009, 12:29:18 PM »
I think Ray's Ixia viridiflora is pretty much the right thing.
On my screen it is definitely green rather than blue and the flower shape is right. It is always a sea green rather than grass.
Compare it with this hybrid, which appeared in a friend's garden.
As far as the Ixia viridiflora is concerned, they can be a striking greenish-blue or turquoise colour.
We grow two different clones/selected forms and both are distinctive in colour as opposed to the (sea) green colour.
Even Brian Mathew in his 'Dwarf Bulbs' book describe the I.viridiflora as extraordinary greenish blue flowers with a blackish-purple eye.
And well known author Patrick M.Synce in his 'Bulbs' book defines this plant as an startling shade of elctric greenish blue colour, a most unusual plant.
Anyway I enjoy the magnificient Ixia viridiflora immensely, one of my favourites, whatever shade of colour.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 12:36:36 PM by Tecophilaea addict »
Climate zone 10

Tecophilaea King

« Reply #276 on: October 22, 2009, 01:20:07 PM »
Another couple of plants flowering in the garden/nursery.
The well known popular Iris sibrica  and an very colourful Australia import called Russellia equisetiformis (I think).
Is that the right spelling Paul, do you know/grow it?
Climate zone 10

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #277 on: October 22, 2009, 01:31:05 PM »
The blue stands of Iris siberica are heavenly, Bill, always something astonishingly beautiful comes out of your nursery  :D
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 12:50:36 PM by Ragged Robin »
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #278 on: October 22, 2009, 05:22:03 PM »
Bill - The Russellia is exquisite!

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #279 on: October 22, 2009, 09:58:45 PM »
Bill,

Have seen it growing before, but never knew what it was to be honest.  Briliant plant, isn't it!! 8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #280 on: October 23, 2009, 01:47:29 AM »
Some little things today.
Rhododendron Oban and in close-up
173442-0

173444-1

Haberlea rhodopensis virginalis
173446-2

Houstonia caerulea
173448-3

and both together
173450-4

Trillium pusillum var ozarkanum
173452-5

and two of Fritillaria cirrhosa. I bought this just a week ago and at the time thought it could be affinis (still in bud then) but gloriously, it is true. 8)
173454-6

173456-7

« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 12:19:52 PM by Maggi Young »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #281 on: October 23, 2009, 03:20:08 AM »
Wonderful Lesley, all of them.  :o :o
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #282 on: October 23, 2009, 03:20:34 AM »
Lesley

A smashing Oban.  It really is a unique shade of pink that's hard to describe and one of my favourites.

I think huge flocks of birds (evening grosbeaks?) have stripped the Gaylussacias bare but remind me next August for seed.  Obviously you have sprouted it before unlike most. I wonder why some have problems with it.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #283 on: October 23, 2009, 07:10:17 AM »
John, my Gaylussacia wan't grown from seed, not by me at any rate. I bought it from, I think, the late Jim LeComte who had many wonderful ericaceous small plants in his nursery. I think he imported it from Scotland in the first place.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 12:21:19 PM by Maggi Young »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Tecophilaea King

« Reply #284 on: October 23, 2009, 10:17:47 AM »
Zantedeschia aethiopica 'Marshmallow'
This delightful new variety has just opened up and produces the most beautiful pearl white flowers with a delicious marshmallow pink throat.
These elegant flowers are complimented by lush, deep green glossy foliage.  The slender stemmed blooms make lovely cut flowers.
Climate zone 10

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal