We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: October 2009 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 42167 times)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Re: October 2009 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #90 on: October 10, 2009, 08:59:52 AM »
Bill,

I doubt that the offspring would look much like the parent, even with self pollination.  I think they're so hybridised within colours (i.e not line bred) that there will be some like the parent but a lot that aren't.  If you end up with spare seed I'd be interested, particularly of that last browny one that you posted.  I just love em, and they most definitely aren't grown enough.

I refer to them as PCN because I was introduced to them as Pacific Coast Natives, but I have seen the PCI used heavily as well.  As long as we know what we're all talking about it doesn't really matter..... well within reason anyway.  ;D

Is your Cypella a single clone, or does it set seed?  Some species seem to be self-fertile while others aren't, which is why I ask.  Some of them you definitely need multiple clones before you'll get anywhere with seed.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #91 on: October 10, 2009, 09:16:55 AM »
What a treat as our days get colder, darker and wetter, to see these wondeful flowers leaping into flower in the Southern Hemisphere.
No  wonder you are all so excitied to be out with your cameras!

I have never seen that Magnolia 'Genie' before: SO DARK! Glorious 8)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Tecophilaea King

• traveling off the beaten track
« Reply #92 on: October 10, 2009, 09:50:22 AM »
The last of the miniature daffies variety to flower for this season. Narc.Sundisk.
Bill Dijk in Tauranga, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand
Climate zone 10

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #93 on: October 10, 2009, 09:58:46 AM »
Maggi,

I must admit, I rather noted Magnolia 'Genie' as well.  Is it another of the NZ breeding like 'Star Wars', 'Vulcan' and 'Black Tulip' (all 3 of which I grow here)?
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Tecophilaea King

« Reply #94 on: October 10, 2009, 10:05:46 AM »
Is your Cypella a single clone, or does it set seed?  Some species seem to be self-fertile while others aren't, which is why I ask.  Some of them you definitely need multiple clones before you'll get anywhere with seed.

Last year this Cypella species for the first time set seed and have seedlings coming along, so must be self-fertile.
This time we'll have to wait, hopefully will oblige again.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 11:01:02 AM by Tecophilaea addict »
Climate zone 10

Tecophilaea King

« Reply #95 on: October 10, 2009, 11:22:03 AM »
The last posting for the night, four more DBI's, just managed to snap them before the rain came down again.
11.40 pm, I am off to hit the sack. Good night and good morning.
Climate zone 10

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #96 on: October 10, 2009, 12:31:51 PM »
The last of the miniature daffies variety to flower for this season. Narc.Sundisk.

What a glorious way to end the season, Bill, these N. sundisk are very striking as it the vase you have them in  :)
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #97 on: October 10, 2009, 12:33:22 PM »
All very nice, Bill.  Love the DBI.

Glad to hear that the Cypella is fertile.  Makes it much easier for you to multiply your stock.  ;D  Once thing I like (but only found out about last year) about Cypella aquatilis is that it produces bulbils on the flowering stems.  I kept meaning to harvest them and grow them on but forgot about them with everything else going on at the time.  There's still 3 or 4 of them that are currently growing where the flower stems fell over into the bog next to the main clump.  They have little shoots up about an inch tall now.  This species is evergreen (for those who don't know) which I am assuming helps with it tolerating the permanent wet.  Such a cool genus.

OK, I'll stop my enthusiastic Cypella muttering now.  G'night (or G'morning) all.  8)

P.S.  The only daff still to flower here is Narcissus biflorus, which I discovered was in bud today.  I only rebought it this year after having had it years ago.  Will be interesting to see it again.  I don't recall it being quite this late though.  ::)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

ajbroome

• Oxalis and such
« Reply #98 on: October 10, 2009, 07:50:55 PM »
I'm a big fan of Cypella too although I only grow C. aqualtilis at the moment. I now C. coelestis is also in the country and am actively looking to acquire that and any others.

Andrew.

kiwi

• Go the All Blacks!!!
« Reply #99 on: October 11, 2009, 01:34:27 AM »
Maggi,

I must admit, I rather noted Magnolia 'Genie' as well.  Is it another of the NZ breeding like 'Star Wars', 'Vulcan' and 'Black Tulip' (all 3 of which I grow here)?

Beautiful tree flowers twice a season as well! Hybrid of M. soulangeana x M.lilliflora ' Nigra'.
Breed by Vance Hooper in NZ.
Will get a shot of the open flower for you.

Doug Logan, Canterbury NZ.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #100 on: October 11, 2009, 01:49:32 AM »
That would be wonderful, Doug.

Is Vance the person who bred Vulcan etc as well?  Is this one going to be going overseas as well?
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

kiwi

• Go the All Blacks!!!
« Reply #101 on: October 11, 2009, 02:55:42 AM »
That would be wonderful, Doug.

Is Vance the person who bred Vulcan etc as well?  Is this one going to be going overseas as well?

No, that was Mark or Felix Jury. Genie has been out for a few years so I would think it would have left our shores by now.
Doug Logan, Canterbury NZ.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #102 on: October 11, 2009, 04:04:54 AM »
Doug,

Thanks.  I couldn't remember who bred the others.  So how does 'Genie' compare colour-wise to those others?  And size-wise.  Always hard to tell from a picture.  ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

ajbroome

• Oxalis and such
« Reply #103 on: October 11, 2009, 05:16:15 AM »
Folks,

Vance Hooper grows some nice plants.  I've been to his house  (just out of New Plymouth) and he's where I got my Haemanthus coccinea x albiflos plants from.

He has a back yard full of some very nice Magnolia hybrids/selections...

Andrew.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #104 on: October 11, 2009, 05:43:14 AM »
Some lovely things above and over the last couple of days. We could almost pretend it was spring again instead of the winter we're having yet again. Driving me mad!

Can't help with those two plicata TBs Bill. There are so many. The darker is a bit like 'Stepping Out' but I think it may have more veining around the edges of the falls. They're both good though.

Here are a few more of my little ones flowering for the first time. I'm looking forward to seeing them next year when they're planted out and making decent clumps.

170485-0
Michiana

170487-1
Mama's Pet

170489-2
Ruby Contrast

170491-3
Mary B

170493-4
Blue Moss

170495-5
Red Pixie

Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal