We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: October 2009 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 42836 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: October 2009 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #165 on: October 15, 2009, 05:02:37 AM »
That nobody will hassle me anymore and always agree with me?  ;D ;D ;D

Sorry Bill, not a chance. According to the boffins including Tony Hall at Kew (MR Juno to us, thanks), what you are calling orchioides is, in fact, an all gold form of bucharica.
A great collection of Oxalis in bloom. What do you do with O. palmifrons for flowers. Never had a single one on mine though it grows like crazy. :'(
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 05:05:24 AM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Rogan

• Beetle daisy
« Reply #166 on: October 15, 2009, 07:48:01 AM »
"I just discovered I got 3 stars now and a full member, wow, what does that mean?"

It just means you've got far too much time on your hands and you should be growing more Oxalis and things...   ;D
Rogan Roth, near Swellendam, Western Cape, SA
Warm temperate climate - zone 10-ish

Hristo

« Reply #167 on: October 15, 2009, 09:50:40 AM »
Bill,

Love your Oxalis, stunning plants!
Rogan is right, the number of stars you have is directly proportional to the amount of gardening time
you have lost!!
Hristo passed away, after a long illness, on 11th November 2018. His support of SRGC was  much appreciated.

Tecophilaea King

• traveling off the beaten track
« Reply #168 on: October 15, 2009, 11:06:22 AM »
Sorry Bill, not a chance. According to the boffins including Tony Hall at Kew (MR Juno to us, thanks), what you are calling orchioides is, in fact, an all gold form of bucharica.
A great collection of Oxalis in bloom. What do you do with O. palmifrons for flowers. Never had a single one on mine though it grows like crazy. :'(

Lesley,that's what I like, straight out confrontation, no prisoners taken  ;D ;D
Aanyway, I acquired this I.orchioides juno seed from a reputable grower/collector and always thought/presumed it to be the true species, and was not aware that the boffings had change the name again into the all yellow juno bucharica.
I put/placed the picture also on the Juno irises page, for conformation or denial by the experts.

I don't do anything with the O.palmifrons, just forget about them, they seem to thrive on neglect.
I usually plant them in a very sandy mix, chuck them in a sunny spot in the nursery and just ignore them.
I leave them in their containers for years, till they get almost rootbound,that's when they start flowering.
Bill Dijk in Tauranga, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand
Climate zone 10

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #169 on: October 15, 2009, 11:31:41 AM »
RE : Iris orchioides  etc: here are  a few pix from around the Forum to assist.....

I will make a search of the old Forum when time permits, as I think we had this discussion back in the day, too!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 11:56:24 AM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Onion

« Reply #170 on: October 15, 2009, 08:39:22 PM »
OK, found a few more Oxalis closeups, you must be getting sick of them by now. ;D ;D ;D

Bill,

very nice to get sick from the Oxalis  ;D than from the cold frosty wheather here.
Fantastic pictures you post the last weeks. Thanks a lot to show us your diamonds.

Uli
Uli Würth, Northwest of Germany Zone 7 b - 8a
Bulbs are my love (Onions) and shrubs and trees are my job

Tecophilaea King

« Reply #171 on: October 15, 2009, 09:29:01 PM »
RE : Iris orchioides  etc: here are  a few pix from around the Forum to assist.....
I will make a search of the old Forum when time permits, as I think we had this discussion back in the day, too!

Thanks Maggi, it looks like I have to settle for Iris bucharica.
Climate zone 10

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #172 on: October 15, 2009, 10:16:28 PM »
Could't find the page I thought I remembered from the old Forum, so I think it must just have been in the current version, where comments were made about the plants I showed the pictures of earlier.  :-X
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #173 on: October 15, 2009, 10:28:34 PM »
Someone told me, could have been Tony when he was here or could have been John L in Pennsylvania maybe, that Bill's is the form of bucharica sometimes called 'Danchaube' or something like that. Can't fine the reference I want either Maggi.

I had an endoscopy this morning and it has put me off bananas for months to come. Don't think it's made my memory worse though. ;D
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 10:37:39 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #174 on: October 15, 2009, 10:31:36 PM »
I would have thought my O. palmifrons was sufficiently rootbound to flower Bill, if that's what does the trick. They've been in the same large pot for years and make a wonderful mat of foliage. But they do die off quickly (aready, now) so maybe I need to keep them in active growth longer for their nutrition's sake. Too late this year but I'll try that next year. Val Robertson in Timaru reckoned hers flowered after she put a cowpat in the bottom of the pot. ???

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #175 on: October 15, 2009, 10:36:21 PM »
Just two pics this morning, Iris verna first, a new plant. I keep getting another one because it is so hard to find and also because I love it so much that I want to try it in a couple of different places as well as have one in a pot for a show maybe, though it will be too late for NZAGS spring show.
171601-0

and DB Iris Forte, a lovely smooth and tailored red. As you see we are having more rain, or rather, a thick drizzle today.
171603-1

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #176 on: October 15, 2009, 11:04:23 PM »
Lesley,

That verna is beautiful.  'Forte' is another I used to grow. It had the most wonderful velvety texture from memory and a great colour. 8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #177 on: October 16, 2009, 12:39:02 AM »

Thanks Maggi, it looks like I have to settle for Iris bucharica.

But a DIFFERENT bucharica Bill, and what's in a name anyway? The plant is still a beauty.

Tecophilaea King

« Reply #178 on: October 16, 2009, 12:01:39 PM »
Hippeastrum papilio has gorgeous orchid-like cream flowers with maroon and green markings.
These flowers are 10-15 cm in diameter and appear mainly in late spring to early summer.
Climate zone 10

Tecophilaea King

« Reply #179 on: October 16, 2009, 12:28:24 PM »
Two more Gladioli species have just finished flowering under cover to stop the rain from spoiling the flowers.
Gladiolus alata is a charming little species, producing slightly fragrant hooded flowers, mainly in shades of orange.
Gladiolus cardinalis has brilliant scarlet flowers with white markings.
Put your sunglasses on again Luc  ;D ;D
Climate zone 10

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal