We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: October 2009 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 42156 times)

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
Re: October 2009 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #180 on: October 16, 2009, 04:05:20 PM »
 8) 8) ;D
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Tecophilaea King

• traveling off the beaten track
« Reply #181 on: October 16, 2009, 10:32:52 PM »
Here is another Juno Iris species just opened up a few days ago.
According to Franz Köhlein's "Iris" book description, this Juno vicaria, (syn.Iris orchioides var.coerulea) comes from central Asia on stoney slopes in Turkestan.
Very closely related to Juno magnifica. The stalk is very well-developed and the blossoms are blue-violet, with dark yellow spots on the falls. Little known and probably not cultivated, according to this expert.
Just one expert's opinium I suppose, can anyone confirm/verify or tell us more about this species?
PS: what do the Iris/Juno growers/members think of Franz Köhlein's "Iris" book? Has anyone got this book?

And don't you start (or even think about it) messing around or changing the botanical name either Lesley  ;D ;D ;D

« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 10:34:48 PM by Tecophilaea addict »
Bill Dijk in Tauranga, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand
Climate zone 10

Tecophilaea King

« Reply #182 on: October 17, 2009, 03:05:28 AM »
I am not sure about this Iris laevigata, wheather this is the species, a form or a named cultivar. (another exchange from a Iris friend)
It needs moist, fertile soil to thrive and can tolerate standing water, if the level does not exceed a few centimeters.
Because its range is so widespread, the species can't possibly be uniform and amongst plants growing in the wild are specimens with the bluest blossoms colour of any iris, apart from the blinding violet-blue colours of I.setosa (keep those sunglasses on Luc) ;D ;D
To flower abundantly, I.laevigata requires an open sunny lacation.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 03:08:02 AM by Tecophilaea addict »
Climate zone 10

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #183 on: October 17, 2009, 03:19:52 AM »
Bill,

I grow my laevigatas in permanent ponds, always submerged, and they seem to thrive.  I find that the ensatas need it a bit drier (i.e roots below and crown above water), but the laevigatas prefer to be permanently wet and underwater (well for me they're loving it, so I must admit I have never tried them in a garden situation).  

There are quite a few different named varieties both in the single and "double" types (in these cases, for those who don't know, the double is 6 falls and the single is 3 broader falls and 3 standards).  I have a lovely deep blue/purple called 'Royal Cartwheel', and a single pinky one called 'Rose Queen' as well as a white called something like snowdrift, and a lovely variegated with blue flowers called 'Elegantissima'.  All still quite a way off flowering here as yet, although the 'Elegantissima' has the lovely new foliage looking quite spectacular.

I have a similar variety to yours which I think from memory is atropurpurea, but I will try to check through my records and see what I can come up with.  I seem to recall posting it here before, and the horror that the splotchy petals elicited in some.  ;D

Great to see yours already in flower.  8)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 03:30:12 AM by Paul T »
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Tecophilaea King

« Reply #184 on: October 17, 2009, 03:52:15 AM »
Bill, I grow my laevigatas in permanent ponds, always submerged, and they seem to thrive.  I find that the ensatas need it a bit drier (i.e roots below and crown above water), but the laevigatas prefer to be permanently wet and underwater (well for me they're loving it, so I must admit I have never tried them in a garden situation).  
There are quite a few different named varieties both in the single and "double" types (in these cases, for those who don't know, the double is 6 falls and the single is 3 broader falls and 3 standards).  I have a lovely deep blue/purple called 'Royal Cartwheel', and a single pinky one called 'Rose Queen' as well as a white called something like snowdrift, and a lovely variegated with blue flowers called 'Elegantissima'.  All still quite a way off flowering here as yet, although the 'Elegantissima' has the lovely new foliage looking quite spectacular.
I have a similar variety to yours which I think from memory is atropurpurea, but I will try to check through my records and see what I can come up with.  I seem to recall posting it here before, and the horror that the splotchy petals elicited in some.  ;D
Great to see yours already in flower.  8)
Thanks Paul, for the Iris info, Irises are not my strongest point, I am still learning, as Lesley keeps telling me.  ;D ;D
Do they set seeds?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 03:55:57 AM by Tecophilaea addict »
Climate zone 10

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #185 on: October 17, 2009, 04:19:19 AM »
Bill,

Judging by the setup you have, the rest of us still have a lot more to learn than you do.  ;)  Irises are a love of mine, although I don't grow the level of species that some here such as Lesley do.  She's the one to be asking about irises and how they behave in NZ!!  8)

I'f you're after laevigata seed i can see about hand pollination.  I don't "recall" them setting seed before, but I do tend ot remove the spent flowerheads so that could be easrly enough that I never know.  I know that the other water irises set seed (pseudacorus, 'Holden Clough' etc) but can't recall the laevigatus doing so.  I haven't tried hand pollinating though.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

kiwi

• Go the All Blacks!!!
« Reply #186 on: October 17, 2009, 05:02:54 AM »
A wet start to spring has the garden bounding into life...

Scilla peruviana
Trillium erectum
Arum apulum
paeonia obovata var alba
Paris quadrifolia
Celmisia hybrid C. semicordata X C.laricifolia
Doug Logan, Canterbury NZ.

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #187 on: October 17, 2009, 07:48:51 AM »
Celmisia hybrid C. semicordata X C.laricifolia[/i]

wow! is that really as silver as it looks?

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #188 on: October 17, 2009, 09:12:17 AM »
Doug, great photos of your plants enjoying the Spring wet - especially like the Paris photo showing the seed/berry - how do you describe it?  I think I saw them in the wild here in the Alps but would like to know more about them.
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #189 on: October 17, 2009, 07:04:49 PM »
Great set of pix Doug !!
Nice to get the Spring feeling...  :D ... in Autumn... :(
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

kiwi

• Go the All Blacks!!!
« Reply #190 on: October 18, 2009, 04:20:08 AM »
It is quite silvery, though are more green when fresh. Heres a better shot of foliage.
photo 2, a nice color combination.
First flower on Arisaema consanguineum (wild collected Guy Gusman)
I love podophyllum!!! Spotty Dotty.
Arisarum vulgare.
A wider shot of my Paris quadrifolia.
Another shot of my Paeonia obovata var alba - divine!!!

kiwi

• Go the All Blacks!!!
« Reply #191 on: October 18, 2009, 04:33:37 AM »
Doug, great photos of your plants enjoying the Spring wet - especially like the Paris photo showing the seed/berry - how do you describe it?  I think I saw them in the wild here in the Alps but would like to know more about them.
Hi Robin, I'm new to the Genus, but I'm loving them!!! I believe this species is widespread throughout Europe, Britain, Russia and Asia. Easy to grow, and forms large clumps. Get seed every year. I still haven't got round to getting this one in the ground yet.

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #192 on: October 18, 2009, 04:42:23 AM »
It is quite silvery, though are more green when fresh. Heres a better shot of foliage.
photo 2, a nice color combination.

thanks--nice plant; we have some great silvery antennarias, but then mostly flowers are not that exciting....of course the composites are always more silver on the other side ;)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #193 on: October 18, 2009, 04:49:19 AM »
Bill, I'm not arguing with your Iris vicaria. If true, it's a very nice form. I have it from several different sources and they are all paler blue, almost white in some.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 05:03:50 AM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #194 on: October 18, 2009, 05:03:00 AM »
Here are a few pictures from today, once the rain had cleared away. The first is for Paul who loves black flowers. So do I.

I found two identical seedlings of this black viola in our gravel driveway. They are the same as the NZ plant Viola 'All Black' which is sterile so I doubt if they are from that and in any case I haven't had it for at least 5 years I think. Also like the Irish 'Molly Sanderson' which seeds about but I've never had it. Not 'Bowles' Black which is a form of V. tricolor, so who knows? Anyway, I've rescued them and will keep on with them, from cuttings.
171821-0

Then Erigeron aureus, a golden American.
171823-1

How to stuff up a plant in two easy lessons. Pic one is a new plant of Androsace jacquemontii from a couple of years ago. Pic two is the same plant today after growing outside in all weathers.
171825-2

171827-3

Oxalis 'Matthew Forest' is a hybrid of Ox. laciniata.
171829-4

And two little irises, more to come tomorrow most likely. First DB Iris 'Well Suited.' These dark forms are all different but the distinctions are subtle rather than strong. I like this one, somewhat ruffled.
171831-5

And one which everyone seems to want, 'Tu Tu Turquoise.'
171833-6
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 05:04:53 AM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal