We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: October 2009 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 42729 times)

Tecophilaea King

• traveling off the beaten track
Re: October 2009 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #285 on: October 23, 2009, 10:38:23 AM »
and two of Fritillaria cirrhosa. I bought this just a week ago and at the time thought it could be affinis (still in bud then) but gloriously, it is true. 8)

Lesley, that Friillaria cirrhosa is just gorgeous, I wish I could grow Frits like that.
Must be the climate, that does not stop me from trying again, even if they only last a few seasons.
You must tell me sometimes privately where you buy all those exquisite Frits, for next season.  
Bill Dijk in Tauranga, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand
Climate zone 10

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #286 on: October 23, 2009, 11:04:23 AM »
Bill,

Do you find that Marshmallow, aka Pink Mist aka another name I've forgotten just now, flowers well for you?  Unlike the straight aethopica which is a brilliant flowerer, I find that the "pink" version has very few flowers for me each year, if I am lucky enough to get any of them.  I am guessing that it must require a lot more water than the species does to flower, and I'm just treating mine the same as the species and the other coloured smaller varieties.  ::)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Tecophilaea King

« Reply #287 on: October 23, 2009, 11:50:11 AM »
A couple of charming, interesting, early spring flowering little species.
They have finished flowering for now, but will still show the pictures for a bit of variety.  
Polyxena pauciflora has flowrs that are pale to deep lilac in colour, and has a delightful honey scented perfume as a bonus.
Scilla verna has starry lilac-blue flowers with deep lavender anthers appearing just above the foliage in spring.
Climate zone 10

Tecophilaea King

« Reply #288 on: October 23, 2009, 12:11:41 PM »
Bill,Do you find that Marshmallow, aka Pink Mist aka another name I've forgotten just now, flowers well for you?  Unlike the straight aethopica which is a brilliant flowerer, I find that the "pink" version has very few flowers for me each year, if I am lucky enough to get any of them.  I am guessing that it must require a lot more water than the species does to flower, and I'm just treating mine the same as the species and the other coloured smaller varieties.  ::)

I bought this plant last season, and has settle down well, but has only produces 3 flowers so far.
I have seen this Marshmallow plant commercially forming  big clumps, with plenty of flowers, mainly for cut flower production.
I was told they need plenty of water during the growing season, to promote more flowers for picking.
I have not tried the straight Z.aethopica, but grow a few of the many, smaller mainly colourful varieties.
Climate zone 10

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #289 on: October 23, 2009, 12:45:36 PM »
Bill,

The straight species still flowers well for me without being watered any more than the normal garden.  Sounds like I should put the pink back into a pot and sit it in a basin of water while in growth to get more flowers from it.  At the moment for me it has been pretty much a pointless effort, given the lack of flowers.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #290 on: October 23, 2009, 12:55:41 PM »
Wonderful plants in your garden, Lesley, the Rhododendron Oban looks almost raspberry in colour, really lovely.

The plant combination that has caught my eye is Haberlea rhodopensis virginalis with Houstonia caerulea, both are so unusual looking and I have never heard of them before.
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

ajbroome

• Oxalis and such
« Reply #291 on: October 24, 2009, 01:24:01 AM »
Folks,

Arisaema ringens, common but still a nice plant.  A bit slower for me this year for some reason.

Andrew.

ajbroome

• Oxalis and such
« Reply #292 on: October 24, 2009, 01:25:51 AM »
Folks,

Bulbinella caudis-felis, I think the robot must've coughed when making the flower in the 2nd photo.

This one generally sets seed for me if anyone is interested?

Andrew.

ajbroome

• Oxalis and such
« Reply #293 on: October 24, 2009, 01:27:12 AM »
Folks,

Gladiolus carneus, the first flower for the season - I expect several more over the weeks.

I *like* species Gladiolus. :)

Andrew.

kiwi

• Go the All Blacks!!!
« Reply #294 on: October 24, 2009, 09:10:20 AM »
Love that gladiolus Andrew.

Visited a friends garden who has some stunning plants, here's a couple of beauties.
Rhododendron 'Lems Cameo'
Arisaema kishidae
Doug Logan, Canterbury NZ.

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
« Reply #295 on: October 24, 2009, 10:05:29 AM »
Folks,

Gladiolus carneus, the first flower for the season - I expect several more over the weeks.

I *like* species Gladiolus. :)

Andrew.

A super looking gladiolus, Andrew - would love to see it later on with more flowers if possible?

Also love you photo of Arisaema ringens showing the markings and shape off  :D

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
« Reply #296 on: October 24, 2009, 10:07:51 AM »
Rhododendron 'Lems Cameo' is soooo beautiful, Doug, your friend must be really pleased - perfect conditions it seems  8)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #297 on: October 24, 2009, 10:45:30 PM »
Bill, there's nothing private about any of my frits. I buy if they are available and cirrhosa came from Hokonui Alpines in Gore but the vast majority (I have about 90) are grown over many years from seed. You could join the NZ Fritillaria Group who have a decent seed list and there's the Frit group of AGS in the UK who have a better seed list though not all are on the Bio Index. Maybe in the summer you'd like to think about swapping a few of your gorgeous South Africans for a few of my frits? We'll talk about it soon.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #298 on: October 24, 2009, 10:49:35 PM »
Robin, Rh. 'Oban' is a real honey, very small and compact but is one I always hesitate to photograph because the colour never comes out right. I posted it this time because it's the closest I've managed. The pink has a real touch of terra cotta in it which I find impossible to capture, so if you think it's nice here, it really is much nicer in the real thing. Happily, it's very easy and quick from cuttings too.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #299 on: October 26, 2009, 02:11:50 AM »
Tropaeolum beuthii from SRGC Seedex 2009
174122-0174124-1

Dutch Iris "Thunderbolt"
174126-2174128-3

And Asphodeline damascena is about to start flowering; it's between the iris and the dianthus ;D
174130-4

cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal