We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: October 2009 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 40300 times)

Tecophilaea King

• traveling off the beaten track
Re: October 2009 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #330 on: October 29, 2009, 11:20:06 AM »
A nice picture of Gladiolus carneus, I think, not 100% sure, does anyone knows this species?
Bill Dijk in Tauranga, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand
Climate zone 10

Calvin Becker

« Reply #331 on: October 29, 2009, 11:25:54 AM »
The second is also a well-known and appreciated tree, the mauve Jacaranda tree, making another colourful display.

The jacaranda trees are in full bloom in here in SA too. There are plenty on the varsity campuses and the superstition amongst the students and lecturers is that if you haven't started studying for year-end exams by the time the jacarandas have started blooming, things aren't looking too good for you! ::) On the other hand, if a flower falls on your head, it's a sign of luck and you should pass. Hence they are popular places to sit during the exam period!
Plant pathologist (in training)
Johannesburg/Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Tecophilaea King

« Reply #332 on: October 29, 2009, 11:35:04 AM »
Bill, I'm over the moon with your photo - I love the *Jacaranda tree, what a fabulous colour combination with the native Pohutukawa
* A  friend of mine had grown some from seed and has promised me one - it grows in Liguria/Italy - if there is one tree I have to grow it's this one  :)

Robin, would you like a high resolution image for your screensaver?
You'd be more than welcome, just drop me a line.
Climate zone 10

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #333 on: October 29, 2009, 12:48:21 PM »
It's a pretty little thing Robin.

Rogan - The Griffinia is sensational, the colour arresting. You should save some pollen and dab it on other Amaryllidaceae! Can you image getting that blood into Rhodophiala? 

How large are the bulbs and flowers?

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #334 on: October 29, 2009, 07:52:59 PM »
Dear Mr Dijk, do you have a small confession to make? Are you, by any chance, using a colour enhancement function in some of your pictures? ;D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #335 on: October 29, 2009, 08:22:36 PM »
Dave, your pink-flowered Podophyllum is a stunner. I do hope you are hand pollinating! :)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Tecophilaea King

« Reply #336 on: October 30, 2009, 12:04:26 AM »
Dear Mr Dijk, do you have a small confession to make? Are you, by any chance, using a colour enhancement function in some of your pictures? ;D

Dear Mrs.Cox, yes I humbly confess being guilty of using a software program called FastStone Image Viewer (a very good free program) that I use with various functions, like image viewer, management, comparison, red eye, contrast, cropping, and colour ajustments features if necessary.
I sometimes use this image viewer sparingly to improve the quality of the picture, like contrast or brightness, if the the image was under or over exposed, as well as cropping or resizing the pictures.
If, on the odd occasion the contrast and brightness is not always right, I try to enhance the image as close as possible to the true colours, which can at times turn out brighter or duller, depending on the weather, and/or on whatever settings the camera can produce.
Anyway, I will always keep on trying to present the highest possible quality images to the best of my ability.
Thanks for your posting and concerns Lesley, regarding the pictures, always appreciated.
No rest for the digitally enhancing criminal  ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 09:53:45 AM by Tecophilaea addict »
Climate zone 10

Tecophilaea King

« Reply #337 on: October 30, 2009, 01:05:33 AM »
Another couple of geophytes that are flowering at the moment.
Sandersonia aurentiaca is another colourful species, and the rich golden bell-shaped flowers are in high demand for floral work.
Conanthera bifolia: this native from Chile with flowers of a blue to deep purple blue and a cone of yellow anthers protruding from the center, make a good contrast to the blue perianth.
No enhancement or manipulating the images necessary this time.  8) ;D :D
BTW: the colour of the Conanthera could have been a bit darker, will try harder next time  :-[  :-[ :-[
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 01:17:49 AM by Tecophilaea addict »
Climate zone 10

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #338 on: October 30, 2009, 03:38:14 AM »
Bill,

The Gladiolus doesn't mesh with my mental image of G. carneus.  I don't recall that delicate pink shading, and the shape looks a bit different I think?  I'll see if I can find out more.

I love the pics you're posting, even if some are colour-wise too good to be true.  That Conanthera is glorious.  :o  The street trees are pretty spectacular, aren't they!!

Dave,

That Podophyllum is wonderful.  What a colour.  I have to find sources here in Aus for more of these. 8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Ray

« Reply #339 on: October 30, 2009, 08:05:31 AM »
Hi Bill,i think G carneus looks more like my pic in reply 316 this topic.bye Ray
Ray Evans
Colac
Victoria Australia

Tecophilaea King

« Reply #340 on: October 30, 2009, 09:08:46 AM »
Here is another classic example whereby the camera takes a snapshot of this colourful Calydorea xiphioides, which turned out to be slightly overexposed.
By digitally manipulating the image in the second picture, FastStone Image Viewer can enhance the colour to the point of being reasonable true, better than it was before. We end up with the right image, problem solved.
Climate zone 10

Tecophilaea King

« Reply #341 on: October 30, 2009, 09:44:25 AM »
Its that time of the season once again to harvest the seeds of our cross pollinating/breeding the various species and/or cultivars and trying to raise some interesting, exciting new hybrids, hopefully with the good charicteristics of both parent plants, we aimed for.
I always get a kick out of seeing the first flower/seedling open up, sometimes exciting when it turned out to be a beauty, other times disappointing, but always something to look forward to.
The pictures shows mainly nice fat seedpods of Narc. cyclamineus species crossed with other fertile varieties like Snipe, Little Beauty, Atom, Gipsy Queen, Golden Snipe, Kibitzer, Mitzy, just to mention a few.
No, the the seedpods have not been digitally enlarged  ;D ;D ;D
Climate zone 10

Tecophilaea King

« Reply #342 on: October 30, 2009, 10:25:55 AM »
Hi Bill,i think G carneus looks more like my pic in reply 316 this topic.bye Ray

Ray, yes your Gladiolus sp. is definitely Glad. carneus, according to the picture in the 'Gladiolus in Southern Africa' book by Peter Goldblatt and John Manning, and watercolours by Fay Anderson.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 10:29:54 AM by Tecophilaea addict »
Climate zone 10

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #343 on: October 30, 2009, 10:30:50 AM »
Bill,

That is more like my mental image of the species.  Yours lacks the dark chevrons etc, and has quite an interesting look for exactly that fact.  I don't know what yours is, but it is very nice.  Much more "delicate" looking without the dark markings, and I love the delicate shadings of colour.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Rogan

• Beetle daisy
« Reply #344 on: October 30, 2009, 10:40:27 AM »
Nice pods Bill, seed always excites me unduly...

"that's a lovely flower and colour to match of that Griffinia espiritensis.
If you get some seed later, I would love to exchange a few seeds, for anything you might be interested in.
Thanks"

Sorry to have to say this but my plant is monoclonal and is unlikely to set seed. I will however, be saving some pollen under dry, freezing conditions, so if anybody else wants some for their plants, please let me know.

John, the flowers are approximately 40mm across and the bulbs somewhat less - they seem to offset freely.

Bill, I've had seed-raised bulbs of Calydorea xiphioides for many years now and they never flower - is there a secret to getting them to do so? Judging by your beautiful photos they are very striking little plants indeed.
Rogan Roth, near Swellendam, Western Cape, SA
Warm temperate climate - zone 10-ish

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal