We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Foliage now- October 2009  (Read 17510 times)

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
Re: Foliage now- October 2009
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2009, 10:07:44 PM »
The Autumn has taken a long time to arrive here, Cohan, September was an exceptionally warm month for the time of year.  Can hardly believe that you are experiencing such cold so soon.
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2009, 10:15:45 PM »
Well, actually September was exceptionally warm here (Alberta) too... October, though, has been exceptionally cold!  Still snow on the ground here, and about -8 -6 deg C right now.  
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 12:06:38 AM by Lori Skulski »
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2009, 06:24:12 AM »
yes, lori is right, in my area, and probably hers too, late august and september had some of the warmest days of the entire summer (which is not usual here)..i think this is the reason for the trees being rather late colouring and dropping leaves.. i should find some pics of the last couple of years to compare dates..

at work today (around 30k west and nearer the mountains, which means slightly diff weather, often) it snowed lightly most of the day, it seemed, though there was little new accumulation; in town, with ice on the roadsides, it looks like mid-winter, except with leaves on the trees!

Olga Bondareva

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2009, 05:15:36 PM »
Euonymus alatus

Eionymus maximoviczianus

Acer pseudosieboldianum
Olga Bondareva, Moscow, Zone 3

dominique

• River Dweller
  • passionated by bulbs since 1978,
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2009, 10:59:39 PM »
very nice Olga, thank you
do

Pontoux France

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2009, 01:39:55 AM »
Such wonderful colours in the autumn. It is perverse of me that in mid spring I am yearning for autumn colour.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2009, 06:41:09 AM »
am i the only one that is unable to see these photos of olga's? i keep returning, assuming its a temporary glitch that will right itself, but hours later, and several other threads where i can see the pics, i still just get little red exes for these.....

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2009, 07:50:53 AM »
Cohan,

It sounds like for some reason Olga's photos are blocked for you.  That unfortunately is the problem with having them stored outside of the forums, instead of uploaded and stored here within the SRGC forum.  It might be worthwhile you right clicking with your mouse on one of the red Xs and seeing whether you have an option of unblock the server.  I have the option when I right click that allows me to block images from that location, so I am wondering if somehow this has been activated for you and that is why you can't see them.

Without something like that, I'm not sure how you'll be able to see the pics unfortunately.  Because they are stored outside of the forums there is nothing that can be done to help from within here as far as I know.  :-\
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2009, 08:18:41 AM »
Cohan,

It sounds like for some reason Olga's photos are blocked for you.  That unfortunately is the problem with having them stored outside of the forums, instead of uploaded and stored here within the SRGC forum.  It might be worthwhile you right clicking with your mouse on one of the red Xs and seeing whether you have an option of unblock the server.  I have the option when I right click that allows me to block images from that location, so I am wondering if somehow this has been activated for you and that is why you can't see them.

Without something like that, I'm not sure how you'll be able to see the pics unfortunately.  Because they are stored outside of the forums there is nothing that can be done to help from within here as far as I know.  :-\

interesting...i cant even see that they are stored outside the forum, nor where they are stored... could be my firewall then, though its not telling me that anything has been blocked that i could unblock; right click is doing nothing either...

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2009, 08:22:25 AM »
Cohan,

The only way I can tell they're outside the forum is by right clicking on the images and choosing properties.  That an the option to "Block images from....." are the only evidence of them being not the usual method of storing files here.  Either way, it sounds like for some reason you cannot access the servers that Olga stores her files on.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2009, 08:29:49 AM »
a few from here (wild plants); these are Ribes sp, several of which are very common here, and nice in several seasons--they have some of the earliest leaves in spring, when any hint of life is greatly appreciated! flowers and berries of different colours in summer, and some of the earliest and brightest fall colours;
these shots are from mid september..
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 08:31:36 AM by cohan »

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2009, 08:35:28 AM »
Cohan,

The only way I can tell they're outside the forum is by right clicking on the images and choosing properties.  That an the option to "Block images from....." are the only evidence of them being not the usual method of storing files here.  Either way, it sounds like for some reason you cannot access the servers that Olga stores her files on.

it is odd, i had looked at properties, and it lists an URL, but my system says nothing about blocking or not.. no indication i can find that my firewall is involved; i tried pasting the URL on another page, and it simply doesnt open..maybe one of those IE things...

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2009, 08:38:32 AM »
Lovely muted bronze and purple with such a pretty leaf, Cohan  :D  I love the last photo angle with the spiders web like a hammock  8)

PS is you Avatar stuck in 'July in the Rockies'  or is it just wishful thinking?   8)   ;)

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2009, 08:43:35 AM »
Lovely muted bronze and purple with such a pretty leaf, Cohan  :D  I love the last photo angle with the spiders web like a hammock  8)

PS is you Avatar stuck in 'July in the Rockies'  or is it just wishful thinking?   8)   ;)

tks, robin, the spiders have their hammocks, and rope ladders, and tightropes, and whatever else they feel like, all over the place!

i was thinking recently it was about time for a new avatar photo, but i havent taken many of myself lately; i'll have to dig about or take a new one ;) yours took me by surprise at first--i thought, oh, a new poster! ;)

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2009, 08:49:21 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D
When the snow comes I think the new Forum polo shirt might not be suitable for an Avatar but I wanted to show Maggi it arrived  8)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal