We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Foliage now- October 2009  (Read 17769 times)

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
Re: Foliage now- October 2009
« Reply #75 on: October 26, 2009, 08:35:14 AM »
John, I'm so excited to see your Rhododenrons with that wonderful deep intense red brought on by Autumn cold.  Your close ups dhow the leaves perfectly, even the hairs!  Thanks for all the information too.  You leucaspis is just magic lit up against those dark leaves  :D
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #76 on: October 26, 2009, 11:19:56 AM »
Robin - If you like hair the hybrid - quite unlike myself  - has lots on the new shoots.

johnw
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 03:46:29 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
« Reply #77 on: October 26, 2009, 11:22:23 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D 8)

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #78 on: October 26, 2009, 02:55:43 PM »
Now I appreciate that John, I just love the shoots of rhodos (at this point I have to say that the motto of Norfolk is Dew different!)
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

johnw

« Reply #79 on: October 26, 2009, 03:54:55 PM »
. Hostas are fantastic in this respect but I doubt if I could grow them in the Alps so I will have to admire them on these pages.

Robin  - I can send you seed of the dwarf mucronulatum if you are interested.  As it comes from Cheju-Do, high up, you should have no problem with it and snowload.  BTW Hostas should do great for you, start with the best and don't catch the bug - you only need three - Devon Green, June and English Fragrance; I'm bound to get into trouble with a statement like that.  

johnw

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
« Reply #80 on: October 26, 2009, 05:58:44 PM »
John, I would love to try growing your dwarf mucronulatum from seed but need to know what to do - also there is a postal strike in the UK so everything is chaotic, I think.  When should you sow the seed?

Have been on the web to look at your suggestions and 'yes' have got sucked in to all the wonderful Hosta leaves and Fragrances but am still not sure they wold do well here at 1,200 metres, freezing cold winters and dry baking hot summers - Spring and Autumn ones would be best I suppose but haven't seen anyone else growing them here - now there's a challenge  ;D
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 06:21:15 PM by Ragged Robin »

johnw

« Reply #81 on: October 26, 2009, 07:56:51 PM »
Robin -  I had no idea you would be baking hot in the summer in the alps at that altitude.  I must do some  summer travelling and get out of the fog to see what happens when the sun shines elsewhere.

Probably the best thing to do would be to just sprinkle some of the rhodo seed in a scree in the autumn and some more in the spring and sit it out.  This mucronulatum should be able to handle cold if Lori is growing it (Crater's Edge - a selected form of var. taguettii)  so well in Calgary.  How cold and hot does it get there?

The mail from here would go directly to Switzerland and thus avoid the UK strike. PM me your address if you still want the seed. At the moment I fear there is a precious snowdrop shipment of ours in that heap of 65 million back-logged letters in London!

johnw

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #82 on: October 26, 2009, 10:47:26 PM »
Robin, John and Brian, if you like hair (or feel the lack of it) you should take a look on the CALOCHORTUS thread at C. elegans var nanus. It has hair to spair. :)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 10:49:17 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #83 on: October 26, 2009, 10:50:49 PM »
And yes John, you're in trouble over the Hosta statement. ;D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

johnw

« Reply #84 on: October 26, 2009, 11:06:23 PM »
Robin, John and Brian, if you like hair (or feel the lack of it) you should take a look on the CALOCHORTUS thread at C. elegans var nanus. It has hair to spair. :)

Lesley

Thank-you so much for the dig.  The top of my head is now feeling more like the Azorella compacta in the Peru thread - you know, the one with the discarded toupée to the left of the plant.

http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=4391.0

johnw

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
« Reply #85 on: October 26, 2009, 11:45:33 PM »
...all the wonderful Hosta leaves and Fragrances but am still not sure they wold do well here at 1,200 metres, freezing cold winters and dry baking hot summers - Spring and Autumn ones would be best I suppose but haven't seen anyone else growing them here - now there's a challenge  ;D

Robin, hostas are quite indestructible.  They are commonly grown in the coldest parts of the Canadian prairies - I mean where they have real winters, e.g.  lows of -40 C for a few weeks at a time, and hot summers (unlike these wimpy Calgary winters where our relatively brief cold spells are regularly broken by chinooks, and the summers are chilly).  There have even been hosta breeders resident in those parts, so I doubt very much that your conditions would faze them.  
You would probably grow Rhododendron mucronulatum much better than I can, provided you normally have snow cover through the winter (as I expect you probably do).  In normal winters here, the flower buds are generally killed off by the lack of lasting snow cover (unless protected, of course).  (Last year was an exception, with the unusually heavy and persistent snow, and I actually got to see it in full bloom for the first time in 11-12 years!)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 01:33:08 AM by Lori Skulski »
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #86 on: October 27, 2009, 02:16:46 AM »
Truly sorry John, :D but as I've not seen a picture of you I wasn't really sure whether you were in need or not. If I were a man I think I'd rather be the Azorella than the discarded toupee. Bald is considered sexy nowadays and a couple of my most favourite men are smooth as baby's... ;D
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 07:23:41 PM by Lesley Cox »

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #87 on: October 27, 2009, 04:23:29 AM »
Robin, hostas are quite indestructible.

Unless you have snails about, then they're VERY destructible.  I grow very few because they fall prey to the snails all the time.  ::)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #88 on: October 27, 2009, 08:44:01 AM »
Look for modern hybrids Paul. They are bred for thick texture and toughness, and snails just don't bother with them and they stand even severe hail storms. They provide great autumn colour too, usually deep honey colours and gold. (Of course I can say this as I have no snails. 8))

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #89 on: October 27, 2009, 10:37:35 AM »
No snails!!  Oh to have no snails!!  ::)  They are positively heartbreaking beasts, I tell you!!  >:(
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal