We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Foliage now- October 2009  (Read 17499 times)

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
Re: Foliage now- October 2009
« Reply #90 on: October 27, 2009, 11:18:34 AM »
No snails  :o :o :o  Unbelievable....we have plenty of Roman ones here that munch through everything especially in mid Spring/ after rain - never thought I was providing the perfect habitat for them either in the cool root run places designed for Alpines not B&B for snails!  Still, it's very good news that there are Hostas which are snail and slug resistant and great leaf colour and I shall have a go and see what happens.  

Thanks everyone for all the information and experiences of growing Hostas - I'm glad the subject came up, even if Lesley says you're hot water for your suggestions John  :P

Lori, we do have deep snow until March (still skiing season up until Easter) from sometime before Christmas.  Already there is snow on the high peaks and the temperature has been fluctuating like mad from frosty to very warm.  Amazed to see that some seed I scattered of the wild lily is already up and growing away (it's the white one I posted in one of my Alpine walks in Valais)

Temps here are: average 25-35°C from June – September   average -1-15°C December – March
The Valais region has over 300 days of sunshine a year and an average precipitation amount of 500 to 600 mm/year (19 – 23 inches)
At 1200 metres the weather is variable by a few degrees

Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

pehe

• Autumn flowering bulbs
« Reply #91 on: October 27, 2009, 12:15:13 PM »
Nice pics of autumn colours Jamie, John and Lori!

Some autumn colours from my garden.

Poul

Cornus Kousa.jpg
 Hosta.jpg
 Sedum.jpg
 Sorbus with mistletoe.jpg
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 01:08:53 PM by Maggi Young »
Poul Erik Eriksen in Hedensted, Denmark - Zone 6

pehe

• Autumn flowering bulbs
« Reply #92 on: October 27, 2009, 12:21:31 PM »
And some flowers.

Poul

Arum pictum.jpg
 Crocus banaticus seedlings.jpg
 Crocus nudiflorus seedling1.jpg
 Crocus nudiflorus seedling2.jpg
 Crocus medius.jpg
 Crocus speciosus1.jpg
 Nerine sarniensis.jpg
 Nerine Stephanie.jpg
 Sternbergia sicula Dodona Gold1.jpg
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 01:08:29 PM by Maggi Young »

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #93 on: October 27, 2009, 05:06:12 PM »
Lovely Autumn look to your garden, Poul, the group of C speciosus in the brown leaves is fabulous
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #94 on: October 27, 2009, 07:21:32 PM »
I had snails in a previous garden and when I weeded, I heaved them out into the street where cars did for them but I had to stop that. The stench of rotting meat became unbearable. ::)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #95 on: October 27, 2009, 07:29:02 PM »
Poul, I do like your Nerine 'Stephanie,' a really spidery appearance, or just maybe wild hair (unlike some :).

The Cornus kousa too. Mine doesn't colour as well as that, maybe not cold enough.

Robin my mother's garden had snails and once she captured a couple in a jar for me to take for a "school show and tell" thing. She gave them a fresh lettuce leaf for their supper and later in the evening when everyone else had gone to bed, she HEARD them munching away on their salad. :o
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #96 on: October 28, 2009, 04:06:45 PM »
A few more either colouring up for autumn or putting on their woolies for winter. The Potentilla nitida dickinsii could be a bit of a self-seeding pest if unleashed in the garden.

johnw
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 07:35:12 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #97 on: October 28, 2009, 04:14:42 PM »
Surely that isn't Potentilla nitida, John?
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Robert G

• Trees and everything that grows under them
« Reply #98 on: October 28, 2009, 04:32:16 PM »
John,

Great shots of some smaller specimens. I find my myself  bending to check out the fall form and foliage of some of my little plants.
Metcalfe, Ontario in Canada USDA Zone 4

johnw

« Reply #99 on: October 28, 2009, 07:32:58 PM »

Cliff - Of course it isn't nitida . It's Potentilla dickinsii. How did I manage to pull that name out of the hat?

Posting now corrected. Keep an eye on me!  ::)

Just in the process of cleaning Magnolia species seed - 5 and 10 pound lots, what a mess.

johnw
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 07:36:39 PM by johnw »

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #100 on: October 28, 2009, 07:43:30 PM »

Cliff - Of course it isn't nitida . It's Potentilla dickinsii. How did I manage to pull that name out of the hat?

Posting now corrected. Keep an eye on me!  ::)

johnw

Only if you will reciprocate, John?   ;D
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

pehe

• Autumn flowering bulbs
« Reply #101 on: October 28, 2009, 08:05:47 PM »

The Cornus kousa too. Mine doesn't colour as well as that, maybe not cold enough.

Lesley, I think the colouring is depending upon the soil. I have two cornus kousa in my garden, the one shown above is placed among Rhododendron in an acid, humid soil. The other is placed in a more neutral soil 10 meters away and it does not have the same rich colours. Both are cuttings from the same mother plant.

Poul

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #102 on: October 28, 2009, 09:12:17 PM »
Thanks for that Poul. My garden is quite neutral except where I've added either peat or lime. I must dig some arround the Cornus.

John that is a stunning Potentilla for autumn coloir. As to P. nitida, mine has produced a single flower in maybe 15 years. Why haven't I thrown it out?

When does Cornus canadensis flower please? I hoped my 7 plants would this spring but no sign though they're growing well and will be planted out as soon as the rain clears.

johnw

« Reply #103 on: October 28, 2009, 09:42:13 PM »
Lesley  - Cornus canadensis blooms sometime around June 1st here. I can't say exactly, not something I pay much attention to as it's everywhere.  It oftentimes grows in the forest duff above the soil and wanders through that. A bit of a pest for me in the south along with Clintonia borealis and the cursed Maianthemum both which behave the same way.  We often see intermittent flowering all through the summer and a few flowers in the autumn on aberrant Cornus plants.  The soil and duff here is extremely acidic.  The Cornus also grows on rotting stumps and logs. Torture it a bit.

You are not the first to ask about flowering it! 

johnw

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #104 on: October 28, 2009, 10:24:35 PM »
Oh well, there's hope yet then, as that would be December here. It is very acidic where it will be going and there's quite a lot of accumulated leaf litter so maybe it will feel at home. My late mother had flowers at least sometimes, but so long ago I'd forgotten when. She never had fruit but it was a single clone. That's why I'll plant out all 7 in a patch. The odds in favour of both male and female must be quite high. :)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal