We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: November 2009 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 30505 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: November 2009 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #75 on: November 12, 2009, 08:24:24 PM »
Thanks Susan, for supplying the required culinary details. You're right, it ain't no walk in the park, even though it's a National Park (and World Heritage area now?)

If you're at the OFM on Saturday, call at the caravan, I have a page that may amuse you. :D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #76 on: November 12, 2009, 08:25:46 PM »
..........This meant no cake, but had the whisky in a flask and (close your eyes if this is offensive) wine in a can.  It was an Australian red and I have to say, you had to be pretty desperate to drink it.  It was on a special and I have never seen it since, obviously not a great hit, even with trampers!

Susan, I think they sold the last vat for paint stripping 8)
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #77 on: November 12, 2009, 08:26:22 PM »
It's not a cake walk then Lesley ???
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
« Reply #78 on: November 12, 2009, 08:33:49 PM »
there is a hiking trail apparently in southern alberta in Dinosaur Provincial Park which must be paid for, but that's because of fossils; the plants can be seen elsewhere for free...

The charge is actually for a narrated bus tour on a narrow dirt road loop into the dinosaur-dig area of the backcountry, not for access to any hiking trail.  (I have never taken the public tour but have driven along the same route and gone into the backcountry in a few places while on a specially-arranged geology field trip.)  The bus tour does not involve any hiking opportunities beyond walking a few steps to the odd lookout point though.

The only publicly-accessible hiking trail in Dinosaur is a loop from the campground through the sagebrush flats down to the cottonwood groves along the Red Deer River - a couple of kilometers long -  which is part of the reason why we don't go there often... though the scenery, bird-watching and plant life are otherwise alsolutely fascinating.  (Of course, if there was normal access to the backcountry, it would be stripped clean of fossils in no time!  This area is actually the field research area for the Royal Tyrrell Museum of Palaeontology in Drumheller, Alberta.)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 08:35:29 PM by Lori Skulski »
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #79 on: November 12, 2009, 09:03:15 PM »
Definietely not a cake walk David, and I don't believe they let golliwogs go on it either. :)

Oh God, is someone going to upbraid me for being politically incorrect, or for racism?
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #80 on: November 12, 2009, 09:05:33 PM »
Lesley, when people get to our age they'r entitled to be as un-politically correct as possible just to annoy the ranks of the politically correct ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Susan

• Shoe Pixie
« Reply #81 on: November 12, 2009, 09:20:34 PM »
I think they sold the last vat for paint stripping

David, I wish I could get some now.  I am currently stripping window frames and the "eco friendly" stuff is worse than useless.
Dunedin, New Zealand

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #82 on: November 12, 2009, 09:44:06 PM »
Lesley, when people get to our age they'r entitled to be as un-politically correct as possible just to annoy the ranks of the politically correct ;D
I'm relying on it David.

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #83 on: November 13, 2009, 07:09:16 AM »
Flowering for the first time from seed (NARGS 2007 coll: Utah) Penstemon palmeri
177595-0177597-1

On a slightly smaller scale, P. pinifolius "Mersey Yellow"
177599-2

Moraea gracilenta, continuing to flower, with "King's Spear", Asphodeline lutea in the background,
177601-3

Sprekelia formosissima (growing with Siberian Iris "Sapphire Rose" in second pic)
177603-4177605-5

cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #84 on: November 13, 2009, 07:53:11 AM »
there is a hiking trail apparently in southern alberta in Dinosaur Provincial Park which must be paid for, but that's because of fossils; the plants can be seen elsewhere for free...

The charge is actually for a narrated bus tour on a narrow dirt road loop into the dinosaur-dig area of the backcountry, not for access to any hiking trail.  (I have never taken the public tour but have driven along the same route and gone into the backcountry in a few places while on a specially-arranged geology field trip.)  The bus tour does not involve any hiking opportunities beyond walking a few steps to the odd lookout point though.

last i looked at it (not in person) my understanding was that you had to pay even for that short loop you mention, and at least sign up or register or something similar; i certainly understand why they need to have some control over the area, but not a place i'd go under those circumstances, unless you could pick a really offseason time when it was still open and worth going.....we passed by the tyrell museum last year, in early july, i think, and the parking lot was so busy we didnt even stop--ditto lake louise this year!

Tecophilaea King

• traveling off the beaten track
« Reply #85 on: November 13, 2009, 10:14:12 AM »
Crinums are becoming increasingly popular with gardeners and collectors, and are the focus of much breeding work.
Typically the species produce large beautiful flowers, extremely large bulbs and strong bold foliage.
The first one is Crinum macowanii a native to South Africa and east Africa to Ethiopia. This species rarely offsets and is usually grown from seed. The sweetly scented flowers open in the evening and last for two to three days.
Crinum 'Monterey Delight' is a C. × powellii (C. bulbispermum × C. moorei) hybrid with of a delicate pink colour, and sweetly scented flowers .

Bill Dijk in Tauranga, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand
Climate zone 10

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #86 on: November 13, 2009, 12:42:52 PM »
Your Penstemon palmeri is so charming, Fermi, I love the soft colour and growth habit, congratulations you must be very happy with your first flowering  ;)
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #87 on: November 13, 2009, 12:44:41 PM »
Bill, both Crinums you have grown look wonderful and it's good to know the native one is scented - is it very perfumed?
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
« Reply #88 on: November 13, 2009, 02:58:58 PM »
Be sure to sniff the Penstemon palmeri, Fermi! It's one of the very few fragrant ones, so a bit of a novelty there.

What lovely plants and photos all!

(Cohan, there are no charges for using the trails in Dinosaur, only for the bus tour (and the campground, of course - see the website)... I forgot that there are a few other little trails around the entrance/visitor center too, but nothing that gets you into the backcountry.  Access to the backcountry is not allowed, in other words.)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 03:21:51 PM by Lori Skulski »
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Tecophilaea King

• traveling off the beaten track
« Reply #89 on: November 13, 2009, 06:20:15 PM »
Bill, both Crinums you have grown look wonderful and it's good to know the native one is scented - is it very perfumed?
Robin, yes the Crinum macowanii has a delicate perfume, not to overpowering, but mainly noticeable at night.
With the hybrids, breeders when crossing the various species/cultivars are also aiming to breed back the old fashion perfumes.
Bill Dijk in Tauranga, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand
Climate zone 10

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal