We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: SW Turkey in November  (Read 6221 times)

Thomas Huber

• Neustadt Croconut
Re: SW Turkey in November
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2009, 03:51:23 PM »
Thanks for these wonderful photos, Tony!
Can you confirm Janis' observations, that many of the Crocus
nerimaniae in the wild look virused?
Thomas Huber, Neustadt - Germany (230m)

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2009, 04:17:59 PM »
  Tony wonderfull pictures! I hope you enjoyed your trip.
  If I am not wrong your C. asumaniae Janis has called C. pallasii subsp. pallasii ! Because this part of Antalya there is not C. asumaniae !

ibrahim

I cannot agree witrh your comments because as I understand it Crocus asumaniae is also common on Baba Dag and I think the range is larger than first published which was near Akseki.
Last year Jan Kees found it in the area of Feithye which as you know is where Baba Dag is and where I found mine. I have also seen it near Akseki this year.Also Crocus mathewii which some think is just a variant of asumaniae grows in this area as well but not at Akseki.

Thomas this time I went to see the Crocus nerimaniae at the Geyik Dam and although there were many dozens out they appeared normal.

I have seen them in previous two years at Labranda which I think is where Janis found them and again although I only saw them in small numbers there I did not observe any problems.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 05:20:52 PM by Maggi Young »
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2009, 04:30:00 PM »
Tony nice to see the different Cyclamen. 5 in flower must be a nice amount :)
I presume that will be hard to beat in one trip.
Did You also see some nice foliage on them or was it not developed yet?

Kind regards
Joakim
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2009, 11:22:51 PM »
Joakim

the foliage was developed on all of them and with the exception of Cyclamen graecum I did not find any particularly different ones. The graecum however were just spectacular and in particular in the area of Goynuk where there were hundreds of plants in full leaf in every combination imaginable.

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2009, 10:37:34 AM »
Tony any chance to see more of the spectacular graecum (apart from going there self?  ::)8)
Kind regards
Joakim
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2009, 10:59:20 PM »
here are some Cyclamen graecum.The first is of some plants growing in a crevice on top of the ampitheatre at Kas.

The second is a general view of a few plants in the woods at Goynuk and the rest are individual plants there.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2009, 11:07:47 PM »
Grand pix, Tony. Every leaf different and everyone just as lovely as the next..... how I would love it if Cyclamen graecum would decide that Aberdeen was a nice place to live, instead if a place to exist not enjoying life at all!  :P :-X
 Mind you, if I could persuade the /BD to heat a glaas house a little...... who knows what possibilities might come my way....... ::)   

Yeah, right, I know.... fat chance!
 Never mind, hope costs nothing!  :D
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2009, 11:41:42 PM »
Grand pix, Tony. Every leaf different and everyone just as lovely as the next..... how I would love it if Cyclamen graecum would decide that Aberdeen was a nice place to live, instead if a place to exist not enjoying life at all!  :P :-X
 Mind you, if I could persuade the /BD to heat a glaas house a little...... who knows what possibilities might come my way....... ::)   

Yeah, right, I know.... fat chance!
 Never mind, hope costs nothing!  :D
Maggi - You'll need to heat that greenhouse in summer to get them to flower.  You might persuade the BD on the grounds that the extra warmth might improve flowering in some other bulbs too ;)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2009, 11:46:08 PM »
I know, Tony.....we had a big old graecum that just sat in the kitchen and sulked for years.... in the kitchen!! 
The BD will not be moved.... says this is Aberdeen and they have to shape up or ship out...... I'm keeping very quiet and just putting on more sweaters !  :-X
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2009, 12:00:37 AM »
Mine are snuggled down with a bit of bubble polythene and an undersoil cable tonight as we have our first frost of the year. I would not expect them to freeze but not prepared to take the chance. I have had a large single malt to keep the frost out,just a difference in approach!

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2009, 08:46:11 PM »
Funnily enough Tony so did I and, as it seemed to work, I shall do the same tonight. ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2009, 11:35:48 AM »
Thanks for showing them Tony they are looking like little magically painted pictures all of them.
Kind regards
Joakim

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2009, 04:30:45 AM »
Wow, fantastic graecum.  Better than any I think I've seen before, and I am rather partial to graecum.  Are leaf forms like these available in commerce?  I've never seen them here in Aus, although graecums are pretty uncommon to find here anyway so usually I grow from seed if I can get it.  Thanks for the pics.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2009, 02:35:37 AM »
wow! love those leaves, tony1

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2009, 01:24:46 PM »
Wow, fantastic graecum.  Better than any I think I've seen before, and I am rather partial to graecum.  Are leaf forms like these available in commerce?  I've never seen them here in Aus, although graecums are pretty uncommon to find here anyway so usually I grow from seed if I can get it.  Thanks for the pics.

Paul although I am not a member, The Cyclamen Society has an excellent seed exchange and I am sure you would find some good forms there. I would say however that what comes off a good parent is no guarantee of a good seedling,unless like me you find them all good.

I attach a picture below of two seedlings from the same seed pod collected in Turkey from a 'good'parent.This illustrates the difference in what can come up.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal