We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: P. praecox question  (Read 3149 times)

sjusovare

P. praecox question
« on: November 18, 2009, 08:52:42 PM »
Hello, this is my 1st post here... ;)
I have several pleione praecox from different sources, however I never succeed to get any flower.
The buds in autumn are always fine, but once they get 2 cm tall they just cease growing and then seem to dry.. untill new growth in spring.
Has anyone else encountered such issues?
Julien

Eric Locke

Re: P. praecox question
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 09:16:01 PM »

Hi Sjusovare

First of all WELCOME
I wonder if you are growing these cool all year round ?
I found in my early experience with Praecox that it flowered very badly or never if grown like this.
I now give a small amount of warmth ( 8-12 deg c )from early January which increases as spring gets nearer. Grown like this I find all flower every year now. :) :) :)

Eric

sjusovare

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 09:21:19 PM »
Hi Eric
Actually they are actually on the opposite side of the spectrum considering I grow them as for maculata in the greenhouse during spring/summer and in the house autumn/winter.
Basically they never go below 16C and can get heat peaks up to 35 during the summer.
Julien

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 09:22:39 PM »
Hi Sjusovare, or may I call you Glis glis?  ;D
Welcome to the Forum!!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Eric Locke

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 09:26:21 PM »
Hi Eric
Actually they are actually on the opposite side of the spectrum considering I grow them as for maculata in the greenhouse during spring/summer and in the house autumn/winter.
Basically they never go below 16C and can get heat peaks up to 35 during the summer.

Hi Sjusovare

These temperatures are fine for Maculata but I feel this could be your problem and I would reduce the temperatures for Praecox. I leave Praecox in a frost-free greenhouse until Jan where the temperature often goes very near freezing before moving to a very cool spot indoors in Jan until June.

Eric

Eric Locke

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 09:31:02 PM »
Hi Sjusovare, or may I call you Glis glis?  ;D
Welcome to the Forum!!

Maggi Glis Glis live in the Chilterns after first escaping in this area. ;D ;D ;D

Eric

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 10:16:24 AM »
Far from an expert I have noticed that the Nordic countries have much drier indoor temperatures than England (and maybe the whole UK) and southern Europe due to the big difference between indoor and outdoor temperatures in Winter. Central Europe may be the same as the Nordic countries.
Maybe this is something that people forget as a difference?
Maybe Sjusovare is using a humidifier while we in Portugal have a de-humidifier going most of the time. Some people in the Nordic countries use the bathroom to grow orchids due to the higher humidity.
This may be obvious to many but maybe not to all. I assumed Sjusovare is from the Nordic countries. (This is why indication of country is of some significance).

All the best
Joakim
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

karel_t

• Pleione Wizard's Apprentice
    • The Czech Pleione Website
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 12:05:08 PM »
Hi Sjusovare
I grow my praecox outdoor during the summer and the temperatures must be kept below 28 C, rather less. In the winter I keep them around 4 C. I found in this conditions they grow very well and flower regularly every year.
Prague, Czech Republic
www.pleione.cz

sjusovare

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2009, 05:39:39 PM »
hello everyone ;)

Joakim, actually I'm in the Loire valley, central France (yes, I know, my nickname is swedish though :P ).

Actually, I had thought about dry atmosphere, but putting them under a glass bell did not help.
By the way, they are grown on pure living sphagnum moss.
Julien

Maren

• Maren & Pln Tongariro
    • Heritage Orchids
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2009, 06:16:28 PM »
Hi sjusovare,
my Pln praecox spent the summer outdoors in a semi shaded position. I took them indoors in mid October when we had a cold spell. Haven't watered them since then. All (90) are flowering well, some started earlier, some later. They are now in my potting shed which I keep just frost free. I'll re-pot them after flowering. Hope this helps
Maren in Marlow, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom - Zone 8

http://www.heritageorchids.co.uk/

sjusovare

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2009, 07:15:26 PM »
Hello Maren,

I will try the cold way then ;) thanks.
Julien

ThomasB

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2010, 09:31:40 AM »
I'm using this thread since I have another Pleione praecox question. Hope this is okay here.

Does anyone know about differences between Pleione praecox and Pleione praecox f. wallichiana? An orchid nursery is offering both of them but does not show a picture of f. wallichiana.

Greets
Thomas
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 09:35:20 AM by ThomasB »
Germany - Middle of Thuringia (Zone 7a)

Paul Cumbleton

• Pleione Wizard
    • The Pleione Website
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2010, 05:08:02 PM »
Hi Thomas,
This seems to be a case of the wrong use of names. Pleione praecox was once thought to be a Coelogyne and for a time went by the name of Coelogyne wallichiana. So Pleione praecox and C. wallichiana are synonyms i.e. the same thing, with P. praecox being the correct name. There is no such thing botanically as P. praecox f. wallichiana. As P. praecox is a very variable species, I guess they are simply offering two differing forms and differentiating them using an invalid name.

Cheers

Paul
Paul Cumbleton, Somerton, Somerset, U.K. Zone 8b (U.S. system plant hardiness zone)

I occasionally sell spare plants on ebay -
see http://ebay.eu/1n3uCgm

http://www.pleione.info/

ThomasB

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2010, 10:07:22 PM »
Thank you Paul,

I would like to have different forms of Pleione praecox but doubt that I can rely on this since they don't show a picture of the one named f. wallichiana. I guess they got the plants from somewhere else there they came with these names.

Greets
Thomas
Germany - Middle of Thuringia (Zone 7a)

Maren

• Maren & Pln Tongariro
    • Heritage Orchids
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2010, 09:01:58 AM »
Hello Thomas,
if it's not too expensive, why not buy one and see what happens. Although I have to admit this may not be good advice. I do this all the time and end up with surprising plants. My quest for P. albiflora has resulted in a number of excellent plants of P. grandiflora and even P. aurita:o ??? And an extremely expensive P. praecox v reichenbachiana had the experts debating whether it was one or just an ordinary praecox. I suppose the fun is in the expectation...
Maren in Marlow, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom - Zone 8

http://www.heritageorchids.co.uk/

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal