We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: December 2009 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 21525 times)

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
Re: December 2009 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2009, 08:25:06 AM »
Very nice Doug --my sps flower poorly --not enough sunshine i guess.

Physoplexis comosa in bloom. Yummy  :D
Seed sown Nov 06 -- courtesy of a Swedish forum member.
Surprised how quickly it has matured.

There are about a dozen smaller seedlings tucked under/around the flowering plant--i couldn't be bothered individually potting up when the seed first germinated   ::)   --i'll have to do so in the autumn and pass a few around.

Cheers dave 
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2009, 07:45:19 PM »
The Physoplexis looks good Dave. Mine tends to flower rather poorly, i.e. there are several stems but they are smallish and rather tatty, dying away quickly. I think, looking at yours that maybe it likes lots of water until bloom time at least. Might move mine to a trough from the dry raised bed. 6 new troughs to play with.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 09:33:30 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2009, 09:32:56 PM »
Yesterday (Sunday) Roger, Teddy, Cain and I went down to Hokonui Alpines and picked up 6 troughs I had ordered (see "A New Bit of Garden " thread.) I had a quick dash round the nursery which is not usually open on a Sunday, and selected just 10 plants, very restrained of me. Among others, Primula nepalenssis and a wonderful plant of Campanula zoysii, complete with buds. This too, a well-coloured form of Nomocharis aperta from the ACE expedition. As you see, there's a nice seed pod already there.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 07:23:02 PM by Maggi Young »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

angie

« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2009, 09:47:14 PM »
Very nice choice of plants, Cant wait to see your troughs planted up, we will need to see episode's of the troughs from planting to maturity.
Angie :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2009, 12:02:39 AM »
Yesterday (Sunday) Roger, Teddy, Cain and I went down to Hokonui Alpines and picked up 6 troughs I had ordered (see "A New Bit of Garden " thread.) I had a quick dash round the nursery which is not usually open on a Sunday, and selected just 10 plants, very restrained of me. Among others, Primula nepalenssis and a wonder plant of Campanula zoysii, complete with buds. This too, a well-coloured form of Nomocharis aperta from the ACE expedition. As you see, there's a nice seed pod already there.
congrats on the celebrity style sunday shopping ;)
remarkable flower, a(nother) genus i know little about, though i've been seeing the name around...

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2009, 12:07:25 AM »
Cohan.... trust me, you'll never meet a Nomocharis you don't like!
They are enchanting creatures, each and every one!
I'm just not sure they'd take your climate  :-\ :'(
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2009, 01:11:29 AM »
This too, a well-coloured form of Nomocharis aperta from the ACE expedition. As you see, there's a nice seed pod already there.

Lesley - What a find!  :o

Good to see you too!

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2009, 04:52:51 AM »
Thank you John. If there had been more Nomocharis I'd have bought at least 3 but it was the last one. Oddly, I had looked at the listing when their spring catalogue was sent and decided not.

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2009, 04:56:44 AM »
Thank you John. If there had been more Nomocharis I'd have bought at least 3 but it was the last one. Oddly, I had looked at the listing when their spring catalogue was sent and decided not.
It's the principle on which all supermarkets operate! wysiwyb!
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

galahad

• Ross
    • Wild Hybrid
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2009, 06:43:16 AM »
Yesterday (Sunday) Roger, Teddy, Cain and I went down to Hokonui Alpines and picked up 6 troughs I had ordered (see "A New Bit of Garden " thread.) I had a quick dash round the nursery which is not usually open on a Sunday, and selected just 10 plants, very restrained of me. Among others, Primula nepalenssis and a wonder plant of Campanula zoysii, complete with buds. This too, a well-coloured form of Nomocharis aperta from the ACE expedition. As you see, there's a nice seed pod already there.

I have been eyeing up the C. zoysii at Hokonui as well
Christchurch, New Zealand

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2009, 10:27:51 AM »
Cohan.... trust me, you'll never meet a Nomocharis you don't like!
They are enchanting creatures, each and every one!
I'm just not sure they'd take your climate  :-\ :'(

They surely don't like my climate...  >:(

It's a gorgeous plant Lesley !!
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2009, 07:12:56 PM »
Go for it Ross. There were plenty there and more coming on but I've thought that before and missed out.

Luc, I've had it before and lost it a couple of times but those were very small plants from private sources. These were beauties.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2009, 08:40:34 PM »
Luc they (Nomocharis) don't like my climate either but I love them so much I'll do all I can to encourage them; a really humusy area to plant the bulbs and as much water as I can manage through the growing time. It's not enough but I get good flowers on stems which are perhaps shorter than they should be. The bulbs don't like drying out while dormant either. It is said they are short-lived anyway, perhaps 3 or 4 years at most, per bulb but I find they usually set good seed and so it's not too hard to maintain a flowering colony.

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2009, 10:41:20 AM »
Thanks Lesley - my experience is that they simply do not cope with our (very occasional !) really hot spells of 30-35°C... even when watered regularly...  :'(  I have the same problems with Meconopsis...  :'( :'(
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2009, 07:45:42 PM »
I do too, with Meconopsis. something very perverse abut me that I continue with such species when they would be happier elsewhere. They are all the time looking for ways to go to plant heaven. :D

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal