We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: December 2009 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 22273 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: December 2009 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #90 on: December 15, 2009, 02:14:46 PM »

Thanks Maggi, I will stick to seeds for now, (phyto's and inspection fees are very expensive with our MAF in NZ)

Yes, Bill, no problems with seeds  :)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #91 on: December 15, 2009, 09:30:29 PM »
Talking of Gladiolus, here is 'Robinette' maybe one of the nanus forms/cultivars. As always with my camera, the red is not true. It is really a richer, deeper lipsticky red of gorgeous intensity. I have just a couple of these but will get more (readily available from the garden centres in autumn/winter) because it's just the right colour for Christmas vases and bowls, with callistemon, rata and other festive flowers.

182485-0
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #92 on: December 15, 2009, 09:35:12 PM »
Bill I may hit you for a little seed as well as like everyone it seems I have just the one, non seeding clone of candidissimum. I don't have either fargesii or franchetianum at all. ;D

Lesley, I think we could even manage a few corms next time, our Arisaema's usually produce plenty of kittens/cormlets.
Don't forget to remind me  ;D

Thank you Bill, kind of you.  :)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
« Reply #93 on: December 16, 2009, 08:23:56 AM »
Carrying on with the redish theme ...

Thankfully my Watsonia coccinea ,(which comes in purple,pink or scarlet),has come back and has two flower spikes this season-- i had given so many corms away i thought i'd lost it .

Lilium grayii---in another pot ,seedlings sown Aug 05 are just about to open.

Cheers dave.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 08:34:17 AM by t00lie »
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

Tecophilaea King

• traveling off the beaten track
« Reply #94 on: December 16, 2009, 09:14:04 AM »
Talking of Gladiolus, here is 'Robinette' maybe one of the nanus forms/cultivars. As always with my camera, the red is not true. It is really a richer, deeper lipsticky red of gorgeous intensity. I have just a couple of these but will get more (readily available from the garden centres in autumn/winter) because it's just the right colour for Christmas vases and bowls, with callistemon, rata and other festive flowers.
Lesley, what kind of a digital camera do you have? You should be able to shoot pictures with the correct colour if you select the right exposure setting.
I have a feature called "bracket set" that allows me to shoot 3 images at 0.3 EV (exposure value) apart, you have 3 pictures to choose from, one of those images is always right. This setting will allow you to  adjust the EV determined by the camera.
If your camera has such a feature you should be abble to take good pictures. Why not try it?
Most of the time I always shoot when the weather is overcast, bright sunlight can overexpose or cast shadows.   
Bill Dijk in Tauranga, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand
Climate zone 10

Tecophilaea King

• traveling off the beaten track
« Reply #95 on: December 16, 2009, 09:30:13 AM »
Lesley, what a coincident, I have Gladiolus Robinette flowering as well  ;D ;D ;D  Just a bit of fun.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 09:33:00 AM by Tecophilaea King »
Bill Dijk in Tauranga, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand
Climate zone 10

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #96 on: December 16, 2009, 07:42:03 PM »
Bill, my camera is a Panasonic Lumex LC70 and overall I've been very happy with it. It's 5 years old now. There's a thread on this Forum for all kinds of technical camera matters and it's one I've totally avoided because I'm not at all technically minded, and to be truthful, I hardly know what you're talking about. As Roger says from time to time, "it's electrical, you wouldn't understand." Substitute technical or electronic for electrical, and there you are. :) Maybe I'll get him to have a look but the fact is, I point and shoot and leave it at that. ::)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #97 on: December 16, 2009, 07:45:16 PM »
Dave, thanks for the plant which John dorpped off on Sunday. I was out at the time but he phoned next day. I saw it at the door and thought you must have been by. There are masses of buds so I'll see it pretty soon. NOT the nicest of foliage scents though. :D

Louise had a super Lilium grayii when I was there the other day, Very heavily spotted on an almost pink ground colour. Mine are more orangey and only in bud as yet, no colour.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #98 on: December 18, 2009, 12:40:09 AM »
Here is another picture, sent to me as a regular photo yesterday, from an Australian friend. It started life in my garden. :) It's past its best but why I'm showing it is because I think it surely must be the biggest plant of Weldenia candida, in cultivation. I know it has been divided once before but still it has made at least 10 major "noses" and many more younger, smaller shoots.

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #99 on: December 18, 2009, 09:28:17 AM »
Wow... very impressive Lesley !!
You must feel like a very proud mother...  ;D
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #100 on: December 18, 2009, 10:08:06 AM »
And I think that my plants are probably the grandkids (although divisions, not seedlings) from that clump?  I think Otto's came from Don, and then a piece to me.  Another pic I was going to post when I got to it, but won't now.  After that my 2 humble little pots are pretty pitiful!!  ::)  I still love them though. ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

fleurbleue

• les Jardins des Grims
« Reply #101 on: December 18, 2009, 04:27:11 PM »
Here is another picture, sent to me as a regular photo yesterday, from an Australian friend. It started life in my garden. :) It's past its best but why I'm showing it is because I think it surely must be the biggest plant of Weldenia candida, in cultivation. I know it has been divided once before but still it has made at least 10 major "noses" and many more younger, smaller shoots.

Wonderful little plant Lesley
Nicole, Sud Est France,  altitude 110 m    Zone 8

angie

« Reply #102 on: December 18, 2009, 11:49:46 PM »
Lesley that's an amazing clump of Weldenia, now that's got the WOW factor for sure, how many years has your friend been growing the plant for.
Angie :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

ajbroome

• Oxalis and such
« Reply #103 on: December 19, 2009, 01:04:10 AM »
Folks,

So, is this Gladiolus 'Robinette'?

Andrew.

ajbroome

• Oxalis and such
« Reply #104 on: December 19, 2009, 01:11:19 AM »
Folks,

Arisaema candidissimum 'Pink'.  My white flowered one is a bit behind.

Andrew.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal