We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: December 2009 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 22280 times)

cohan

• forest gnome
Re: December 2009 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2009, 10:11:32 PM »
Cohan.... trust me, you'll never meet a Nomocharis you don't like!
They are enchanting creatures, each and every one!
I'm just not sure they'd take your climate  :-\ :'(

oh well! there are still a great many things that do survive here that i haven't got, and many more that might :)
in this weather, its hard to imagine that anything survives! but shockingly, they do!

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2009, 12:52:48 AM »
Haemanthus albiflos X Haemanthus humilis ssp. hirsutus - wolf whistle!!
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #47 on: December 10, 2009, 11:08:36 PM »
Dave,
I'm very impressed with your Physoplexis - I'll pester you for seed if you get any ;D
Lesley,
the nomocharis is lovely but way out of my league as far as climate goes - if you have problems growing it , I've got no hope!

This Teucrium marum is beloved by our cats and I'm surprised it has increased in size to be abe to bloom so well!
181669-0

Teucrium subspinosum is a great little plant for the rock garden and is very drought tolerant.
181671-1

Dianthus erinaceus is making a better show of flowering now.
181673-2

Allium sphaerocephalum: a bit tall for the rock garden but its gracefulness and light structure means it really isn't out of place.
181675-3181677-4

Although a bit common (we got a punnet of seedlings at a local nursery) I find that Delphinium grandiflorum "Blue Butterfly" adds a lovely colour to the  rock garden in early summer.
181679-5

cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2009, 12:27:23 AM »
I'm very fond of Teucrium subspinosum and all those spiky cushions, Cichorium spinosum, Verbascum spinosum et al. But the teucrium is very much loved/attacked by cats who roll around on it and break it to bits and leave the whole ugly remains covered in a mangled pelt of fur. I have to cover it with a large wire basket, firmly pegged down as they dig and dig until they dislodge it.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #49 on: December 11, 2009, 03:33:52 AM »
I'm very fond of Teucrium subspinosum and all those spiky cushions, Cichorium spinosum, Verbascum spinosum et al. But the teucrium is very much loved/attacked by cats who roll around on it and break it to bits and leave the whole ugly remains covered in a mangled pelt of fur. I have to cover it with a large wire basket, firmly pegged down as they dig and dig until they dislodge it.
I hope our cats don't read this! Fortunately at this stage they prefer the T. marum and haven't deigned to give the T. subspinosum a sniff.
181681-0
The older cat, Miss Soo-Ti, enjoys her aromatherapy but Lachie seems oblivious to the joys of cat-thyme!
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
« Reply #50 on: December 11, 2009, 07:49:52 AM »
"Dave,
I'm very impressed with your Physoplexis - I'll pester you for seed if you get any Grin"

No worries Fermi

I'm sure in one of the bulletins ? of the last year there is an article which i must locate ,by an American ? ,( my apologies if that person is a forum member  :-[ ), on how to hand pollinate.

However that will have to wait until the middle of next week as i hope to be out in the field ,up Canterbury way with Doug Logan from Sunday.

Cheers dave.
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

Tecophilaea King

• traveling off the beaten track
« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2009, 11:57:33 AM »
Here are a couple of unusual species flowering at the moment.
The first is Gelasine azurea another small South American genus with blue flowers and is the only species usually grown, producing a succession of deep blue flowers with white centres.
Cyanella hyacinthoides from Namaqualand to the southern cape and the Karoo.
Flowers are in a branched raceme, blue to mauve, rarely white and are violet scented.
Gelasine azurea.
Cyanella hyacinthoides
Bill Dijk in Tauranga, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand
Climate zone 10

Tecophilaea King

« Reply #52 on: December 11, 2009, 12:26:11 PM »
Physoplexis comosa in bloom. Yummy  :D
Dave, what an interesting, exquisite, curious looking plant, I would love to grow that one, if you could spare a little plant or a few seeds, I would be very gratefull, in exchange of course for anything you might be interested in.
Thanks, Bill
Climate zone 10

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #53 on: December 11, 2009, 04:47:03 PM »

This Teucrium marum is beloved by our cats and I'm surprised it has increased in size to be abe to bloom so well!
cheers
fermi
Fermi,
it's indeed a lovely plant but never touch it short before you will have dinner. ::) ::)
Have look in the old Forum on this page.

http://www.srgc.org.uk/discus/messages/283/772.html#POST573

I counted 30 entries for the month July in 2003 !
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2009, 05:51:02 PM »

Ha Ha!! It seems things got  rather more busy around here, eh?!!  8)
 Did you see Fred's news today, Luit?
http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=4593.new;topicseen#new       :) :D :)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2009, 06:54:53 PM »
Physoplexis comosa in bloom. Yummy  :D

Dave, what an interesting, exquisite, curious looking plant, I would love to grow that one, if you could spare a little plant or a few seeds, I would be very gratefull, in exchange of course for anything you might be interested in.
Thanks, Bill

Rightio Bill
I'll see what i can do.

Gelasine azurea does well down this end of the country however it will be a few weeks yet until it flowers .
The bulbs are  either of an unusual colour or they emit an orange/red pigment when damaged --can't remember which ----- i haven't time to go investigate as i need to continue packing my gear --- the Otago Group are on their way down currently for a visit to the Waituna Wetlands --heavy showers are forecast for this morning--the sun has gone and it's clouding over so it's not looking that flash .

Cheers dave

« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 07:04:43 PM by Maggi Young »
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2009, 07:33:34 PM »

Ha Ha!! It seems things got  rather more busy around here, eh?!!  8)
 Did you see Fred's news today, Luit?
http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=4593.new;topicseen#new       :) :D :)
Yes, now I did Maggi. It seems that (we) grew a little bit since... 8) 8) 8)

But in 2003 we already meant that SRGC Website is the best Gardening website in the world  ;) :-* :-*
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Tecophilaea King

« Reply #57 on: December 12, 2009, 08:42:38 AM »
Arisaema candidisimum is a native of western China, where it grows in moist shady situations.
The attractive flowers are white or pink with green stripes.
Climate zone 10

Tecophilaea King

« Reply #58 on: December 12, 2009, 11:26:34 AM »
Another interesting plant flowering at the moment is the Hymenocallis littoralis,a vigorous evergreen species, which makes a good garden subject in warm climates.
The lovely white flowers have long narrow reflexed petals behind a central cup, several are carried on each sturdy stem.
Climate zone 10

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #59 on: December 12, 2009, 08:18:16 PM »
I was told last weekend by someone who should know that by the time the little gap appears at the top of each flower of the Physoplexis, the pollinating is already done, if it's going to be, (not sure how it COULD be). Mine flowers each year, sometimes twice but has never had any seed. Nor is it divisable, being a single thickish taproot with no side shoots.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 08:21:57 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal