We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: December 2009 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 21528 times)

ajbroome

• Oxalis and such
Re: December 2009 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #105 on: December 19, 2009, 01:13:40 AM »
Folks,

This was obtained as a form of Arisaema consanguineum from Eric Gouda.  It may be true to name or it may be A. ciliatum.  I always have trouble working out the exact differences.  It's not stoloniferous however...

Andrew.

ajbroome

• Oxalis and such
« Reply #106 on: December 19, 2009, 01:16:28 AM »
Folks,

These were obtained as Arisaema erubescens from seed grown plants.  I'm thinking a hybrid involving any of the following, A. erubescens, A. ciliatum and A. consanguineum.  Big robust plants.

Andrew.

ajbroome

• Oxalis and such
« Reply #107 on: December 19, 2009, 01:17:45 AM »
Folks,

The first of my 'typical' A. consaguineum to flower for the year.

Andrew.

ajbroome

• Oxalis and such
« Reply #108 on: December 19, 2009, 01:20:13 AM »
Folks,

Arisaema flavum (previously known as A. flavum abbreviatum but apparently that name is no longer considered valid).  I have spare plants of this if anyone in NZ wants me to put their name on them for when they go dormant.

Andrew.

ajbroome

• Oxalis and such
« Reply #109 on: December 19, 2009, 01:21:53 AM »
Folks,

Arisaema ringens.  Flowering very late, possibly due to mis-treatment on my part.  These are spare if anyone in NZ wants me to put their name on them for when they go dormant.

Andrew.

ajbroome

• Oxalis and such
« Reply #110 on: December 19, 2009, 01:24:03 AM »
Folks,

I've no idea what this Arisaema taiwanense thinks it's up to.  It's flowered perfectly normally in the past.  I wonder if the growing point got damaged while it was dormant.  I have cats...

Andrew

ajbroome

• Oxalis and such
« Reply #111 on: December 19, 2009, 01:26:06 AM »
Folks,

I'm guessing this is either A. consanguineum or A. ciliatum.  It popped up in a pot of Tigridia for some reason.

Andrew.

ajbroome

• Oxalis and such
« Reply #112 on: December 19, 2009, 02:00:34 AM »
Folks,

Some of my 'backyard biodiversity' for today.  One of the advantages of being hideously lazy is that since the garden is full of weeds, I get lots of interesting critters...

Andrew.

ajbroome

• Oxalis and such
« Reply #113 on: December 19, 2009, 02:03:36 AM »
Folks,

More backyard diversity.

Andrew.

arillady

« Reply #114 on: December 19, 2009, 02:22:58 AM »
Andrew what is your profession? You know the names for all your bugs so you can't be that lazy.
Pat
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

ajbroome

• Oxalis and such
« Reply #115 on: December 19, 2009, 02:32:55 AM »
Pat,

I'm a professional dogsbody in a research chemistry lab for Fonterra (http://www.fonterra.com).

The IDs may or may not be correct although I have a fairly extensive library.

Andrew.

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #116 on: December 19, 2009, 06:37:51 PM »
Folks,
Some of my 'backyard biodiversity' for today.  One of the advantages of being hideously lazy is that since the garden is full of weeds, I get lots of interesting critters...
Andrew.

lots of cool critters, worth the weeds  ;D btw, do you mean regular garden weeds, or volunteer natives? (i.e.:not really weeds ;)
the arisaemas are endlessly fascinating, too..

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #117 on: December 19, 2009, 10:44:19 PM »
My own view of certain Arisaema species is no doubt vastly over-simplified but in my book the pin-striped ones (above) are ciliatum and the plain green, often with maroon at the outer tip or on the upper half of the spathe, are consanguineum. I am pretty sure that they hybridize though. In my garden all the (green) consanguineums are taller and have more and more wavy leaflets, than the (pin-striped) ciliatums. Neither is stoloniferous precisely but both make a good number of very tiny to rather larger babies which are loose on and around the parent tubers, at lifting time.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #118 on: December 19, 2009, 11:00:16 PM »
Andrew, I don't think your red Gladiolus is 'Robinette,' or not if mine IS, anyway. Mine has white flakes on the lower three petals, each flake surrounded by a cerise, streaky area and this surrounded by the solid pure red. Yours is very nice, It would be good to have a name for it.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

ajbroome

• Oxalis and such
« Reply #119 on: December 20, 2009, 02:39:37 AM »
Lesley,

Supposedly the easiest way (according to Guzman) to distinguish A. consanguineum from A. ciliatum is that A. ciliatum is stoloniferous.  There are apparently green forms of A. ciliatum and red/stripey versions of A. consanguineum.

I have a plant from the Dunedin gardens (ex Mr. Toole) that appears to be A. ciliatum ciliatum, rather than the more commonly cultivated A. ciliatum liubaense.

And, as for the Gladiolus, it came from a friends mothers garden so any label is well lost.  Nice plant though.

Andrew.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal