We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: December 2009 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 21532 times)

Tecophilaea King

• traveling off the beaten track
Re: December 2009 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #120 on: December 20, 2009, 07:15:42 AM »
Folks, Arisaema flavum (previously known as A. flavum abbreviatum but apparently that name is no longer considered valid).  I have spare plants of this if anyone in NZ wants me to put their name on them for when they go dormant. Andrew.
Andrew, thanks for showing us your very nice collection of Arisaema's.
I thought I had A.flavum, but going by your pictures, ours are not A. flavum, looks as though we could do some exchanging in the near future, not to mention other possible Arisaema species.
BTW: who is Eric Gouda?
Bill
Bill Dijk in Tauranga, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand
Climate zone 10

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #121 on: December 20, 2009, 07:29:32 AM »
Bill,

Be aware that Arisaema flavum can be very enthusiastic in seed set.  The flowers are tiny, and in the forms we get here in Aus they are not exactly striking.  I think mine has died out by sheer neglect over the last few years, but I was sort of hoping it would.  I guess that some will reappear from seed again one of these years though.  ;D

Great pics, Andrew.  I just love that red dragonfly and the really cool spider.

Thanks.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
« Reply #122 on: December 20, 2009, 08:15:28 AM »
BTW: who is Eric Gouda?
Bill

Bill,

Eric Gouda is the collection manager of the botanical garden of the University of Utrecht in the Netherlands. And he is the moderator of a lot of the L-archives like the Arisaema Enthusiast Group (http://botgard.bio.uu.nl/Arisaema-L/Index.htm) and Alpine-L (http://alpine-l.florapix.nl/)
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

ajbroome

• Oxalis and such
« Reply #123 on: December 20, 2009, 08:15:48 AM »
Bill,

Arisaema flavum is fairly distinctive (flavum = yellow).  If you don't have this one then I can send you flowering sized tubers once they go dormant, no worries.

Paul, you're right it is an easy one to propagate via seed and offsets (so my offer to Bill probably isn't a fair exchange for anything he can provide me).  I still like it as a plant though.

Andrew.

ajbroome

• Oxalis and such
« Reply #124 on: December 20, 2009, 08:17:13 AM »
Oh yeah, what Wim said. :)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #125 on: December 20, 2009, 09:41:19 AM »
I'm surprised we're not to use A. flavum ssp abbreviatum now. It is so distinct from straight flavum. Mine is only about 15cms in height while what I had as seed from the AEG as flavum grew to 45cms. The little one comes true from seed and no, it's not spectacular in bloom but very charming all the same and yes, it seeds prolifically but not a nuisance and the red heads are very decorative.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Tecophilaea King

« Reply #126 on: December 20, 2009, 10:27:50 AM »
OK, lets change the subject temporarely from the Arisaema's for now.
This morning I went for a hike up Mt.Maunganui (10 min.from Tauranga) for a bit of exercise and to shoot a few pictures of our native pohutukawa tree in full blazing colour.
The pohutukawa tree (Metrosideros excelsa) with its crimson flower has become an established part of the New Zealand Christmas tradition. This iconic Kiwi Christmas tree, which often features on greeting cards and in poems and songs, has become an important symbol for New Zealanders at home and abroad.
While walking along the track, (200 meters up) I was fortunately to notice a cruise liner coming in from the Pacific on the horizon, heading for the Tauranga harbour to berth.  
I thought why not wait and include the cruise ship in the pictures to make it more interesting, an extra bonus.
Besides the beautiful Christmas trees, you can see the cruise liner and the pilot boat coming in below the track I was walking on, at the various stages of taking the pictures.
These pictures were taken very early in the morning at 7 am when the beach was still empty.
A breathtaking sight to look down on this picturesque scene down below. Enjoy. Bill
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 10:32:59 AM by Tecophilaea King »
Climate zone 10

partisangardener

• Luther Art
« Reply #127 on: December 20, 2009, 10:33:07 AM »
Thank You :) :) :)
Here its snow and quite cold.
greetings from Bayreuth/Germany zone 6b (340 m)
Axel
sorry I am no native speaker, just picked it up.

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #128 on: December 20, 2009, 10:40:16 AM »
Beautiful pics Bill. :)

Tecophilaea King

« Reply #129 on: December 20, 2009, 10:51:37 AM »
BTW: this dutch cruise liner was appropriately named the "Volendam" for a bit of nostalgia.
Climate zone 10

arillady

« Reply #130 on: December 20, 2009, 10:45:39 PM »
Thanks Bill for sharing these photos of Mt.Maunganui (10 min.from Tauranga) as this was where the iris society symposium was held in 2000 when I visited NZ for the first time. A lovely part of NZ.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #131 on: December 21, 2009, 04:16:46 AM »
OK, lets change the subject temporarely from the Arisaema's for now.
This morning I went for a hike up Mt.Maunganui (10 min.from Tauranga) for a bit of exercise and to shoot a few pictures of our native pohutukawa tree in full blazing colour.
The pohutukawa tree (Metrosideros excelsa) with its crimson flower has become an established part of the New Zealand Christmas tradition. This iconic Kiwi Christmas tree, which often features on greeting cards and in poems and songs, has become an important symbol for New Zealanders at home and abroad.
While walking along the track, (200 meters up) I was fortunately to notice a cruise liner coming in from the Pacific on the horizon, heading for the Tauranga harbour to berth.  
I thought why not wait and include the cruise ship in the pictures to make it more interesting, an extra bonus.
Besides the beautiful Christmas trees, you can see the cruise liner and the pilot boat coming in below the track I was walking on, at the various stages of taking the pictures.
These pictures were taken very early in the morning at 7 am when the beach was still empty.
A breathtaking sight to look down on this picturesque scene down below. Enjoy. Bill

lovely shots and a lovely tree! looks like a very nice area where you live..

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #132 on: December 24, 2009, 12:59:38 AM »
Bill,
that Kiwi Christmas Tree is spectacular - and so suitable in colour for the Season.

A few little things in flower now in our garden include,
Dianthus amurensis
183482-0183484-1

The South African daisy bush, Relhania pungens,
183486-2183488-3

The double form of our local "Bluebell", Wahlenbergia stricta "Blue Mist"
183490-4

Pelargoium rapaceum
183492-5

A salvia volunteer which I think may be Salvia superba,
183494-6

And a very late bloom on DBI "Zounds"
183496-7183498-8

cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Tecophilaea King

« Reply #133 on: December 24, 2009, 05:50:36 AM »
Dear Friends,

Where did the year go? Suddenly it is  December......AGAIN - and we realize that with giant strides we started in January and within a blink of an eye, 2009 is almost over!

A big "Thank You” for your friendship, mateship, laughs and memories during 2009.

.Without you, I'm sure that 2009 would have been extremely boring.

From my side I wish you all a magical Festive Season filled with Loving Wishes and Beautiful Thoughts.

May 2010 mark the beginning of a Tidal Wave of Love, Happiness and Bright Futures.

And to those who need someone special, may you find that true love

To those who need money, may your finances overflow

To those who need caring, may you find a good heart

To those who need friends,   may you meet lovely people

Should you be driving during this time.....please take care and stay safe!

And please remember if you win Lotto remember who sent you this lovely email

”ho, ho, ho”

Merry Christmas and a Prosperous New Year

Bill

BTW:daffies in the picture are from left to right: Tweeny, Little Nipper, Lively Lady, Little Flik, and Segovia

« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 05:56:46 AM by Tecophilaea King »
Climate zone 10

Tecophilaea King

« Reply #134 on: December 24, 2009, 06:12:32 AM »
Heres a christmas cake recipe that I make every year, ha ha ha.
Hope you enjoy making it too.

Christmas Cake Recipe
You'll need the following:
1 cup of water
1 cup of sugar
4 large brown eggs
2 cups of dried fruit
1 teaspoon of salt
1 cup of brown sugar
Lemon juice
Nuts
1 bottle of whisky (my own homebrew)

Sample the whisky to check for quality. Take a large bowl. Check the whisky again. To be sure it's the
highest quality, pour one level cup and drink. Repeat. Turn on the electric mixer, beat one cup of butter
in a large fluffy bowl. Add one teaspoon of sugar and beat again. Make sure the whisky is still OK.
Cry another tup. Tune up the mixer. Beat two leggs and add to the bowl and chuck in the cup of dried
fruit. Mix on the turner. If the fired druit gets stuck in the beaterers, pry it goose with a drewscriver.
Sample the whisky to check for tonsisticity. Next, sift two cups of salt. Or something. Who cares?
Check the whisky. Now sift the lemon juice and strain your nuts. Add one table. Spoon the sugar or something. Whatever you can find. Grease the oven. Turn the cake tin to 350 degrees. Don't forget
to beat off the turner. Throw the bowl out of the window. Check the whisky again and go to bed.
Heva a revy  (hic) CHERRY MISTMAS! Bill.  ;D ;D ;D
Climate zone 10

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal