We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: December 2009 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 22277 times)

cohan

• forest gnome
Re: December 2009 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #150 on: December 27, 2009, 04:16:45 AM »
Cohan,

I try to stick to mm in sizes and rainfall here, but in this case I thought that the traditional inches worked as a measure to aim for as "more than" (if you know what I mean).  Saying that the last time we'd had "more than 50mm" just didn't have the same ring to it as "more than 2 inches".  It was actually a deliberate choice. ;D

deliberately mixed up --much better ;)
official precip statistics here are in mm and cm, but rarely have i heard anyone use those in conversation, for either rain or snow..
...in many years of hairdressing(all of them well after our supposed conversion), i had exactly one client ever who referred to the amount of hair she wanted removed in cm!

Tecophilaea King

• traveling off the beaten track
« Reply #151 on: December 27, 2009, 06:43:53 PM »
A few days ago, just before Chrismas, Lesley kindly send me a very nice, healthy plant of Weldenia candida.
No need to say I was pleased to once more own this treasure, since I unfortunetly lost mine.
After careful unpacking, I did repot in a bigger container to allow for future increase.
Anyway, I gave it a drink and  I put the plant away in a safe place in the nursery.
Imagine my surprise and delight, when checking the plant after 2 days, the Weldenia had produced this beautiful display, this late in the season.
Lesley, any idea or explanation why this Weldenia all of a sudden exploded in this unexpected, magnificent spectacle? 
Bill Dijk in Tauranga, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand
Climate zone 10

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #152 on: December 27, 2009, 06:54:17 PM »
A real treat indeed, Bill.

I can only think that Lesley had kept the plant on the dry side, to prepare for its journey and when it got a new pot and some water, it decided to have a celebration.
Must have not fully finished its quota of flowers and is making the most of the situation... what a lovely thing a Weldenia is!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Casalima

• Not lost in translation
« Reply #153 on: December 27, 2009, 06:57:52 PM »
Such a stunning plant!
Congratulations Bill and Lesley!
Chloe, Ponte de Lima, North Portugal, zone 9+

Tecophilaea King

« Reply #154 on: December 27, 2009, 07:02:47 PM »
Its freezzzzzzzzzzzzzzing here in Scotland.
Angie :)
Angie, why don't you join us for a swim along the the beach, a balmy, sunny day, 28 deg. C.
Christmas in Tauranga, New Zealand. ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 07:06:30 PM by Tecophilaea King »
Climate zone 10

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #155 on: December 27, 2009, 07:50:30 PM »
OK Bill, don't rub it in ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #156 on: December 27, 2009, 07:55:21 PM »
Looks very nice
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

angie

« Reply #157 on: December 27, 2009, 08:00:08 PM »
Thanks Bill I am feeling warmer already ;D
Lovely picture of Weldenia Candida.
In my next life please, please may I be born in a warmer place.

Angie :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #158 on: December 27, 2009, 08:55:30 PM »
OK Bill, don't rub it in ;D

yep, that was definitely a rub.. ;)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #159 on: December 27, 2009, 09:34:41 PM »
I'm pleased the Weldenia is behaving nicely Bill. Yes, it was on the dry side as everything is here (less than 2mm of rain for me over the last week :'() and another I have exactly the same size from the same dividing, has only remains from a week ago. So a bit of TLC has been beneficial. It looks to have the beginnings of new shoots at the side so those will be more flowering noses for next year
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 09:36:22 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #160 on: December 27, 2009, 11:49:52 PM »
Lesley,

What is the longest you go between rain, and then how much do you usually get?  What is your yearly average rainfall?
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Tecophilaea King

« Reply #161 on: December 28, 2009, 06:43:12 PM »
Erythrina crista-galli (aka Cockspur, Fireman's Cap Tree, Brazillian Coral Tree)
One of the most striking of the flowering coral trees, this species is a common ornamental in some parts of the world, roundly appreciated for its bright red, profuse blooms.

The beautiful red flower, born en masse during warm months, have a sort of pea flower-like look to them
Climate zone 10

Tecophilaea King

« Reply #162 on: December 28, 2009, 06:54:55 PM »
A barrowload of petunia's in my neighbour's garden always make a nice welcome splash of colour on the terrace..
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 06:58:48 PM by Tecophilaea King »
Climate zone 10

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #163 on: December 28, 2009, 07:37:27 PM »
The Erythrina is superb Bill. Is this in your garden? I planted one once in Timaru but it was too frosty for it and it died.

Paul, those are hard questions to answer because every year seems different. The yearly average is dropping each year as another year is added, if you see what I mean. Dunedin city gets about 1000mm per year but here, just 18km from the city centre but over a climate-changing hill (Saddle Hill) we get half that, a mere 500 or so. Most is in winter and spring with summer very dry and autumn usually dry too, but not always. :-\ At this time of year and especially after the longest day, there may be a month or 2 or 3 months with no rain at all. Sometimes we get sea fog which helps but not much. (We live in a dip between two hills and the fog pours over the dip. We are just about 1 km from the coast as the seagull flies.) We here are lucky to get 10mm in any decent rain and I long for the days when I lived in Timaru up the coast and we'd have 3 days of easterly rain which set the garden up for months to come. It just doesn't happen now. The whole east coast of NZ even as far south as you can go, seems to be in almost perpetual drought mode over the last 12-15 years.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Tecophilaea King

« Reply #164 on: December 29, 2009, 09:02:35 AM »
The Erythrina is superb Bill. Is this in your garden? I planted one once in Timaru but it was too frosty for it and it died.
Yes this deciduous Erythrina is a very colourful small tree in our garden and easily raised from seed from the bean like seedpods, freely produced after flowering. The current growth that produce the flowers, usually dies right back during winter, and have to be pruned back to the base, to sprout new shoots once again in the spring.
Yes, I agree it is frost tender, and usually confined to the warmer or frost-free coastal areas.
Lesley, if you would like to try again, I might have some seed available later.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 09:05:46 AM by Tecophilaea King »
Climate zone 10

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal