We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crocus December 2009  (Read 23793 times)

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
Re: Crocus December 2009
« Reply #90 on: December 06, 2009, 02:48:18 PM »
You definitely don't want boar among your bulbs.

Oh, not so exactly. They several times passed through my fields. Sometime pushed some juno iris out or some lily bulb, but mostly only broke wooden sticks separating stocks. Only once they ate tuberous geraniums on previous years field (it is impossible to harvest them completely by myself and bores didn't succeed, too). Of course I prefair to stay without uninvited visitors...
Janis
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #91 on: December 06, 2009, 07:51:41 PM »
I have offered on a few occasions to organize a crocus tour in Israel and it is still valid!!
so both of you and other 'croconuts' are welcome, i think it would be great to hear more opinions regarding some of the populations.

What a great occasion that will be! Ian, Janis, Oron, Tony (I'm being strictly alphavetical here :)) and what a wonderful new thread it will be for the Forum. I'm eagerly awaiting the outcome. ;D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #92 on: December 06, 2009, 07:55:04 PM »
More dangerous to my cats are foxes

Must get myself a fox. ;D

;D ;D ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Oron Peri

• Middle Eastern Correspondent for the Forum
  • Living in the Galilee Region, min. temp. 5c max 40
    • Seeds of Peace
« Reply #93 on: December 07, 2009, 06:56:02 AM »
Just to show some more variation in the cancellatus populations:

On the left sample of the population from center Golan Heights [790m], robust plants, corms are big and more flat in form while the other, on the right is from a higher population [1050], tiny plants, elongated corms. this population is growing in wet highlands and are covered with snow each year.

Both corms on this picture has very coarse tunic regardless of size and shape, tunics are of same type. This intermediate form on earlier entry has very different tunic, so, if it is growing widely and forms constant population, most possibly it is different taxa, may be another subsp. of cancellatus? Or even different still undescribed species?
Janis

Thank you Janis,

My question is if the different corms and netting are sufficient in order to separate it to a new subsp. or a species as the flowers and leaves are identical as well as the period of blooming?

Your mazziaricus is superb!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 07:24:16 AM by Oron Peri »
Tivon, in the lower Galilee, north Israel.
200m.

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #94 on: December 07, 2009, 07:36:56 AM »
Just to show some more variation in the cancellatus populations:

On the left sample of the population from center Golan Heights [790m], robust plants, corms are big and more flat in form while the other, on the right is from a higher population [1050], tiny plants, elongated corms. this population is growing in wet highlands and are covered with snow each year.

Both corms on this picture has very coarse tunic regardless of size and shape, tunics are of same type. This intermediate form on earlier entry has very different tunic, so, if it is growing widely and forms constant population, most possibly it is different taxa, may be another subsp. of cancellatus? Or even different still undescribed species?
Janis

Thank you Janis,

My question is if the different corms and netting are enough to separate it to a new subsp. or a species as the flowers and leaves are identical as well as the period of blooming?

Your mazziaricus is superb!

Yes, Oron. I think that shape of corm tunics is very important feature in separating of species. Flowers of crocuses are very variable, corm tunics is more constant. Will return to my entry at start of November after returning from Turkey trip. I entered picture of Crocus cancellatus mazziaricus by flower inseparable from C. mathewii, but corm tunics clearly confirmed that this one is just marginal form of mazziaricus. I repeat those pictures here. There were only 2 specimens with such color seen in large population, the second was with more splitted tips of stigmatic branches. Look on picture made by Kees Jan (published by him on Crocus entry a year ago - copied here). They found only 3 such plants in large population of C. cancellatus and again, just coarsely reticulated corm tunic confirms that it isn't new species (as I thought before I found that mathewii-like specimen and it can't be hybrid with kotschyanus as supposed by Kees Jan - too far genetically both are). The understanding came slowly, long thinking about nature of those specimens. The difference with your "intermediate" is that there are population with such plants, there are many specimens with such tunics. So I suppose that it really is new taxon, earlier unknown.
Janis

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #95 on: December 08, 2009, 01:18:08 PM »
Janis beautiful crocus.

An early Crocus graveolens
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Gerry Webster

« Reply #96 on: December 08, 2009, 01:58:40 PM »
Very handsome Tony.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #97 on: December 08, 2009, 03:54:34 PM »
Janis beautiful crocus.

An early Crocus graveolens

Excellent form. My own graveolens all forms has more or less purple-brown stippling, striping on back of petals and they all flowers comparatively late. Yours is marvellous.
Janis

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #98 on: December 08, 2009, 03:58:54 PM »
Janis

I agree that Tony's graveolens is marvellous, but I really like those that have stippling or striping on the back of the petals.
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #99 on: December 08, 2009, 04:03:58 PM »
I find they are quite varied,some plain and some striped. Here is a striped one not yet open.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #100 on: December 08, 2009, 04:46:20 PM »
I find they are quite varied,some plain and some striped. Here is a striped one not yet open.
My best graveolens.
Janis

jnovis

• crocusfile
« Reply #101 on: December 08, 2009, 05:28:15 PM »
First two winter crocuses,1st one,Chrsanthus LB540,2nd one,Sieberi sieberi SBL343. Both from Cro.group seed 2002
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 07:26:04 PM by jnovis »
James (Jim) Novis,Horsham,West Sussex.

jnovis

• crocusfile
« Reply #102 on: December 08, 2009, 07:37:43 PM »

..... Perhaps I should join you next year and we can make a big study of these wonderful plants ;D

May be I can join? Really I would very like to visit Israel next autumn and to go to see autumn crocuses in nature.
Janis
I would be interested in visiting Israel as well,Jim Novis
James (Jim) Novis,Horsham,West Sussex.

cycnich

• Mister 1000
« Reply #103 on: December 08, 2009, 07:49:18 PM »
My best graveolens.
Janis
That is lovely Janis.
Pat Nicholls, Cyclamen and associated bulbs.

Shoreham by sea West Sussex, UK

Thomas Huber

• Neustadt Croconut
« Reply #104 on: December 09, 2009, 07:40:44 AM »

I have offered on a few occasions to organize a crocus tour in Israel and it is still valid!!
so both of you and other 'croconuts' are welcome, i think it would be great to hear more opinions regarding some of the populations.

Oron, I would also like to visit the Israelian Crocus with you and the other crazy croconuts.
Don't know if I will have the time, but please inform me if you have a date.
Thomas Huber, Neustadt - Germany (230m)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal