We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Narcissus March 2009 -  (Read 34036 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Narcissus March 2009 -
« Reply #150 on: March 12, 2009, 04:19:12 PM »
....... and I lost my one and only bulb of N. calcicola bought last year. :(
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
Narcissus March 2009 -
« Reply #151 on: March 12, 2009, 04:55:35 PM »
from Bob and Rannveig Wallis' last catalogue:-

"RRW8836-Narcissus bulbocodium Oukaimedon, High Atlas 2800m. Another of the spectacular Moroccan bulbocodiums with large flaring lemon yellow trumpets"

Thank you for clarification David! RRW = Robert & Rannveig Wallis and Bob = Robert (I got it - slowly, slowly)

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Gerry Webster

Narcissus March 2009 -
« Reply #152 on: March 12, 2009, 05:44:14 PM »

I must have done something wrong, because after one season I lost all my Narcissus calcicola. :'(

I have exactly the same problem Anthony - purchased from MB and planted in 2007 - flowered ok in 2008 - no sign of them in 2009... :'(
And the same goes for N. rupicola  :'(
[/quote]
....... and I lost my one and only bulb of N. calcicola bought last year. :(
Interesting. I bought two bulbs of the Dutch N. calcicola cultivar 'Idol last year. Only one has appeared this year & that looks as though it may be virused. On the other hand, I have a potful of N.calcicola seedlings (from Mike Salmon seed) which reappears year after year. Unfortunately I cannot persuade them to flower.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
Narcissus March 2009 -
« Reply #153 on: March 12, 2009, 06:27:43 PM »
I ordered over 20 different Narcissus from MB in 2007, all flowered last spring but only two have appeared this year.

derekb

Narcissus March 2009 -
« Reply #154 on: March 12, 2009, 06:48:07 PM »
2 Narcissus from me,
Narcissus calcicola,
Narcissus bulbocodium RRW88-36

I must have done something wrong, because after one season I lost all my Narcissus calcicola. :'(
Anthony The calcicola bulbs came from Tony Good 4 years ago and I have had no problems, now I will probably loose them. Derek 
Sunny Mid Sussex

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
Narcissus March 2009 -
« Reply #155 on: March 12, 2009, 08:31:02 PM »
Who is MB? I lost N calcicola 'Idol' after one season as well (twice!). I have some of the wild form kindly sent to me by Dominique flowering very prettily now. It will be interesting to see if these fare better.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Gerry Webster

Narcissus March 2009 -
« Reply #156 on: March 12, 2009, 08:41:33 PM »
Miniature Bulbs. My plants of 'Idol' did not come from them. I have mostly bought  narcissus species from them in the past & all these - so far - have reappeared in subsequent years. However, the virus in N. 'Little Soldier' is so severe it can be spotted at a hundred paces.

Addition: I wonder if these disappearing plants are microprops? I remember many people found micropropagated frits difficult or impossible to establish when they first arrived on the scene.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 09:01:28 PM by Gerry Webster »
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Alessandro.marinello

Narcissus March 2009 -
« Reply #157 on: March 12, 2009, 09:01:28 PM »
new flower :)Narcissus scaberulus (Portugal)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 09:04:59 PM by Alessandro.marinello »
Padova N-E Italy climate zone 8

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Narcissus March 2009 -
« Reply #158 on: March 12, 2009, 09:11:42 PM »
I ordered over 20 different Narcissus from MB in 2007, all flowered last spring but only two have appeared this year.

Heavens, that's not a good return Michael. :o

Once when I lost almost everything from a large Narcissus order, I had the cynical thought that the nusery had sprayed them with something nasty in order that they WOULDN'T come up again, so that I would reorder. In fact I did reorder most and found almost all were already infected with narcissus fly grubs by the time I received them. >:( >:( >:(
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
Narcissus March 2009 -
« Reply #159 on: March 12, 2009, 09:28:39 PM »
Anthony The calcicola bulbs came from Tony Goode 4 years ago and I have had no problems, now I will probably loose them. Derek 
Glad to know they are doing OK!
Mine were originally from AGS seed.  The secret to keeping healthy stocks of most of the species bulbs is to raise some new ones from seed from time to time.   They are susceptible to some viruses, I lost my original N calcicola that way (helped along by the fly :-[).  Fortunately they usually make fat pods full of good seed - I may be asking you to send me some as I cannot recall if I still have it ???  (too dark to check now!)
MB = Miniature Bulbs a UK based bulb seller.  Well known for their range of narcissus which seem to have serious health issues right now :(

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
Narcissus March 2009 -
« Reply #160 on: March 12, 2009, 09:56:11 PM »
I showed a good grown pot of Narc. calcicola 'Idol' this week in Weekly Lisse Flower Show.
Did not realise it would be difficult to keep??
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Narcissus March 2009 -
« Reply #161 on: March 12, 2009, 10:25:37 PM »
Here is the N. 'Idol' from the Lisse show.... photo by Luit.....
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
Narcissus March 2009 -
« Reply #162 on: March 13, 2009, 10:27:32 AM »
new flower :)Narcissus scaberulus (Portugal)
This is another one that came wrongly identified (not from MB), and is a lovely wee rupicola. I'll photograph it at the weekend. My other pot labelled scaberulus is just leaves, but I suspect it needs severe summer heat? 8)
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
Narcissus March 2009 -
« Reply #163 on: March 13, 2009, 05:57:51 PM »
Narcissus romieuxii from Itzer, Morocco

-all from the same collection (received from a friend) - showing the variability

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
Narcissus March 2009 -
« Reply #164 on: March 13, 2009, 06:55:50 PM »
Here are a few new babies. Some are not beautiful, but are interesting (to me at any rate!)
First a real tiny one - mixed seedlings of rupicola x Fuco - each of the flowers would fit easily into a 2cm cube.
Second and third, one I like a lot - watieri x asturiensis, the flower is 2.5cm across - in essence a pale lemon Jim Lad.
Fourth, bulbocodium nivalis x triandrus, a curiosity.
Fifth, ostensibly the same cross, but resulting in a very peculiar little flower 1 cm at the mouth and facing straight up!
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal