We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Narcissus March 2009 -  (Read 34040 times)

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
Narcissus March 2009 -
« Reply #75 on: March 06, 2009, 07:30:06 PM »
I can smell it from here - mmm.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
Narcissus March 2009 -
« Reply #76 on: March 06, 2009, 11:52:50 PM »
Lots of narcissus opening now - first a watieri x rupicola marvieri cross (flowers about 1.75cm across), then N. hispanicus 'Patrick Synge', which I struggle to keep going. Finally a tiny N bulbocodium nivalis Briganza form from Brian Duncan - the flowers are only 1cm across maximum.

Great selection Anne particularly like the pleated flowers of the bulbicodium  8)
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

Oron Peri

• Middle Eastern Correspondent for the Forum
  • Living in the Galilee Region, min. temp. 5c max 40
    • Seeds of Peace
Narcissus March 2009 -
« Reply #77 on: March 07, 2009, 06:26:30 AM »
Can some one help with the ID of this species.
It is another victim of the Black birds that enjoy throwing out the labels.
It was sown a few years ago and first time in flower.

Oron I was just writing this when Fred beat me to it but I would agree with Narcissus bulbocodium as well.
Difficult to put a supsp. on it but subsp. conspicuus is a possibility.

Ian, Gerry and Fred, Thank you for the ID.
oron
Tivon, in the lower Galilee, north Israel.
200m.

Brian Duncan

Narcissus March 2009 -
« Reply #78 on: March 07, 2009, 07:04:53 AM »
Lots of narcissus opening now - first a watieri x rupicola marvieri cross (flowers about 1.75cm across), then N. hispanicus 'Patrick Synge', which I struggle to keep going. Finally a tiny N bulbocodium nivalis Briganza form from Brian Duncan -

Anne,
Nice N. watieri x N. rupicola marvieri seedling.  I do not have the latter form of rupicola but I have made ths the cross with straight rupicola. Do you find they are mostly 'lookalikes' in an intermediate creamy/lemon colour, which many find most attractive.
Incidentally the little N. bulbo. nivalis seedling hails from BRAGANCA, there is a squiggle (someone will know the correct name for it) under the c that I think makes it sound a bit like like 'Braganza'. In labelling the z was probably my phonetic spelling mistake and I suspect you have substituted i for a. See map of North Portugal. I think it is best to put such names, which simply indicate origin, in brackets - to avoid possible confusion with named and registered clones.
If Ian reads this I can now say that crosses between N. asturiensis and N. cyclamineus X the white trumpets 'Cndlepower' and 'Camborne' result in about 50 % each of Yellow and White perianths, some are bicolours but few if any are intermediate in colour like in the Apodanthe cross mentioned above.
 Brian
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 01:02:31 PM by Maggi Young »

Brian Duncan

Narcissus March 2009 -
« Reply #79 on: March 07, 2009, 07:18:44 AM »
Narcissus marvieri or maybe rupicola marvieri.

How does N. rupicola marvieri differ from straight N. rupicola? In this picture it seems to have a deeper more bowl shaped corona and is deeper yellow.?

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
Narcissus March 2009 -
« Reply #80 on: March 07, 2009, 10:33:52 AM »
I can't download that pic Brian.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
Narcissus March 2009 -
« Reply #81 on: March 07, 2009, 02:06:58 PM »
The daffs are coming - slowly, slowly here

1. Narcissus cantabricus from Madrid - maybe the most northern occurence
 - a gift from Rafa
2. the same plant
3.+ 4. Narcissus x susannae (after x munozii-garmandiae the second name,
  there is also a newer one)

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Narcissus March 2009 -
« Reply #82 on: March 07, 2009, 02:19:34 PM »
Such beauty is always worth the wait and these are very beautiful indeed  8)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Mark Griffiths

Narcissus March 2009 -
« Reply #83 on: March 07, 2009, 04:29:29 PM »
How does N. mavieri differ from N. rupicola? Blanchard says N. marvieri is supposed to be larger all over with green leaves and deeper colur flowers and then goes on to say that he has plants with more glaucous leaves, he has seen larger and deeper flowered N. rupicola..so it seems they overlap in appearence. These were from Buried Treasure I think so I would expect them to be correctly named.

Narcissus romieuxxii rifanus? grown from AGS seed. This seems one of the few Narcissus I can keep, which is nice but I'd like to grow some of the others successfully.

Narcissus watieri. This was a nice suprise. I bought one in flower 30 years ago and since got seed, bought bulbs, never another flower and all quickly died. This one is form seed! AGS seed to boot!! 
Oxford, UK
http://inspiringplants.blogspot.com - no longer active.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Narcissus March 2009 -
« Reply #84 on: March 07, 2009, 07:10:36 PM »
Lovely Narcissus Gerd and Mark. I have to say that after my own meagre attempts with Narcissus this year I'm totally hooked.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
Narcissus March 2009 -
« Reply #85 on: March 07, 2009, 09:08:42 PM »
Anne,
Nice N. watieri x N. rupicola marvieri seedling.  I do not have the latter form of rupicola but I have made ths the cross with straight rupicola. Do you find they are mostly 'lookalikes' in an intermediate creamy/lemon colour, which many find most attractive.
Incidentally the little N. bulbo. nivalis seedling hails from BRAGANCA, there is a squiggle (someone will know the correct name for it) under the c that I think makes it sound a bit like like 'Braganza'. In labelling the z was probably my phonetic spelling mistake and I suspect you have substituted i for a. See map of North Portugal. I think it is best to put such names, which simply indicate origin, in brackets - to avoid possible confusion with named and registered clones.
If Ian reads this I can now say that crosses between N. asturiensis and N. cyclamineus X the white trumpets 'Cndlepower' and 'Camborne' result in about 50 % each of Yellow and White perianths, some are bicolours but few if any are intermediate in colour like in the Apodanthe cross mentioned above.
 Brian
Noted, Brian! Yes the wat x rup hybrids are all pretty similar. The marvieri I had, correct or not, were slightly larger than rupicola and the corona wider and flatter. I can't open the luteolentus photo either, but I do have your plant in flower now. I also have one from Buried Treasure which looks completely different. I'll try and get photos tomorrow.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
Narcissus March 2009 -
« Reply #86 on: March 07, 2009, 09:50:23 PM »
Here is Narcissus cantabricus from Rafa. I think it is the purest, perfect little white narcissus I have ever seen. I love it. Another wee gem is Narcissus 'Jim Lad', a name I have often used for our son James.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Narcissus March 2009 -
« Reply #87 on: March 07, 2009, 09:57:02 PM »
Two good 'uns there, Anthony. 
The cantabricus is perfectly formed and who could believe that pristine crystalline white?

'Jim Lad' is so cute ..... Anne, you are a fine "Mum"   ;D
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Rafa

• Narcissus King and Castilian conservationist
Narcissus March 2009 -
« Reply #88 on: March 07, 2009, 10:22:56 PM »
I'm glad to see the good result of these N. cantabricus.

Tony!!, some pictures from yesterday afternoon in Vitoria 8) in 100 meters far they were N. jacetanus, but absolutely covered by snow... :-\

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
Narcissus March 2009 -
« Reply #89 on: March 07, 2009, 10:26:41 PM »
Rafa,
pictures look a bit sad to me. All the hanging flower heads.
I hope the snow will melt tomorrow.
Best wishes
Armin

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal