We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Narcissus July to September 2009 Mostly S.hemisphere  (Read 20993 times)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Re: Narcissus July to September 2009 Mostly S.hemisphere
« Reply #105 on: August 23, 2009, 03:23:14 AM »
Beautiful, Otto.  My Ferdie isn't flowering this year because I didn't repot it last year, but it certainly has multiplied well.  Such a teeny tiny little thing.... absolutely adorable. 8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

galahad

• Ross
    • Wild Hybrid
« Reply #106 on: August 23, 2009, 03:53:39 AM »

Ross , I like your ' Josie' , and as both parents were in flower inmy garden this morning
 I attempted the same cross , and keep my fingers crossed .

N. 'Ferdie'
    'Snipe'
    'Mitzi'
I will be keen to see the results.  I have some open polinated seedlings from Josie popping up now.
Christchurch, New Zealand

Mini-daffs

« Reply #107 on: August 23, 2009, 09:57:18 AM »
 ;D
Hi
Lesley, I have attached a photo of an intermediate split cup that is just over the size for miniature.
I have also attached a photo of a white 8 petalled seedling for you. I have been working to stabilise some of our 8 petalled seedlings.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 09:59:47 AM by Mini-daffs »
Graham, Canberra, Australia

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #108 on: August 23, 2009, 09:53:14 PM »
Will people please stop saying my 'Gambus' seedling is a split. It ISN'T and if it were I would have pulled it out and dumped it. >:( At worst it is a little weather damaged but the corona is quite whole and continuous.)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Kees Green

« Reply #109 on: August 24, 2009, 02:14:18 AM »
In regards to Leslie's Gambas seedlings I have seen them first hand and they are all beautiful and not splits. Hopefully they will all stay in the same proportions and multiply quickly over the next few years.
Its amazing to see such variation from a single pod of seeds.
It was great to meet you Leslie, I think I am rather fortunate to be in the same city as a knowledable and generous person as yourself.
Kees Green, miniature daffodil and insect enthusiast

League fan in a city crazed by AFL

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #110 on: August 24, 2009, 02:37:09 AM »
Will people please stop saying my 'Gambus' seedling is a split. It ISN'T and if it were I would have pulled it out and dumped it. >:( At worst it is a little weather damaged but the corona is quite whole and continuous.)
Lesley
please forgive me I was only teasing and not meaning to disparage your lovely seedling :-X

This is a 6Y-O from GLenbrook Bulb Farm, "Itzim" a Mitsch hybrid (thanks, Graham)
159871-0

Another GBF Div 6 is "Stymie"
159875-1

A NZ hybrid "Tracey"
159877-2

This is a little jonquill which I think maybe N. wilkommii or perhaps the hybrid "Stocken"
159873-3

"Mitimoto" is a hoop in GBF's detective series
159879-4

159881-5

cheers
fermi
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 07:14:35 AM by fermides »
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #111 on: August 24, 2009, 02:43:39 AM »
Fermi,

The 'Tracey' looks lovely.  'Mitimoto' is still in low bud here at the moment, probably at least a week away.  I like your little jonquil thingy, too.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Rogan

• Beetle daisy
« Reply #112 on: August 24, 2009, 07:31:58 AM »
I love all your little daffs, I have a few myself and sing their praises continuously - keep the pictures coming   :)
Rogan Roth, near Swellendam, Western Cape, SA
Warm temperate climate - zone 10-ish

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #113 on: August 24, 2009, 09:05:32 AM »
A floriferous clump of Narcissus cordubensis

Please click on the pic for a larger version.  If pics are too large, please let me know.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 09:08:47 AM by Paul T »
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #114 on: August 24, 2009, 12:07:02 PM »
Paul,
Although your place is somewhat far away from Cordoba your Narcissus cordubensis seems to enjoy the conditions there a lot!  Super clump!

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #115 on: August 24, 2009, 12:09:57 PM »
Paul,
as already I mentioned in the Iris thread: A real wunderful clump of N. cordubensis you have! 8)  
Best wishes
Armin

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #116 on: August 24, 2009, 12:58:45 PM »
Gerd and Armin.  Thanks.

Gerd,

I have Narcissus fernandesii coming into flower right near that, and the Narcissus assoanus just showing buds a bit further along.  All in the Crocus Garden I set up a couple of years ago.  They certainly seem to be loving it.  Another in a similar vein is Narcissus jonquilla that opened it's first flower today in a pot outside my front door.  All these little multi-flowered daffs are gorgeous..... and the first of the triandrus hybrids have started as well.  8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Mini-daffs

« Reply #117 on: August 25, 2009, 10:32:39 AM »
 ;D
Gerd, Paul's climatic conditions are very close to those areas of Spain where N. cordubensis grow which is a huge advantage.
Paul, I notice one of your N. cordubensis flowers is heavily indented but not split.
I have attached a photo of our exhibition form of N. cordubensis. It has overlapping perianth. I suspect whoevever selected it out did so for its superb petal coverage. We also have a form that is exceptionally split in the cup that we are using for breeding split cup miniatures. I noticed that our N. jacetanus split cup form is flowering. It needs to be crossed with our intermediate split cup seedling.
Lesley just joking about your seedling--we all know how much you love split cups (not)! Interestingly enough a genetic variation for splits is a similar aberration to too many petals. I have been doing a lot of breeding to stabilise our 8 petalled seedlings so eventually they will always have 8 petals. You can do this when you have a lot of 8 petalled seedlings. Our split cups go back to some of our species miniatures that frequently have 8 petals (N. jacetanus and N. minor pumilis). It is much easier than breeding colour into miniatures!
Fermi, Itzim is a Mitsch cyclamineus hybrid.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #118 on: August 25, 2009, 11:00:19 AM »
Graham,

That is just so beautiful!!  I realise that my forms of most of the species are nothing special.... I have noted (and coveted  ;D) at the Daff show that you have far better forms of the species I have.  While the species are beautiful, having the better forms like you do just makes them even MORE beautiful!!  I'd love to be growing most of the tiny ones you stage at our shows.  Hey, I can dream can't I?  ;D ;)

Thanks for the lovely pic.  Looking forward to 3 1/2 weeks from now when the Daff show is on, to see your treasures in person.  8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Mini-daffs

« Reply #119 on: August 25, 2009, 01:02:22 PM »
 ;D
Paul, we grow some pretty ordinary forms of the species as well. It is just that I don't take photos of them. I have limited time so I concentrate on taking photos of our top quality exhibition seedlings and exhibition and rare forms of the species.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal