We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crevice Gardening ......in defence of rock.....  (Read 318184 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Crevice Gardening ......in defence of rock.....
« Reply #1020 on: June 02, 2015, 02:28:05 PM »
That's a great new garden bed!  Terry  Hatch is part of the well-known "Hatch Clan" of New Zealand gardeners and nursery owners, Tim.
Fun to see him "doing his thing" in the UK as well! 
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #1021 on: June 02, 2015, 03:05:17 PM »
Yes the name rang bells and Andrea mentioned his nursery 'Joy Plants'. It was really nice to get such a quick response to the 'Comment' I wrote (and to know that 430 000 RHS members give or take a few might read it!).
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #1022 on: June 02, 2015, 03:38:52 PM »
Quite so!  I noted from the  RHS  "Annual Review 2013/2014"     https://www.rhs.org.uk/about-the-rhs/pdfs/about-the-rhs/mission-and-strategy/past-annual-reports/rhs_annualreview_2014  that  RHS Membership  was 414,699 for 2013   and the 2013/14 income was £71.94m which is a mind boggling amount.

I wonder how many more members ( and dosh) they'd get if the publications such as The Garden and The Plantsman were for sale to non-members?

astragalus

« Reply #1023 on: June 03, 2015, 11:18:27 AM »
Another nice astragalus in bloom plus the first color change for the flowers of Eriogonum umbellatum ssp porteri.  There aren't that many truly alpine eriogonums and this is a great one with many color changes as the flowers mature plus the leaves turn a deep burgundy when the weather gets cold again.
1.  Astragalus monspessulans
2.  Eriogonum umb. ssp porteri
3.  Centaurea pestalozzi
Steep, rocky and cold in the
Hudson River Valley in New York State

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #1024 on: June 03, 2015, 05:16:04 PM »
Much as I loved Andrea's picture of a crevice garden, this is the real thing :). So lovely to see those plants growing outside Anne - I think the centaurea is one that Jon Evans showed in his pictures from the Wimborne AGS Show, with a comment that it was difficult. The answer: make a really good crevice garden! We've got the eriogonum growing in the sand bed but so far it is very small - would very much like to grow more of this genus.
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

astragalus

« Reply #1025 on: June 03, 2015, 11:07:11 PM »
Tim, the eriogonum shown is pictured in its first color change from bright yellow.  It will keep changing until it turns a deep rusty red.  It's a true alpine and amenable to rock garden culture.  All in all, just a great plant.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #1026 on: June 04, 2015, 10:15:44 AM »
Ian is very fond of Eriogonums and has raised several from seed  but they have never performed well here - I think the climate is not good enough in summer to ripen them for flowering.

astragalus

« Reply #1027 on: June 04, 2015, 11:25:42 AM »
Maggi, they really need dry air, which I don't have during the summer either.  But the one constant here is air movement - this tends to be a very breezy garden most of the time.  I think that helps getting away with humidity if the air is moving.

astragalus

« Reply #1028 on: June 04, 2015, 08:34:32 PM »
Such a wonderful time.  Things keep popping into bloom and every day is exciting.  Moltkia petraea is starting and it has also self-sown into some crevices, lovely.
I've made a good start on the second tufa garden and now have to wait until August for the rest of the rock to come so that I can finish it.  It's partly planted where there will be no future disturbance when I'm back to constructing.  It's terrible when you outrun your supply lines.  First, a whole day was spent cutting tufa and laying it out, so the building was really easy and thus speedy.

arilnut

« Reply #1029 on: June 10, 2015, 01:50:14 AM »
Here is the crevice bed I have been working on since last fall.
John  B.
Hopelessly hooked on Aril Iris

astragalus

« Reply #1030 on: June 12, 2015, 04:24:18 AM »
A nice accidental combination in the upper crevice bed.  The moltkia seeded itself there.  Plants think of things gardeners miss.

1,  Moltkia petraea and Centaurea biokevensis

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #1031 on: June 12, 2015, 09:13:58 AM »
Really lovely Anne! Ian Christie remarked elsewhere about Ian Y's short piece on the Beechgrove Gardening programme being (an all too short) breath of fresh air for those of us who love growing alpines. I would dearly love to see a programme on your's and some of the other N. American rock gardens and nurseries. It would be like gardening programmes eventually discovering the fresh air of the mountains: 'The Land above the Trees'! (Maybe I am waxing too poetic? :))

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #1032 on: June 12, 2015, 09:42:00 AM »
That would make for stunning television, Tim … I could recommend at least twelve more beautiful gardens and I'm sure that Panayoti and Mike Kintgen could add a further fifty or more (both private and public) - all crying out for recognition, exposure and commendation.  With the right presenter, an in-depth analysis of the history, location, design and, most importantly, the plants of the chosen gardens this could make for ground-breaking television.  There are so many wonderful gardens (not necessarily 'alpine' in every case) in the States and Canada that this could run and run.
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #1033 on: June 16, 2015, 08:14:53 PM »
My wife has been busy cleaning up and rearranging an old rock garden. Now for some grit sand and some plants.
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #1034 on: June 16, 2015, 08:23:08 PM »
A good start Ralph, I'll be interested to watch the progress.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal