We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Impressions of our trip from Holland to the SRGC Discussion Weekend 2009  (Read 12006 times)

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
When we decided to take part in the Discussion Weekend for the first time, the question came up how to get there.
We thought it a good idea to drive by car to see as much as possible of the British country.
Therefore we planned our trip driving from the south up to the north, roughly on the Eastern
side of the country and stay overnight in a more or less central place of a particular area.

I will show pictures of many places where we have been.
My wife loves to visit Castles and old Houses and not to forget churches.
But I got some opportunities to see gardens and plants too   ::) ;)
We made many pictures and it will take some time to show them here and resizing and sorting out will take some time too, so the series may last for several weeks or even longer.
With lots of good tips by some Forumists before the trip  :D, we started off by taking the
Ferry from Calais to Dover

« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 07:13:08 PM by Lvandelft »
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
Re: Impressions of our trip from Holland to the SRGC Discussion Weekend 2009
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 07:03:44 PM »
It was a rather long drive with much traffic, but helped by our navigation system letting us drive around some traffic jams near London  :D  :D, we came to the nice little town Bakewell in the Peak District, where we stayed for two nights.                                          
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 07:06:59 PM by Lvandelft »
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 07:06:40 PM »
The second day we made a nice tour around a part of the Peak District and visited several nice places and drove over the Winnat Snake Pass where we alas ended up in the very low clouds and did not see much of the landscape.
Many roads on the country side are very comfortable to drive on, but you need much more time as we are used to on the Continent. This was one of the warnings enclosed in the tips before we started off  ::) ::)
A very picturesque little place is Hayfield where we just could make a picture before a whole school class was coming down occupying the bridge to make drawings of the place.

Mt. Famine [nr. Hayfield] 473 m.            
and Hayfield                        

more later

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 07:13:51 PM »
Luit

You are capturing the ambience of a favourite area of the UK.  I look forward to many more photos  :)
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 07:41:42 PM »
It is years since I was in the Peak District Luit, you brought back memories, thank you.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 08:41:25 PM »
When did you last see the Dartford Tunnel in a travelogue!!!!  ;D ;D ;D
Keep it going, Luit, I am looking forward to the rest of your trip.
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 08:50:49 PM »
I think this is goingto be a really great thread ..... travelling through the country likethis!

I only hope that the pretty riverside scene in Hayfield is still as charming now, after all the rain and flooding there has been.... I fear that ledge with the parasol and plants may be washed away??  :o :-X
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2009, 09:36:57 PM »
Great report, Luit, and excellent photographs.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2009, 10:46:03 AM »
Hup Holland Hup !!

Go for it Luit - we want to see it all !!  ;)
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2009, 10:53:52 AM »
Bakewell is famous for the eponymous tart http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3943/bakewell-tart
but the name is derived from old english "Badeca"-personal name, and "wella" meaning spring or stream. The town is equally famous for it's warm natural springs.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

daveyp1970

• bulbs and corms you've got to love them.
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2009, 11:09:07 AM »
David there's also a fantastic Alpine Nursery not far away,i dont live that far away from there and every time i pass due to work i always pop in.
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2009, 03:40:57 PM »
Luit

lovely pictures of a great bit of the countryside. I used to live just down the road from Hayfield.The Snake pass is nearly always covered in cloud.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2009, 07:17:42 PM »
I am totally surprised that there are so many reactions already. So I’ll have to pull my socks up when showing the next posts ;D ;D ;D

I decided to show two more pictures of Hayfield (special for Tony). I must say that we, when standing on the bridge never thought of flooding possibility. It looks really peacefully on the picture.
And Davey will hopefully be happy too, when seeing the pictures of the fantastic Alpine Nursery near Bakewell.

We made a special detour to visit Castleton where show caves could be visited and of course a Castle  ::) :-X
But seeing the crowds and the overfilled parking we decided to leave as soon as possible and   it was raining at the same moment so we made just one not so good picture of the castle.
Coming out of the valley the weather cleared up and after a short stop in Hope we drove on to visit the ‘must go to’ little Alpine nursery of Steve Furness.

Peak District - Peveril Castle
Peak District - Hope - St. Peter Church 

Furness Nursery

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2009, 07:26:04 PM »
Some more pictures of the nursery. I fell for a huge second time flowering Gentiana angustifolia and was lucky that Mr. Furness would sell me one of his stock plants in pot  :D :D
The last four pictures of this day’s tour are made at Chatsworth House and the lovely rolling country side in the area.
As said before we needed too much time for driving (and visiting the nursery  :))and when we arrived, the House was only open for half an hour that day, so too short to go in. 
But we could look around at the stable area where the shops and restaurants are.

Furness Nursery
Gentiana Arctic Fanfare 1
Gentiana Arctic Fanfare 2
Chatsworth House

more later

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2009, 07:45:29 PM »
Luit,

You look so perfectly at home in the last photograph - to the manor born.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal