We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Impressions of our trip from Holland to the SRGC Discussion Weekend 2009  (Read 11836 times)

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
Re: Impressions of our trip from Holland to the SRGC Discussion Weekend 2009
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2009, 04:10:55 PM »
Go on Luit !
You're doing just fine !!  ;)

Wonderful pix ... and another nursery to visit on the occasion  ;D
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Katherine J

• Lurking and learning
    • Flowers from the Alps
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2009, 08:30:44 AM »
I also do enjoy Your pics very much Luit! Waiting for next episodes.  :)
Kata Jozsa - Budapest, Hungary
Zone 6

http://gardenonbalcony.blogspot.com

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2009, 09:04:28 PM »

Wonderful pix ... and another nursery to visit on the occasion  ;D

I’m afraid we did not visit so many nurseries as would have liked Luc :(
You know, this year  it’s more Castles etc…. but who knows, next year :)

I also do enjoy Your pics very much Luit! Waiting for next episodes.  :)
Thanks Kata, it’s my pleasure that so many people like our trip :D

From the Peak District we drove further northwards to Northumberland, passing many places where we would like to stay longer, but alas. As it was already Thursday and on Friday we should arrive in the hotel for the D.W. in Scotland.
So we headed for Alnwick, but short before arriving there we made a little detour to Warkworth Castle which was almost on our way. 
Warkworth is not far from the North Sea and the Castle was very interesting.
If you want to learn more about, here is a link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warkworth_Castle

Some pictures of the Castle and views:
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2009, 09:08:35 PM »
Then we drove to Alnwick, where we first went to the Tourist Information and reserved our next B&B near the Scottish Border up north and then visited Alnwick Castle.
The man on the gate told us that visiting the Castle would take some two hours time and for visiting the Garden about the same. As it was already 15.00 hrs. we decided to split and meet again at the gate appr. 2½ hours later.
So I had to drive around the whole place to visit the garden. I had two cameras with me in the car and me wife had almost all the (English) money. Mmm typical  ::) ::) :-X
When I came to the parking I just found £ 10 in the car for entering the garden (£9.95 !!!) and luckily, because it was rather late, there was nobody at the parking entrance otherwise :'(

I show first some pictures of the Castle, which I could make when coming out of the garden when the light still was just sufficient enough.
And I found two memory stones under a lime tree of the planting date, but I still don’t know who planted the young tree  ???Well, maybe Harry Potter helped a hand, when he was filmed here ;D ;D
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2009, 10:07:27 PM »
And now a few batches of the gardens at Alnwick.
For October there was still a lot to see.
The gardens are famous for their Water Plays, but when I came in I did not like it at all, a picture I made though.
After I walked around the whole garden I took a short rest (no coffee because no money!!  :'( ) and was lucky to see at least the fountains in front of where I sat, but a bit disappointing too :-\

Rosa Souvenire Rose
Clematis Marie Boisselot   
Anemone

Katherine J

• Lurking and learning
    • Flowers from the Alps
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2009, 07:27:31 AM »
What I like mostly in U. K. gardens are those old brick walls with the colorful borders.
Kata Jozsa - Budapest, Hungary
Zone 6

http://gardenonbalcony.blogspot.com

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2009, 10:33:09 AM »
Fortunately taking photographs was for free Luit...  :-\  if not, we would have missed these !!  ;)

Thanks again for sharing !
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2009, 06:39:04 PM »
batch 2

Alnwick Gardens                 
Clematis tangutica Lambton Park   
Nerine

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2009, 06:45:53 PM »
batch 3
Rosa Blush Noisette 
Alnwick dovecote
Passiflora                             
Kniphofia - Lobelia                 
Kniphofia Vanilla                         
Kniphofia Wrexham Buttercup                 

Later more

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2009, 06:46:40 PM »
Fortunately taking photographs was for free Luit...  :-\  if not, we would have missed these !!  ;)

Thanks again for sharing !
Luc, you greedy Belgian  ::) ::) ::)

There is nothing better than taking pictures by day and in the evening a good meal with “Old Speckled Hen “  :D :D :D
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 06:50:53 PM by Lvandelft »

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2009, 06:54:32 PM »

.......There is nothing better than taking pictures by day and in the evening a good meal with “Old Speckled Hen “  :D :D :D  ..........

I'm inclined to agree Luit ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2009, 02:36:15 PM »
Thank you Luit you have brought back happy memories of a lovely day at Alnwick Garden.  We have a Rosa Blush Noisette in the garden its probably about 8/10 years old and I wish i had a £ or a Euro for every flower it has had in that time. It really is a good doer.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2009, 07:47:14 AM »
Thank you Luit you have brought back happy memories of a lovely day at Alnwick Garden.  We have a Rosa Blush Noisette in the garden its probably about 8/10 years old and I wish i had a £ or a Euro for every flower it has had in that time. It really is a good doer.
Shelagh, glad that my taste for good plants is still o.k.  :)
When I saw those many buds I had the feeling of being a very good rose for our garden, because plants which such long flowering time are so important, instead of all the offered mass produced rubbish nowadays in garden centers  ::)

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2009, 08:47:28 PM »
From Alnwick we headed north along the coast, where we made short visits to a few very lovely villages. As it was already after 5 o’clock we just made some pictures and hope to come back once.
The first ones are made in Craster, which is really a scenic little place.
There is no direct road along the coast, so these villages are only reachable in one way leaving the main road. Driving on the main road we arrived in Embleton where a picturesque little church forced us to stop for a picture.
The next village on the coast was Low Newton-by-the-Sea, from where the view over the North Sea coastline is breathtaking too.

Craster                                     
Embleton The Church           
Low Newton-by-the-Sea

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2009, 08:52:57 PM »
Back on the main road, the last village of the day was Bamburgh, with a castle we already saw from the villages we visited before.
This is really an enormous castle near the coast.
Driving out of the village, St. Aidan’s Church was of course worth seeing and on St. Aidan’s Churchyard there was a monument for a heroic woman, called Grace Darling., who during a heavy gale, together with her father saved several people from a steamship wreck in 1838.
You may read the whole story here:
http://www.bamburgh.org.uk/index.htm
Leaving Bamburgh we had to find our B&B, near the Scottish Borders, just before it was really dark.
And we missed many places again, due by lack of time :( :(

Bamburgh
Bamburgh St. Aidan's Church                   
Bamburgh St. Aidan's Churchyard
B&B

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal