We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Hellebores 2010  (Read 19339 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Hellebores 2010
« Reply #105 on: March 28, 2010, 09:08:05 PM »
Previously there have been posts on the Forum - maybe the Old Forum? - showing H. niger which were entirely red or pink, in the wild. Simply, those populations were coloured instead of white flowered and they were superb. It wasn't a matter or their TURNING pink or red. They WERE pink or red, naturally, from birth, so to speak. I think they were in Bulgaria or Croatia or somewhere else in central Europe.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #106 on: March 28, 2010, 10:44:47 PM »
I can't find anything like that in the Old Forum..... :-\

but here: http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=2072.msg51025#msg51025   Hans J . quotes information he found about plants which may throw pink flowers.....

.....In the Triglav National Park Will McLewin has found forms which rapidly turn deep pink soon after the first flower on the plant is fertilised. Eric Hilton, writing in the AGS Bulletin in 1983 reports an interesting find south east of Klagenfurt in Austria, across the Yugoslavian border from Will McLewin's plants. In this population 'many of the plants were not the expected white but a kind of rusty rose. This is not a change of colour resultant upon fading or fertilisation,' he continues, 'for the unopened buds were of that same hue.' So it is clear that forms other than pure white do exist and this colouring is not found only in fertilised flowers.

Joe Sharman and Alan Leslie found populations with pink flowers in Slovenia and Elizabeth Strangman has also found them in the same general area. It seems that there are a number of separate populations with a greater or lesser degree of pink in the flowers, these being restricted to a relatively small area stretching from Klagenfurt in southern Austria into Slovenia, especially near the Italian border and as far south as Delnice; but there are also white flowered colonies in the same area......
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 10:48:42 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #107 on: March 28, 2010, 11:15:59 PM »
I think they were posted by someone called Tim someone. Maybe Simon/Chris will know of coloured populations?
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #108 on: March 28, 2010, 11:55:13 PM »
Well, Tim Murphy, is very much a hellebore man.... but I'm still searching hios posts... I have found this from Rob Illingworth in a thread where Tim was taking part....http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=254.msg5601#msg5601

http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=254.msg5472#msg5472
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Stephen Vella

« Reply #109 on: March 29, 2010, 09:46:10 AM »
Thanks Maggie and Lesley...looks to be genetics and a special micro climate, one that is in full sun in spring.

cheers
Stephen Vella, Blue Mountains, Australia,zone 8.

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
« Reply #110 on: March 29, 2010, 03:03:07 PM »
I've been following the discussion and Maggilinks with interest, and it makes sense now.  The lines from Tim Murphy when talking about intense color selections turning mostly white in cultivation: "We just don't get the long spells of intense, spring time sunshine that the plants would have to endure in the wild, so there is no need for them to produce the anthocyanins necessary to protect against photoinhibiton/high light stress". 

My H. niger always gets a degree of pink shading, but nothing like the strong pink color this year, but we've head the earliest spring in the past 10 years, with weeks of strong warming sunshine... so I too will put it down to microclimate.  Of the many seedlings that are coming up, I shall move some into positions where they get even more light.
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #111 on: March 29, 2010, 08:31:56 PM »
Thanks for the links Maggi. It seems I may have been somewhat mistaken in thing RED H. niger and that it is a post-pollination trait, at least to a large extent. even so, it would be worth searching for those forms which turn so STRONGLY red. ;)

Gerry Webster

« Reply #112 on: March 30, 2010, 12:09:27 PM »
Two plants of H. cyclophyllus from MESE seed (AGS Greek seed collecting expedition in 1999) flowering now.  They have been very slow to get established would probably have benefited from being moved but as they mark the graves of Milo the budgie and Fluffy the chicken they can't be touched!
I've only just seen these Gail - they are exceptionally beautiful. I had fritillaria seed from MESE; unfortunately they were all wrongly named!
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #113 on: March 31, 2010, 01:05:34 PM »
some different species,all green with the exception of the last.

Helleborus cyclophyllus
Helleborus viridis
Helleborus dumetorum this is only 20cms tall and tends to hide its flowers under the leaves
Helleborus odorus (slightly out of focus but it is sleeting and blowing a gale)
Helleborus orientalis
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #114 on: March 31, 2010, 05:37:28 PM »
Tony,
Green flowers look magically - especially on Helleborus and Fritillaria, don't they?

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #115 on: March 31, 2010, 05:47:45 PM »
Gerd not only magical but they seem to come up and flower much earlier than the hybrids and bring a bit of early interest to the garden.They are even better in the wild.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

TheOnionMan

« Reply #116 on: March 31, 2010, 07:44:06 PM »
Following up on my H. niger that is a strong pink color this year, and aware that aging fertilized flowers can deepen in color, I've never seen my plant go so totally pink.  Here's a photo taken yesterday in driving rain and gale force winds, the image a trifle out of focus, but the plant would not sit still ;)

« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 12:14:49 AM by TheOnionMan »
Mark McDonough
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #117 on: March 31, 2010, 08:53:41 PM »
Mark, you'd better change that file name or you won't find the Hellebore when next you want it. ;D

TheOnionMan

« Reply #118 on: April 01, 2010, 12:18:22 AM »
Mark, you'd better change that file name or you won't find the Hellebore when next you want it. ;D

Oops.. the photo before cropping shows Trillium nivale in the background too, you can see some of the Trillium leaves on the left, and the photo name had both plant names included... I guess when I backspaced part of the name I goofed up  :-[

Thanks, it is back to being a hellebore.
Mark McDonough
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #119 on: April 02, 2010, 10:13:46 PM »
Hellebores hybs

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal