We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus winter 2009/2010  (Read 86504 times)

arilnut

Re: Galanthus winter 2009/2010
« Reply #90 on: December 30, 2009, 09:15:17 PM »
Hello. I have run across mention of this a few times here.  There is "yellow" snowdrops?????  Are any pics
around?   Verrrry interesting!

John B

[/quote]

Chris - It didn't mention the author.  My renewal notice letter that came today had a list of about 4 future articles for 2010 and it listed amongst others: the origins of the yellow snowdrops.  No authors were given for any of the articles and the notice was on the reverse of the returnable portion which, rats, I just posted.  Maybe someone else could double-check.

johnw
[/quote]
John  B.
Hopelessly hooked on Aril Iris

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #91 on: December 30, 2009, 09:23:37 PM »
John B.... don't get over-excited... the yellow snowdrops are just snowdrops which have yellow ovaries  and/or a little yellow in the markings...... nine times out of ten the things are not stable, and those that are are far from robust! Not worth raising your blood pressure over!  ;)

( Now to sit back and see how long it taks a Galanthophile to rush out of his potting shed to beat me over the head and tell me I am a misguided and jaundiced old bag.........set clock............ ;D   )
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #92 on: December 30, 2009, 09:34:54 PM »
Maggi, you know I'm not a Galanthophile...

But just to satisfy John B...
Best wishes
Armin

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #93 on: December 30, 2009, 09:42:27 PM »
Armin, I'll accept that this was just an act of kindness on your part to spread information!!  ;) :D

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #94 on: December 30, 2009, 09:51:27 PM »
In the same manner, Maggi ;) :D
Best wishes
Armin

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #95 on: December 30, 2009, 09:55:39 PM »
John B.... don't get over-excited... the yellow snowdrops are just snowdrops which have yellow ovaries  and/or a little yellow in the markings...... nine times out of ten the things are not stable, and those that are are far from robust! Not worth raising your blood pressure over!  ;)

( Now to sit back and see how long it taks a Galanthophile to rush out of his potting shed to beat me over the head and tell me I am a misguided and jaundiced old bag.........set clock............ ;D   )

Maggi  you have surely missed the point-if you have a few of these and multiply them up you can swap them for really interesting things.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #96 on: December 30, 2009, 10:19:50 PM »

There are some highly virescent snowdrops where the green markings cover most of both the inner and the outer petals.  And, as Maggi pointed out, there are snowdrops where those markings that are normally green are yellow (some of which are stable and robust).  So surely it is only a matter of time before somebody breeds or discovers a lutescent snowdrop, being a yellow analogue of a virescent snowdrop?     
Almost in Scotland.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #97 on: December 30, 2009, 10:33:52 PM »

Maggi  you have surely missed the point-if you have a few of these and multiply them up you can swap them for really interesting things.

Tony, most are not happy enough up here to thrive  well enough to be swappable..... that is why the Castle Drops that are being selected by Ian the Christie Kind are so wonderful... they are robust growers, already predisposed to life in Scotland.... worth their little white weights in erythroniums (well, nearly!)

Besides, the BD is the most interesting thing I know, why on earth would I want to swap him?

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #98 on: December 30, 2009, 10:47:02 PM »
Maggi I'll have to send you a Wendy's Gold next year
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #99 on: December 30, 2009, 10:55:54 PM »
Mark,do you have Sophie North?

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #100 on: December 30, 2009, 11:12:26 PM »
Only a couple. I can ask others up here
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #101 on: December 31, 2009, 08:34:03 AM »
 Hi all, the article about Yellow snowdrops is written by John Richards, yes the primula man, he gave a superb lecture on the Northumberland yellows in Edinburgh at the Snowdrop day. I look forward with interest to see if they have printed all Johns information??.  cheers Ian the Christie kind.
Ian ...the Christie kind...
from Kirriemuir

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #102 on: December 31, 2009, 08:51:56 AM »
 Hi again, firstly thanks Maggie for the mention about the Castle snowdrops, I have some good chips almost ready so perhaps next year, sounds a long way away but this is the last day of 2009 and it is time to post this picture of Galanthus woronowii Elizabeth Harrison, this snowdrop is fantastic is hardy bulks up slowly and is named afte a wonderful friend who found the bulbs in her garden Elizabeth Harrison. I am writing this up for the SRGC journal,   cheers Ian the Christie kind.
Ian ...the Christie kind...
from Kirriemuir

snowdropman

« Reply #103 on: December 31, 2009, 08:59:21 AM »
Ian - many thanks for posting the name of the author of the article on yellow snowdrops - much appreciated.

Thanks also for posting this photo of your 'Elizabeth Harrison' - every time I see it it looks better & better, especially in a clump like this!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 09:21:56 AM by snowdropman »
Chris Sanham
West Sussex, UK

steve owen

« Reply #104 on: December 31, 2009, 09:11:04 AM »
Ian

Super snowdrop.

Steve
NCPPG National Collection Holder for Galanthus
Beds/Bucks border

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal