We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: North Green Catalogue is out  (Read 9978 times)

Gerard Oud

• nothing beats snowdrops!
    • Sneeuwklokjeshof Bucaneve
Re: North Green Catalogue is out
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2009, 08:43:39 AM »
I do have the same problem Martin, but luckily i have about 250 different snowdrops to choose from, but yes there are some snowdrops that suggest a breeding potential which i dont have yet.
The first seeds are showing theire leaves and the crossing BigBoy x Trym looks good.

steve owen

« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2009, 03:00:55 PM »
Two points spring to mind;

1. If prices were lower, would there be the same incentive for people to either grub through European forests on their hands and knees looking for new varieties, or to spend time hybridising?

2. Whare does the weight of evidence lie between the hybridisers and Mother Nature? By that I mean, do the more recent really attractive snowdrop varieties that also turn out to be good garden plants come mainly from naturally-occurring and discovered varieties, or from the efforts of hybridisers? My gut feeling is that Mother Nature is winning hands-down, but no doubt people will rapidly post contra examples! 
NCPPG National Collection Holder for Galanthus
Beds/Bucks border

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2009, 03:25:21 PM »
Two points spring to mind;

1. If prices were lower, would there be the same incentive for people to either grub through European forests on their hands and knees looking for new varieties, or to spend time hybridising?

2. Whare does the weight of evidence lie between the hybridisers and Mother Nature? By that I mean, do the more recent really attractive snowdrop varieties that also turn out to be good garden plants come mainly from naturally-occurring and discovered varieties, or from the efforts of hybridisers? My gut feeling is that Mother Nature is winning hands-down, but no doubt people will rapidly post contra examples! 

Steve - My hunch is Mother Nature can grow the quantities needed to achieve good results.

Having said that folks like Martin B. are on the right path. Really good-doers are what we need.

Just how many people are actively hybridizing?  

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2009, 03:32:08 PM »
I do have the same problem Martin, but luckily i have about 250 different snowdrops to choose from, but yes there are some snowdrops that suggest a breeding potential which i dont have yet.
The first seeds are showing theire leaves and the crossing BigBoy x Trym looks good.

Gerard - Which snowdrops do you think are potentially good breeding plants?  I also have to ask why?

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Gerard Oud

• nothing beats snowdrops!
    • Sneeuwklokjeshof Bucaneve
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2009, 03:55:28 PM »
John I look at the plants in several stages.
When does it start to show the first noses and how.
How does it look like when it appears, big or darkgreen or with lots extra bulbleaves or flowers(good grower)
Good breeders in general are good growers and plants that show a certain resistance against stagono, but also some extreme varieties that are not such a good growers can be interesting. I like to breed with Trym because its a good grower and a extreme one.

But i let mother nature do a lot too, but this works only when the bee's have more to choose from. What Steve means are the snowdrops that are a spontaneous mutation which can be temporary. What we do is helping mother nature a bit, but i agree with Steve she always wins. From the 1000 crossings one does, maybe 1% is interesting to save, the rest can be thrown away otherwise you loose sight totally!

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2009, 02:07:53 AM »
Steve - My hunch is Mother Nature can grow the quantities needed to achieve good results.

And she's been at this hybridising gig MUCH longer than any of the human hybridisers.  ;)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2009, 02:47:09 PM »
Paul Ravenhill there are good snowdrops on Joe Sharmans web site - Barbara's Double, David Shackleton,  Faringdon Double, Wendy's Gold ....
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 02:51:00 PM by mark smyth »
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2009, 07:22:54 AM »
Paul Ravenhill there are good snowdrops on Joe Sharmans web site - Barbara's Double, David Shackleton,  Faringdon Double, Wendy's Gold ....

I presume Mark means the list at http://www.monksilvernursery.co.uk/resources/Galanthus+Catalogue+2010.pdf

Almost in Scotland.

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2009, 12:38:03 PM »
The email address given is invalid. I wish you luck in contacting them - I spent all last year trying to send them a snowdrop I'd promised, but could not make contact at all. The answering machine was constantly full. :-\
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2009, 01:00:49 PM »
The email address given is invalid. I wish you luck in contacting them - I spent all last year trying to send them a snowdrop I'd promised, but could not make contact at all. The answering machine was constantly full. :-\
To clarify, Anne, do you mean the email for Monksilver or North Green?
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2009, 01:37:43 PM »
Monksilver.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2009, 01:52:41 PM »
Monksilver.

Yes, looking at it now, I think it should read info@monksilvernursery.co.uk
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2009, 04:37:07 PM »

And she's been at this hybridising gig MUCH longer than any of the human hybridisers.  ;)
Well actually, no Paul. If that was the case we wouldn't have distinct species which are separated by geography and are therefore unable to hybridise naturally. There are very few natural hybrids (X alleni). Only where man has brought them together would there be unintentional hybridisation, such as has happened at Brechin Castle.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2009, 01:00:30 AM »
Anthony,

I think that the majority of our named Galanthus aren't hybrids either, if you want to get into that technicality.  They're selections within particular species.  We then "hybridise" different marking forms to create other markings, which is what I was referring to.  They're all still within the same species in most cases.  I think from a named perspective, the vast majority are species selections aren't they, rather than actual species hybrids?
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2009, 10:01:27 AM »
The answering machine was constantly full.

Often the case with this nursery - especially in the snowdrop season run up!  Persistence is the answer.
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal