We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crocus January 2010  (Read 37913 times)

Sinchets

• our Bulgarian connection
  • On the quest for knowledge.
    • Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
Re: Crocus January 2010
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2010, 01:15:44 PM »
If it is any help my missing C.sieberi atticus was from Buried Treasure about 8 years ago. If anyone has pics of their form? I did also have C.aff sieberi from them, which 'vanished' in the attack.
Simon
Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
Stara Planina, Bulgaria. Altitude 482m.
Lowest winter (shade) temp -25C.
Highest summer (shade) temp 35C.

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2010, 02:04:33 PM »
Simon,

I have aff. sieberi from R&R Wallis... may have been original source for Rareplants.
Picture here : reply 336 - Crocus January 2009.

http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=2860.msg72679;topicseen#msg72679

« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 02:06:25 PM by Luc Gilgemyn »
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Sinchets

« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2010, 03:09:22 PM »
Thanks for that, Luc. It certainly doesn't look like your C.aff.sieberi- but at least I know what to look out for now  ;)
Simon

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2010, 07:27:04 PM »
Tony, Chris
in my first view I thought of C. sieberi ssp. atticus due the yellow throat. I was a bit uncertain of the elongated flower form (usual it is more compact) but explained myself it might be caused by low light conditions. Also the fine dots of the exterior pedals appear often in many species/variations. But Tony's doubts (hybrid / biflorus) made me thinking and investigating more...

Now I have another proposal: Is it a form of C. abantensis? Chris did you ever bought them?

I found a picture in John Longsdale Edgewoodgardens which resembles strongly (fine dots, no stripes, yellow throat, flower shape)

http://www.edgewoodgardens.net/Plants_album/The%20Plants%20-%20%20Complete%20Collection/Iridaceae/Crocus/Subgen%20Nudiscapus%20Ser%20Reticulati/C.%20abantensis/slides/Crocus%20abantensis%200002.html

What do the experts say?
Best wishes
Armin

Sinchets

« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2010, 08:41:53 PM »
Yes, Armin I have had C.abantensis (from Norman Stevens)- it is another one of my 'missing' bulbs- and yes I really do hate voles!! I think the form of the flower is quite normal as we have had no shortage of sunshine while it has been above ground. the flower is slightly smaller than the ones on C.sieberi 'Albus' nearby.
Thanks again for your help.
Simon

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2010, 09:02:37 PM »
I can see what you mean Armin - the flower has the right basic appearance.  I'm still uncertain though.  Not typical shape or outer petals for C abantensis.  Janis (or others) may have seen the wild variation which might help.  I still think the corm tunic will help.  There are differences between abantensis and etruscus which although fine would still help make a decision.

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2010, 02:06:58 PM »
I can see what you mean Armin - the flower has the right basic appearance.  I'm still uncertain though.  Not typical shape or outer petals for C abantensis.  Janis (or others) may have seen the wild variation which might help.  I still think the corm tunic will help.  There are differences between abantensis and etruscus which although fine would still help make a decision.

It is impossible to decide without seeing corm tunics. By flower I more tend to C. atticus or C. biflorus s.l. In attachment pictures of C. abantensis - looks very similar, too. The last show variability in wild.
Janis
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2010, 02:17:51 PM »
I'm looking on pictures made by Simon in his garden. In fireplace are playing yellow-orange-red flame flowers, it is warm. When I'm looking through window of my office to my garden, shivers run over me. Outside it is minus 15 C, all ids covered by deep snow. On radio I'm hearing about road chaos in Europe under snow, so I decided to show you some pictures from here. On first is twelve o'clock tea table, waiting serving. Brrrr.... Greenhouses are covered in deep snow. Chimneys are from house behind greenhouse. My greenhouses are without heating. Inside is minus 5 C and crocus leaves looks very good below cover.
Janis
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

Sinchets

« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2010, 02:31:03 PM »
It has been an unusual winter, Janis. This time last year we had 80cm of snow and had to wait another month for the first brave Crocus to flower.  ;)
I shall try to remember to take a pic of the corm when I dig the crocus up this summer.
Thanks to all again!
Simon

I.S.

• http://crocusmania.blogspot.com/search/label/Crocus
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2010, 02:35:48 PM »
Armin....
I am sure that is not C. abantensis at all. I have visited two times Abant but I have never seen a speckled sample. in your picture from edgewoodgarden there is too much contrast.
It doesn't look either a biflorus to me!
It is nearer to C. sieberi sp. as Armin's first thought.

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2010, 10:31:09 PM »
Such a pleasure to see your crocuses in flower enjoying the sunlight Simon, hard to imagine your warm temperatures when it's so freezing here - all our noses are red!
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

jnovis

• crocusfile
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2010, 11:07:33 PM »
Hi Janis, Its a wonder any crocus survive in your conditions. Here in the UK, we are also having a cold spell. At the moment we have 150mm of snow and night time temperatures of about   -8 deg C. Below is a picture of one of my greenhouses, which are heated by thermostatically controlled fan heaters to keep the frost out.
Latest crocus to flower is this sieberi nivalis or subimis (can`t see any hairs in throat) which came from Didima at 800M.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 11:12:23 PM by jnovis »
James (Jim) Novis,Horsham,West Sussex.

Sinchets

« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2010, 09:20:40 AM »
Lol- maybe we need a new thread for snow covered greenhouses  ;)
Simon

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2010, 11:36:50 PM »
Janis,
many thanks for your comments and showing us the variability of C. abantensis in the wild.
Ibrahim,
many thanks for your notes too. Sometimes first thought is the best ;) ;D
It seems we can't solve the little puzzle w/o lifting corm, sorry Chris.

Snow covered greenhouses: -Currently Europe is one single big icehouse.-
The last 2 days northern Germany was strongly hit by blizzard "Daisy". TV & Radio news were/are full of reports from snow drifts, booged down travellers, accidents and traffic caos, incommunicato of many villages, on the baltic sea cost there is a flood and imminence of breaching dams...  
Accidentally, this evening the movie "The day after tomorrow" was shown on TV, a story describing the impressive horror scenario of the next ice age. Outside here there is currently heavy snow fall, too.
A moment I started to believe we will end up with half year snow cover w/o spring crocus flowers...
That would be tough! ::)

« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 11:39:54 PM by Armin »
Best wishes
Armin

Melvyn Jope

« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2010, 04:59:41 PM »
Now that the snow has receded enough for me to easily get into the greenhouse I brought some crocus into the warm to photograph.
Crocus corsicus DMH2005-5 from Foret de Carrozzico 950m (very fragrant in the warm)
Crocus flavus from Northern Greece
Crocus olivieri from Vaskina Peloponnese.I like the bold stripe on the leaves of this species.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal