We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crocus January 2010  (Read 39574 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Crocus January 2010
« Reply #75 on: January 15, 2010, 01:07:26 PM »
I would recommend to compare your plant with the article "crocus biflorus in Anatolia"
by Kerndorff and Pasche. You can find some useful dates of the original species there
..... in the RHS .. "the Plantsman" journal, I think.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Sinchets

• our Bulgarian connection
  • On the quest for knowledge.
    • Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
« Reply #76 on: January 15, 2010, 01:27:49 PM »
The source was PC and the plants on his site pic have lilac flowers, but in no way, shape or form am I complaining  ;D
Here are 2 pics of the same plant now that the flower has closed at the end of the day- there seem to be almost 3 stripes on the outer petals. Thanks, Thomas  :)
Simon
Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
Stara Planina, Bulgaria. Altitude 482m.
Lowest winter (shade) temp -25C.
Highest summer (shade) temp 35C.

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #77 on: January 15, 2010, 01:53:20 PM »
I would recommend to compare your plant with the article "crocus biflorus in Anatolia"
by Kerndorff and Pasche. You can find some useful dates of the original species there

Here too for description of 2 new taxa in the biflorus complex.
More here (auf Deutsch), although not punctatus either.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 02:27:51 PM by ashley »
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #78 on: January 15, 2010, 01:54:30 PM »

Here too.

Even better, Ashley! Many thanks.  8)

Mmm..... that not the paper with the references to C. biflorus punctatus, though..... that is another, I fear.....

Crocus biflorus in Anatolia: part two.
Personal Authors: Kerndorff, H., Pasche, E.
Author Affiliation: Sundgauer Str. 144, 14167, Berlin, Germany.
Document Title: Plantsman

Abstract:

In this second part, a closer look is taken at individual C. biflorus populations in Lycian and Pisidian Taurus of SW Anatolia of Turkey. In addition to these two areas, SW Anatolia also consists of Caria and Pisidia, and these four areas seem to be the centre of distribution for the C. biflorus aggregate. This article considers the climate and phytogeographical elements of these areas, and reports a study of 25 populations. Some 7 characters were measured for a mean of 30 individuals per population and the data were subjected to multivariate analysis using UPGMA cluster analysis. The resulting dendrogram had two main clusters, the first comprising mainly of populations of subsp. tauri while the second comprised populations with affinities to subspp. nubigena, pseudonubigena and punctatus. Populations of the first cluster mainly belonged to the Irano-Tauranian element whereas populations of the second cluster either belonged to the Mediterranean element or to the Mesopotamian district of the Irano-Turanian element. A series of colour photographs and maps are included.

Publisher: Royal Horticultural Society (RHS)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 04:51:43 PM by Maggi Young »

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #79 on: January 15, 2010, 02:14:53 PM »
Sorry Maggi, reading the other one put punctatus out of my mind. 
Subscription only it seems :P
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #80 on: January 15, 2010, 02:15:35 PM »
Yes, Ashley...... drat it!  :P

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #81 on: January 15, 2010, 02:19:29 PM »
The source was PC and the plants on his site pic have lilac flowers, but in no way, shape or form am I complaining  ;D
Here are 2 pics of the same plant now that the flower has closed at the end of the day- there seem to be almost 3 stripes on the outer petals. Thanks, Thomas  :)

Whatever it is Simon, it's a real beauty !!
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Sinchets

« Reply #82 on: January 15, 2010, 03:15:54 PM »
I agree, Luc- and maybe one of those flowers better appreciated closed than open.
Also 'flowering' here today another group of C.korolkowii, which I may not get to see open as we have more snow on the way.
Simon

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
« Reply #83 on: January 15, 2010, 03:48:29 PM »
Crocus biflorus punctatus is quite specific plant. For determination can be used hard coriaceous corm tunics (similar to isauricus). Important is length of filaments and anthers. In subsp. punctatus filaments are 2-4 mm long, anthers 11-13 mm long, but in isauricus - filaments 4-7 mm long, anthers 7-11 mm long. There are two forms generally in cultivation, white and blue. Anthers usually has blackish basal lobes, but in white colored specimens they can be absent. Those basal lobes you can see on fragment of picture.
Simon's plant has blackish tips of anthers which are not so characteristic, but variability can be larger than known to me. At present I can't remember that I sometimes saw such anthers. I suppose that I know from where (not from me!) comes corms sold by PC. There are grown several biflorus complex acquisitions and corms offered by him could be hybrids. But this is only speculation.
Janis
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

Sinchets

« Reply #84 on: January 15, 2010, 04:55:28 PM »
Thanks, janis. The stigmas of mine are longer than the stamens unlike those you show. Have you any ideas what the parents could be if this is a hybrid?
Simon

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
« Reply #85 on: January 15, 2010, 07:36:58 PM »
Thanks, janis. The stigmas of mine are longer than the stamens unlike those you show. Have you any ideas what the parents could be if this is a hybrid?

May be nubigena, pseudonubigena. Really I have no idea at present.
Janis
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #86 on: January 15, 2010, 09:20:49 PM »
Regarding C. biflorus ssp. punctatus discussion:

Does anybody have good pictures of C. alatavicus (i.e.top view to see style and anthers) for comparison?

I did not found a good one. It is just to satisfy my interest. :D
Best wishes
Armin

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #87 on: January 15, 2010, 11:38:41 PM »

The biflorus group is one of the most difficult in the genus and I would never dare
to give a 100% identification just from a photo. One of the most important features is
to know where the plant came from, if this isn't known you can cancel any ID attemps.

TH

I struggle with this concept,surely if it is distinct it must key out. I had this discussion once about dactylorhiza and was told knowing where it came from was essential in order to identify it. There seems no logic in this.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Sinchets

« Reply #88 on: January 16, 2010, 08:17:01 AM »
I'm inclined to agree with Thomas. Species and subspecies are often described from a limited number of individuals found in 1 particular location. If you are then presented with a plant from an intermediate location will it be difficult to identify this from a key that was not designed to include intermediates.
This is made even more difficult in genera such as Dactylorhiza, which show natural variation making keying out difficult. They also hybridise easily and knowing a location makes it easier to work through the possible parent species. Go to another location and the genetic makeup could be quite different. Better still go to an area like Bulgaria or Northern Greece, where Dactylorhiza in the mountain areas have been poorly studied, and you can only make assumptions based on possibilities. Even this has its faults. What do you do when a key says a plant does not grow in a certain area? Ophrys reinholdii was discovered growing in Bulgaria a few years. Check any orchid book from before this date and Bulgaria will not be in a list of locations for this species- yet it does grow here  ;)
Keying out is made harder when new species are determined by ever smaller details and differences, so that ultimately we are left with a hoard of 'mutabile', 'confusum' and 'sororum' species as we see in Fritillaria and Colchicum.
Simon

Thomas Huber

• Neustadt Croconut
« Reply #89 on: January 16, 2010, 10:14:17 AM »
I struggle with this concept,surely if it is distinct it must key out. I had this discussion once about dactylorhiza and was told knowing where it came from was essential in order to identify it. There seems no logic in this.

Surely you are right, Tony, the plant must key out somehow, but I only meant that this is hard to do ONLY FROM A PHOTO!
There might be species from the biflorus complex, for which this is possible, like ssp biflorus with its wide distribution in
Italy, but looking at the rare ones like ssp punctatus, that only grow in a small area it is hard if not impossible in my opinion.
In the last years there have been so many new discoveries of biflorus ssp, some of them only present on a single mountain,
they look similar to other ssp in first sight, but they do show important differences and the phylogenetic research of these
plants shows clearly, that they are related to other ssp, but not the same. And I have to agree with Simon: The biflorus
ssp show an unbelievable amount of variation, so how can these plants be described from just a few samples? And we have
to accept, that plants don't read these books in which humans write how they have to look and where they have to grow  ;D

To find a final conclusion, I hope you will agree with me, that it is really helpful for ID to know where the plants origin was?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 10:21:21 AM by Thomas Huber »
Thomas Huber, Neustadt - Germany (230m)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal