We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cyclamen 2010  (Read 100621 times)

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
Re: Cyclamen 2010
« Reply #495 on: November 05, 2010, 10:36:33 PM »
YT  - I had the same peltate leaves on a C. purpurascens last year. Unfortunately it wasn't stable.

This year I have been watching 2 flats of hederifolium, seed from a kind Forumist.  It is amazing the variety of first leaves produced.  I had two plants with Sassafras matching mitts, one shaped like a lyre and one shaped like a Sanguinaria.  Most lost these features with the second leaf.

It would be great to get one with a stable peltate leaf like a Nelumbo.

Roma - a spectacular George B.. From seed?

Gail - What a wonderful bed of silvers.

johnw  
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 10:38:12 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #496 on: November 06, 2010, 07:51:25 AM »
Lovely pics, everyone.  Thanks.  Gorgeous bed of silver heds, and I love the coum ssp albissimum.... makes me want my albissimum seedlings to hurry up.  Seed courtesy of a generous German forumist a year or two ago.  Probably a good thing I can't speed everything up in it's growing from seed.  I already have problems with space, imagine how much more hassle I'd have if everything grew up to maturity from seed in 12 months.  :o :o  They say anticipation is good...... I'm not exactly sure about that. ::)

Thanks again for the pics. 8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

YT

• Twitter
« Reply #497 on: November 06, 2010, 12:59:28 PM »
Axel, dank!

John, that's sounds interesting about peltate leaf C. purpurascens and hederifolium. I will keep my eyes on my Nelumbo leaf coum ;)
Tatsuo Y
By the Pacific coast, central part of main island, Japan

Roma

« Reply #498 on: November 06, 2010, 05:55:47 PM »
John, my C.coum alb. G. Bisson  was grown from Cyclamen society seed sown in January 2006.  According to the label 11 seeds were sown and in 2007 there were 3 tubers in the pot.  The flowers are more substantial and on stronger stems than 'Golan Heights' which I find rather floppy.  There's been at least one  green leaf in the pot most of the summer so maybe not being dried off has led to out of season flowering though I have not seen this happen with other forms of coum which may leaf early but do not open flowers till after the new year.
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #499 on: November 13, 2010, 10:33:53 PM »
Coum flower

1-2 same flower different angle.

Mark Griffiths

« Reply #500 on: November 14, 2010, 06:34:01 PM »
try again, my post just got eaten.

Can anyone give me a positive ID on this? Cam to me as C.hederifolium confusum Fotio Peleponnese. It wasn't included in the journal where they gave the ID by collection location
Oxford, UK
http://inspiringplants.blogspot.com - no longer active.

Melvyn Jope

« Reply #501 on: November 14, 2010, 09:11:15 PM »
Mark, the plant that you have shown, formerly described as Cyclamen hederifolium var confusum, is now named Cyclamen hederifolium ssp crassifolium.  Field work by the Cyclamen Society and scientific work by Reading University has shown that Cyclamen confusum is a new species which comes from the area including Topolia, Sirikari and Polyrinnia in Crete.
Further studies are required to establish the full range and nature of the subspecies that you are growing.

Mark Griffiths

« Reply #502 on: November 14, 2010, 10:44:00 PM »
Melvyn, that is excellent news. I have another pot of C.confusum from one of the named locations so I've managed to get both that and crassifolium. Plus it seems a very nice plant.

Do you have any info on the hardiness of C. confusum and crassifolium? I have them out in a cold frame but perhaps I shoulkd move them into the greenhouse?
Oxford, UK

Melvyn Jope

« Reply #503 on: November 15, 2010, 08:23:32 PM »
Mark, I have Cyclamen confusum outside which survived a few days of -10 but it is up against a fence so a bit sheltered, it flowers and sets seed well. If you have enough to risk it I would certainly try it outside but would now leave it until warmer weather next year before you plant them. I would expect them to be fine in a cold frame. C.hederifolium ssp crassifolium is a bit more of an unknown quantity, I reckon most would be ok planted out but it depends on where they came from and your local conditions, sowing seed of this ssp outside first might be a safer bet, my inclination with a nice plant like the one in your photo would be to give it a bit more care.

Mark Griffiths

« Reply #504 on: November 15, 2010, 09:36:46 PM »
Thanks Melvyn. It was in the frame with the C.confusum and it was ok there last year (we are close to Benson which was the coldest place in England one night last year) - but I think I'll keep it in the grrenhouse now. Must go and move the confusum too.
Oxford, UK

cycnich

• Mister 1000
« Reply #505 on: November 22, 2010, 05:15:10 PM »
Paid a visit to Tilebarn nursery in Kent on Saturday. A warm welcome from Peter and Elizabeth as usual and I came away with quite a few goodies not only cyclamen but a couple of nice galanthus as well. A few photos of the stock plants and plants for sale.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 05:17:38 PM by cycnich »
Pat Nicholls, Cyclamen and associated bulbs.

Shoreham by sea West Sussex, UK

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #506 on: November 22, 2010, 05:50:39 PM »
Pat great to see, it is a truly wonderful collection and as you say always a warm welcome.Pity it is 300 miles each way.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

cycnich

• Mister 1000
« Reply #507 on: November 22, 2010, 06:05:12 PM »
A long way for you Tony, a lot less for me but I don't go as often as I should. Peter is a gentleman and one of the nicest people you could ever wish to meet and I have been lucky to travel with him to Greece on 2 occasions and he is fantastic company. Sadly nothing is forever and I am not sure how much longer the nursery will be there, Peter is now 78 years old and has suffered health problems recently but is still as enthusiastic as ever, all I can say is to anybody reading this is if you get a chance to go there then make the effort you will always be made welcome.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #508 on: November 22, 2010, 06:36:45 PM »
I saw this Cyclamen and grabbed it quick. It was labelled as C. hederifolium. It has a few leaves that look like hederifolium but is it?
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

cycnich

• Mister 1000
« Reply #509 on: November 22, 2010, 06:51:06 PM »
Hederifolium yes I would say so but the leaves do look very fleshy so it could well be ssp crassifolium, but a nice leaf form whatever.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal