We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cyclamen 2010  (Read 96607 times)

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
Re: Cyclamen 2010
« Reply #540 on: December 16, 2010, 08:27:06 PM »
Melvyn -   I wondered if you were growing Bowles' Apollo so this news and the appearance of pink suffusion is doubly exciting.  So far there are 5 pink seedlings but the one in the post is certainly the most pronounced.

I have grown lots of Bowles' Apollo seed and can't recall any pinkish-ness. Perhaps I was just inattentive.  As cyclamen seed leaves in a communal pots get so entangled one can easily lose track of what's happening. This year I have planted Melvyn's seed one seed per cell in 2 flats with 144 cells - and 3 weeks ago the leftovers in a flat of 50 cells - hence it is possible to see the changes from first leaf to the following ones.  The observations are eye-opening; pure silver changing to unmarked green and more commonly the reverse, dark shiny green with silver centre to the reverse and silver edges becoming silver-centred!

Thanks again Melvyn for the seed and I will keep you updated.

A question - has anyone successfully propagated a cyclamen by chopping in half a tuber with multiple floral stalks in half to replicate? I once accidentally halved a huge old hederifolium tuber with the spade, I was 50% successful. And are multiple stalks necessary?

johnw - +6c and sunny
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 08:37:04 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Oron Peri

• Middle Eastern Correspondent for the Forum
  • Living in the Galilee Region, min. temp. 5c max 40
    • Seeds of Peace
« Reply #541 on: December 18, 2010, 10:37:22 AM »
Two of my persicums
C persicum var. autumnale, blooming successfully this year, this plant is in flower for 4 weeks now.
seedlings of 'Persian Beauty'.
Tivon, in the lower Galilee, north Israel.
200m.

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #542 on: December 18, 2010, 10:49:44 AM »

A question - has anyone successfully propagated a cyclamen by chopping in half a tuber with multiple floral stalks in half to replicate? I once accidentally halved a huge old hederifolium tuber with the spade, I was 50% successful. And are multiple stalks necessary?

johnw - +6c and sunny

A friend is now successfully rooting and more importantly growing on cuttings of hederifolium. He takes a growing point (floral trunk) with leaves attached and a tiny amount of the underlying tuber. These root and a new tuber is formed.They are put in a heated propagator. As you would expect mould is a challenge and precautions are necessary against it.It is interesting that the ones he took last spring did not go dormant and have continued to grow through the summer and are now flowering.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #543 on: December 18, 2010, 01:27:41 PM »
Two of my persicums
C persicum var. autumnale, blooming successfully this year, this plant is in flower for 4 weeks now.
seedlings of 'Persian Beauty'.

Oron those are lovely leaves. It is amazing the diversity of leaf pattern on persicum. Also love the autumnale
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #544 on: December 18, 2010, 01:35:00 PM »

johnw - +6c and sunny

A friend is now successfully rooting and more importantly growing on cuttings of hederifolium. He takes a growing point (floral trunk) with leaves attached and a tiny amount of the underlying tuber. These root and a new tuber is formed.They are put in a heated propagator. As you would expect mould is a challenge and precautions are necessary against it.It is interesting that the ones he took last spring did not go dormant and have continued to grow through the summer and are now flowering.

Tony I too have seen these plants and it is a very interesting method indeed. I believe a paper on this method of propagation is being prepared for the Cyclamen Society.
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

Melvyn Jope

« Reply #545 on: December 18, 2010, 05:33:14 PM »
I have attempted to divide tubers into two or more pieces, usually when treating damaged tubers rather than as a method of increasing desirable forms. I have had success with C.hederifolium, C.graecum ssp candicum and C.rohlfsianum. The attached photos are of Cyclamen rohlfsianum forma album which I divided into two as the tuber was crescent shaped and rather soft when I received it. The strange thing is that the first piece has many leaves wth an average width of 2.5 cms and the second has fewer leaves with an average width of 9 cms and has a completely different appearance.

Melvyn Jope

« Reply #546 on: December 18, 2010, 05:35:16 PM »
Oron, superb leaves on Cyclamen persicum 'Persian Beauty', thanks for showing.

johnw

« Reply #547 on: December 18, 2010, 06:49:40 PM »
Tony & Melvyn - Thanks for that.

On another note I have been waiting expectantly to see how two tiny hederifolium seedlings would develop.  They promised to be very dwarf but it appears they are growing out of that.  There is a dwarf strain of persicums which used to be about in the supermarkets. I can't recall seeing them of late but I really haven't been looking for them.  I wonder how that strain was developed. Are there naturally occuring dwarf persicums?  It would be wonderful to have dwarf hederifoliums and purpurascens.

johnw   -  +3c and overcast.

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #548 on: December 21, 2010, 08:08:29 PM »
Happy Holidays everyone

johnw

« Reply #549 on: December 28, 2010, 06:41:20 PM »
A few C. hederifoliums seedlings that have been pulled for further assessment.

Off to repot the rohlfs into 25cm clay pots.

johnw

Regelian

• waking escapes the dream
« Reply #550 on: December 28, 2010, 07:25:11 PM »
Wow, John!

those are choice!  Nice work.

Jamie
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

johnw

« Reply #551 on: December 28, 2010, 11:43:26 PM »
Wow, John!
those are choice!  Nice work.
Jamie

Jamie  - I'm afraid it's no work on my part, simply seed from the Cyclamen Society.

johnw

Susan Owl

« Reply #552 on: December 29, 2010, 04:50:18 PM »
How beautiful, John! I like especially those in pic 141.
Susanne Deininger, near Berlin, Germany

johnw

« Reply #553 on: December 29, 2010, 04:55:09 PM »
How beautiful, John! I like especially those in pic 141.

Susan - I sent seed in to the SRGC of the better long-leafed silver hederifoliums. Sorry I would send you some but I sowed the last here a month ago and every one came up last week.

johnw - -1c & cloudy.

Susan Owl

« Reply #554 on: December 30, 2010, 10:34:40 AM »
John, thank you so much.  :) Perhaps next year there will be another chance.
Susanne Deininger, near Berlin, Germany

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal