We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Oncoseason 2010  (Read 60482 times)

Richard Green

• Journal Access Group
  • SRGC Treasurer
Re: Oncoseason 2010
« Reply #150 on: April 18, 2010, 11:01:41 AM »
I have just returned from a trip to Israel, and could not resist looking up some Oncos in between visits to relatives.  We are constrained by school holidays in the time we can visit, but luckily arrived back in the UK early Tuesday morning just before the volcanic ash problems.

The first picture is Iris lortetii growing in a reserve north of the Sea of Galilee.  This was a plant growing in the wetter (lower) part of the reserve, those growing higher up the hill had less competition from the undergrowth.
212021-0

The second picture is a closeup and is interesting to compare this Miriam’s pics of Iris samariae, or Iris lortetii var. samariae here: http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=4755.msg143993#msg143993  Others more qualified than I can argue about the taxonomy.
212023-1

We did visit a further Israel Nature and Parks Authority Reserve in the Golan Heights, but it can be a bit difficult to search all the other likely areas!
212025-2

On the way south we stopped off at a Reserve on the outskirts of Netanya to look at the habitat of Iris atropurpurea.  See Miriam’s pictures of flowers here: http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=4755.msg133658#msg133658  The plants were of course by now well past flowering (two months on), however it may help those of you trying to cultivate to see that they are growing on dunes in pure beach sand which was bone dry, and likely to remain so for many months.
212027-3

There was plenty of evidence of seeding - but do not bother to PM me asking for any as we left it all to germinate naturally.
212029-4

This reserve is completely surrounded by the encroaching town, and it is worrying to speculate on the future human pressures that this reserve will suffer from in the coming years.
212031-5

It was a great trip and many thanks to Oron for his useful advice to me in advance !
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 11:12:56 AM by Richard Green »
Richard Green - Balfron Station, West Central Scotland

Regelian

• waking escapes the dream
« Reply #151 on: April 18, 2010, 12:40:22 PM »
Richard, great shots and thanks for taking those of the habitat.  I brings a much fuller picture to mind, as to how these plants actually grow.  Very reassuring to see seed pods in the wild, even with an encroaching town.

John,

your arid bed looks great.  Mine will hopefully be similarly successful, having had the benefit of seeing yours as it was built (ASI).  How much annual rainfall do you get?  Are the summers dry or do you protect the bed from summer rain?  Altough I. lycotis is oft considered one of the easier Oncos for the garden, I've yet to succeed with it.  I suspect my wetter summers are the problem, although, if our current weather is any forwarning, we may have a very dry summer in the Cologne area..

Jamie
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

arilnut

« Reply #152 on: April 18, 2010, 03:02:13 PM »
Hi Jamie.  According to National Weather Service the average (which I don't put much stock in, the weather
will do what it wants) is 30 inches annually. They say May & June 4in., July, August, & Sept. 3in..
Those summer month totals tho can be just 1 or 2 thunderstorms and the rest of the month hot & dry.
I do not cover the beds.  This corner bed I show was the first major Aril sp. bed I made. The one you  refer to
in the ASI article is the third. The second one is under a cedar tree & raised 5 inches filled with Moline limestone.
 Then there are the 4 Arilbred beds raised 3 to 5 inches with somewhat less gravel mixed with native soil.
Just went out to check and I. sprengeri has just started to unfurl 1 fall. It is cool, cloudy, and chance
of rain today so might not open till tomorrow. I will post a pic when it does. Now I need to go find the Regelia
thread to post pics to.

John

John,

your arid bed looks great.  Mine will hopefully be similarly successful, having had the benefit of seeing yours as it was built (ASI).  How much annual rainfall do you get?  Are the summers dry or do you protect the bed from summer rain?  Altough I. lycotis is oft considered one of the easier Oncos for the garden, I've yet to succeed with it.  I suspect my wetter summers are the problem, although, if our current weather is any forwarning, we may have a very dry summer in the Cologne area..

Jamie
[/quote]
John  B.
Hopelessly hooked on Aril Iris

Miriam

• Artistically inclined agronomist
« Reply #153 on: April 18, 2010, 04:50:07 PM »
Richard,

Very nice pictures!

The leaves of Iris samariae are more wider and falcate, unlike the straight leaves of Iris lortetii.
The flowers of Iris samariae are more larger, but generally Iris lortetii and Iris samariae are very similar.

Rehovot, Israel

arilnut

« Reply #154 on: April 18, 2010, 07:07:25 PM »
And my 2nd. Onco, I.sprengeri.  A little petal damage, don't know if it is weather or insect related.

John B
John  B.

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #155 on: April 19, 2010, 09:32:36 AM »
Great pictures John B. !!! Love your beds !  The onco's seem to feel at home !!  ;D ;D

Richard,
Thanks for taking us along on your walks - great job !!  8)
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Hans A.

• bulb growing paradise
« Reply #156 on: April 21, 2010, 09:33:14 AM »
Beautiful plants John - is your Iris iberica ssp. lycotis always short in size?

Richard thanks for the pics of Israel.

Here some more Oncos are in flower.
Iris kirkwoodii, Iris lortetii,  Iris iberica ssp. lycotis, Iris paradoxa and Iris sofarana.
I am specially happy about the last one as it is the first flower of it - think the six years from sowing to get the first flower was worth to wait.
Hans - Balearic Islands/Spain
10a  -  140nn

Hristo

« Reply #157 on: April 21, 2010, 09:52:52 AM »
John,Hans, super photos and plants.Hans sofarana was well worth the wait, my favourite from a batch of beauties!
Hristo passed away, after a long illness, on 11th November 2018. His support of SRGC was  much appreciated.

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #158 on: April 21, 2010, 10:01:32 AM »
Gorgeous flowers Hans and warm congrats to get I. sofarana to flowering size ! I agree with Chris, it's a beauty !

I love the velvety I. paradoxa very much as well !  8)

Many thanks for showing and look forward to the next batch !   ;)
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Hans A.

• bulb growing paradise
« Reply #159 on: April 21, 2010, 09:11:47 PM »
Thanks Chris and Luc - most Oncos are over here, but I suppose there will bloom still enough for a new small batch. ;)
Hope to see some more Onco pics from Belgium, France, US and Spain soon... ;) 8)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 09:19:31 PM by Hans A. »
Hans - Balearic Islands/Spain
10a  -  140nn

arillady

« Reply #160 on: April 22, 2010, 12:46:45 AM »
Always great to see the arils insitu and also how others manage their growing needs and seeing Hans photos of fabulous blooms.
Thank you so much Miriam for the hint on the differences between samaraie and lortetii leaves - the letter S is wider and 'l' is thin and narrow - my way of remembering!
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

arilnut

« Reply #161 on: April 22, 2010, 03:30:49 AM »
Here is my second Sprengeri yesterday and Paradoxa Atrata today.

John B
John  B.

Regelian

• waking escapes the dream
« Reply #162 on: April 22, 2010, 08:07:44 AM »
John,

the atrata is simply wonderfull.  A very smart-looking flower.  Did you grow this from seed?
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

arilnut

« Reply #163 on: April 22, 2010, 11:31:41 AM »
No Jamie, got it from Bondarenko last year.

John

John,

the atrata is simply wonderfull.  A very smart-looking flower.  Did you grow this from seed?
John  B.

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
« Reply #164 on: April 22, 2010, 03:28:36 PM »
Hans , superbly grown and photographed plants . Hard to pick a favourite from your 5 ,but it has to be Iris sofarana  .
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 08:40:35 AM by Otto Fauser »
Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal