We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Oncoseason 2010  (Read 59424 times)

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
Re: Oncoseason 2010
« Reply #285 on: August 17, 2010, 09:49:15 AM »
Marcus has sent me a pic to post ; he writes "could you post the pics I sent just now on SRGC Forum. I might have beaten Pat to the punch with one of her own plants!!"
cheers
fermi
on behalf of Marcus
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

arillady

« Reply #286 on: August 17, 2010, 10:51:30 AM »
Yes Marcus is ahead of me in posting - I hope to have a couple of spikes to take to a talk tomorrow. Hope they open in the warm car.
Took 4 spikes to Renmark to David Ruston on Friday - two had opened and the other two I hope were far enough advanced to open up.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

PeterT

« Reply #287 on: August 20, 2010, 08:27:08 AM »
Does anybody have measured the Onco roots length in culture ?
And check if most of them will die in the summer or remain dormant and still alive, to elongate more next season ?
here are some pictures I took yesterday while repotting Iris petrana, it got some rain in the last 10 days while it was waiting or there would not have been quite so much root. The old roots are visable in one picture
living near Stranraer, Scotland. Gardening in the West of Scotland.

PeterT

« Reply #288 on: August 20, 2010, 08:29:59 AM »
the finished result, will be waterd once or twice, with insecticide, before mid winter and the sand plunge kept slightly damp

PeterT

« Reply #289 on: August 20, 2010, 08:35:32 AM »
And a similar series for an Iris sari, note the roots which escaped through the bottom of the pot which sustained some top growth through the summer. the pot was shatterd in the heavy frost last winter

PeterT

« Reply #290 on: August 20, 2010, 08:37:17 AM »
Iris sari cleaned and ready to repot

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #291 on: August 20, 2010, 08:47:30 AM »
the finished result, will be waterd once or twice, with insecticide, before mid winter and the sand plunge kept slightly damp

Very instructive Peter !  :D
... and my goodness, what a wonderful pot !  :o
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

PeterT

« Reply #292 on: August 20, 2010, 09:00:43 AM »
Thanks Luc,
I hope it helps some one. I will try to post some of one that has been drier. If you look at the sari roots you can see they are branching, I think they are best potted berfore this happens.

arillady

« Reply #293 on: August 20, 2010, 11:10:31 AM »
Peter those roots are so so healthy and long. What is in your mix?
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

PeterT

« Reply #294 on: August 20, 2010, 07:06:55 PM »
Hi Pat, as best I can remember the mix I made up this year is as follows,
30 sacks of loam/ subsoil, 20 sacks of horticultural 6mm grit, 10 sacks of 2 - 3 mm round grit, 1/2 sack 0 - 2 mm carboniferous limestone rock dust, 5kg 4:2:8 NPK organic fertilizer, 2 kg bonemeal, 2kg calcified seaweed (NB I think the N:P:K numbers are calculated diferently in different countries) in all making about 2200 lieters of compost,  (1sack =about 30 ltrs), rhizomes are dusted with dolomitic lime and posiably bordeaux mixture (copper sulfate). Each year I wait to see if I've got my sums right when the plants start to grow. There is extra grit and gravel around the rhizomes and as top dressing.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #295 on: August 20, 2010, 07:15:09 PM »
Peter, those really are industrial quantities, do you use a mixer? One of these days you must post some pictures of your growing set up I'm sure there is lots for us all to learn.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #296 on: August 20, 2010, 07:22:09 PM »
Peter, may I enquire where you purchase your 1/2 sack 0 - 2 mm carboniferous limestone rock dust in Derbyshire?
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

PeterT

« Reply #297 on: August 20, 2010, 07:31:07 PM »
I wish I had more room David, then I would use a mixer. As it is, i just use my own broken back! It's mixed in a corner by the back door with a shovel.
The carboniferous rock dust is from Derbyshire Aggregates, between Youlgrave and Pikehall, so is the grit and gravel.
Peter, may I enquire where you purchase your 1/2 sack 0 - 2 mm carboniferous limestone rock dust in Derbyshire?
Chem pak then Vitax produced the dolomitic dust but I can't get it now. I am being ecconomic with what I've got left so I should be glad of a source, or i shall have to take up rock crushing in my spare time

arillady

« Reply #298 on: August 20, 2010, 11:24:12 PM »
Interesting - wonder if there is a possibility of getting some of these ingredients in Oz.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

PeterT

« Reply #299 on: August 21, 2010, 10:49:06 AM »
Iris kirkwoodii roots which have been kept a bit drier than the petrana and sari in previous posts. you can see the dead brown roots and the paler new roots grown at the base of the new rhizomes at end of flowering. These are about to grow side roots ( there are a couple) as soon as there is some moisture, which will also stimulate more main roots from below the growing tips

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal