We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Juno (Scorpiris) - Season 2010  (Read 55058 times)

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
Re: Juno (Scorpiris) - Season 2010
« Reply #165 on: April 11, 2010, 07:50:00 PM »
True Iris maracandica from Nuratau mnt, Uzbekistan (Timurlan gate). Mostly under name of I. maracandica are offered I. svetlaneae (see pictures earlier on this topic).
Janis
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
« Reply #166 on: April 12, 2010, 02:44:34 PM »
FLowering here today:

Iris vicaria 'Hodji-obi-garm'
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

Andrew

• Trainee Croconut
« Reply #167 on: April 13, 2010, 09:13:31 AM »
A couple from the garden,

210616-0

Iris bucharica

210618-1

and Iris willmottiana alba.
Andrew, North Cambridgeshire, England.

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #168 on: April 13, 2010, 06:36:29 PM »
Few more Juno Irises from today
Iris albomarginata is more known as Iris coerulea, but really in most cases under this name you will receive Iris zenaidae. Here you can see how looks true I. albomarginata.
Between seedlings of Iris albomarginata appeared this unusual hybrid - good grower.
Iris willmottiana from Kara-Tau is one of most ovely juno irises
Iris tubergeniana has the longest additional roots but flower is very slim
Iris bucharica mostly is known by its bicolored forms, but in nature more distributed are pure yellow plants. This one is from Baldjuan in Tadjikistan.
Janis

Alex

• Oxford, U.K.
« Reply #169 on: April 15, 2010, 09:51:40 PM »
Iris pseudocapnoides from Janis.

Alex

PeterT

« Reply #170 on: April 15, 2010, 11:05:03 PM »
Pat, David, super looking plants.
Pat, is yours in the open garden?
Like the 'Blue Mystery' David looks
similar to 'Skyline' and 'Evening Shade'

All three are very similar and I can separate them only seeing side by side. If I would be breeder - I would keep only one, but they are raised by Lithuanian grower (Augis or Leonid, or both, not remember who). Really Juno hybrids from same parents are very similar one to other in F-1 generation and as they usually are sterile, no F-2 possible.
Janis
I have three of these plants, the only one I have a name for is 'skyline' one of the other two has bigger flowers and the falls are wider and held out flatter, skyline is the neater plant though
living near Stranraer, Scotland. Gardening in the West of Scotland.

PeterT

« Reply #171 on: April 16, 2010, 09:01:12 AM »
Janis, from your pictures I svetlanae looks quite variable? how variable is I albomarginata? I a growing the plant you have pictured but also I was sent a plant identical to I graeberiana dark for but it is very slightly paler, I can only tell because they are next to each other.
Here is a picture of a seedling very like I greyberiana yellow fall, it is going over now but has set seed. also a picture of I orchioides kyrgistan gold and I caucasica turcica

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #172 on: April 19, 2010, 08:38:08 AM »
Janis, from your pictures I svetlanae looks quite variable? how variable is I albomarginata? I a growing the plant you have pictured but also I was sent a plant identical to I graeberiana dark for but it is very slightly paler, I can only tell because they are next to each other.
Here is a picture of a seedling very like I greyberiana yellow fall, it is going over now but has set seed. also a picture of I orchioides kyrgistan gold and I caucasica turcica

There are some variation in albomarginata - darker and lighter flowers but my pictures from wild were made prior digital era. It just now starts blooming and may be today I will post some more pictures, although my plants are quite uniform.
Janis

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
« Reply #173 on: April 21, 2010, 02:00:25 PM »
Last year, my fat luxuriant clumps of Juno Iris were eaten by deer, sheared off to the base of the clasping leaves.  After growing these outside for nearly a decade, this is the first time deer ate them, deer only rarely come through, and of course they eat the most treasured items.  Subsequently, rain water got into the severed leaf bases and rotted them.  I feared all would be lost.  Of the 8 species or varieties I had, there is no sign of 3, 3 others only show only a few small non-flowering plants coming up, and two others are flowering, albeit the quantity of bulbs cut way back.

So here is the brave 'Warlsind' flowering this year, a mere remnant of the big clumps of previous years.  Has anyone noticed how perfumed the flowers are, one of the few junos with a good fragrance.
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #174 on: April 21, 2010, 02:14:24 PM »
What a shame Mc Mark !  :(
But there's hope for the future !!  :D
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #175 on: April 21, 2010, 07:28:15 PM »
As I promissed earlier - here pictures of two forms of Iris albomarginata
and two forms of Iris bucharica - one of unknown origin and with almost black blotchon falls (quite unusual in Junos) and my favourite - pale greenish yellow from very South of Tadjikistan, to which I gave cv. name TONY (in honor of Tony Hall)
and last "duo" - most possibly new Juno sp., at present listed as close to nusairiensis - raised from Archibald seeds.
Janis

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #176 on: April 21, 2010, 07:37:06 PM »
Few more Junos
Iris aucheri form from Bahce vilage, grown up from seeds collected by our team. Flowered for the first time here.
Iris orchioides from Bashkizilsai in Uzbekistan
Iris vicaria from Maihur
Iris zenaidae - one of very good forms
Iris svetlaneae hybrid which appeared between seedslings
and as last - juno iris from outside garden. Weather is very cool and it is still blooming - Iris rosenbackiana Harangon

Hans A.

• bulb growing paradise
« Reply #177 on: April 21, 2010, 09:04:07 PM »
Wonderful selection Janis!
Hans - Balearic Islands/Spain
10a  -  140nn

BULBISSIME

• USDA zone 8
    • My pictures gallery :
« Reply #178 on: April 21, 2010, 10:05:53 PM »
Makes me crazy... Thank's Janis  >:( :o :P
Fred
Vienne, France

( USDA zone 8 )
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/IrisOncocyclus

PeterT

« Reply #179 on: April 22, 2010, 12:10:27 AM »
Last year, my fat luxuriant clumps of Juno Iris were eaten by deer, sheared off to the base of the clasping leaves.  After growing these outside for nearly a decade, this is the first time deer ate them, deer only rarely come through, and of course they eat the most treasured items.  Subsequently, rain water got into the severed leaf bases and rotted them.  I feared all would be lost.  Of the 8 species or varieties I had, there is no sign of 3, 3 others only show only a few small non-flowering plants coming up, and two others are flowering, albeit the quantity of bulbs cut way back.

So here is the brave 'Warlsind' flowering this year, a mere remnant of the big clumps of previous years.  Has anyone noticed how perfumed the flowers are, one of the few junos with a good fragrance.
I have a very normal looking bicolour form of bucharica which smells strongly of apricot and a white magnifica form strongly scented of vanilla,
willmottiana alba is another great plant with a scent

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal