We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: New Zealand field trips Jan 2010.  (Read 15339 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: New Zealand field trips Jan 2010.
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2010, 10:36:36 PM »
Yes, those books were Arthur Ransome all right. They're all in the Dunedin Public Library and even now I re-read every 5 years or so. If for no other reason they should be read by every parent who wraps his/here kids in cotton wool and won't let them do a thing without first evaluating health/safety/hygiene etc until the next generation of grown-ups will have no initiative and no sense of adventure at all and will be frightened to cross the road without someone to hold his/her hand. ??? :o ???
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Ross Graham

« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2010, 12:14:36 AM »
yeah I agree those children in the books had a lot of freedom and thats why they was so appealing to me as a kid I guess.

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2010, 09:04:14 AM »
Finally after waiting near on 4 weeks the weather was suitable for a visit into Fiordland --sunny conditions were forecast but i was in ,(very thick at times), fog all day with no landmarks which tested the navigation skills in a number of spots .

Although a  number of the big Celmisa sps are not going to flower this season i found plenty of other Genera including some lovely cushion plants in bloom.

The highlights were Ranunculus lyallii and R.buchananii --the moisture on the buchananii in particular gave them a wonderful frosted look.

I understand the AGS tour is visiting the area next week --i hope they have better weather and a number make the journey up onto the screes.

Cheers Dave

« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 09:49:37 AM by t00lie »
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

kiwi

• Go the All Blacks!!!
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2010, 09:17:19 AM »
Stunning mate, another plant to add to the must see list!!!
See you next week.
Doug Logan, Canterbury NZ.

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2010, 09:22:57 AM »
Absolutely ruddy magnificent ... I just can't stop drooling (it's probably my age)!   :D

A truly beautiful plant and image.
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2010, 09:44:20 AM »
Thanks Doug.

Cliff
There is still quite a lot of white stuff,(and i'm not talking about the plants  :)  ) , about up there, particularly where the Ranunculus grow --i carefully peeked under the side of a very thick snow bank and i could see numerous R.bucananii with buds formed ready to bloom so although it's such a magnificent sight at the moment,(i took 52 pics of the two species and their hybrid ), in another 2 or 3 weeks it should be even better --of course that is if the hares, grasshoppers etc don't get to them beforehand  >:( .

(Doug and i are away for a look around Nelson,(top of South Island),early next week then meeting up with other NZAGS members on friday for a weekend in Northern Canterbury so there should be a few more  'postings' coming).

Cheers dave.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 09:46:36 AM by t00lie »
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2010, 09:49:01 AM »
Thanks Doug.

Cliff
There is still quite a lot of white stuff,(and i'm not talking about the plants  :)  ) , about up there, particularly where the Ranunculus grow --i carefully peeked under the side of a very thick snow bank and i could see numerous R.bucananii with buds formed ready to bloom so although it's such a magnificent sight at the moment,(i took 52 pics of the two species and their hybrid ), in another 2 or 3 weeks it should be even better.  

... But can I get there in time?   :P :P :P :P
Cliff Booker

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2010, 10:10:36 AM »
Hi everyone,

Just back from Central Otago after a week traveling around with some very good botanists. It is a humbling experience finding out how much one does not know. There was a foot of fresh snow on the Remarkables when we visited it so the weather has been a bit of a mixture. It can be challenging photographing a tiny Myosotis in the rain. I am off again in a couple of days again so in the meantime.

Here are the offerings for today (Sorry Cliff I have not edited any Ranunculus pictures tonight)

1 Craspedia lanata from the Pisa Range.

2 Pimelea aff sericeovillosa from the Pisa Range

3 Another Pimelea, Pimelea traversii from the Ida Range.  I knew it was there but not in such abundance - you notice more plants when they are flowering. There were two other species present, Pimelea pseudolyallii and Pimelea oreophila so there was a fair bit of discussion about what was which.

4 Raoulia petriensis from the Ida Range
David Lyttle
Otago Peninsula, Dunedin, South Island ,
New Zealand.

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2010, 10:23:38 AM »

Here are the offerings for today (Sorry Cliff I have not edited any Ranunculus pictures tonight)

You are forgiven David ... good things come to those who wait!   :D :P :P

The Raoulia petriensis has a stunning structure, almost reminiscent of a rosulate viola?

Many thanks for posting.
Cliff Booker

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2010, 01:20:26 PM »
Absolutely ruddy magnificent ... I just can't stop drooling (it's probably my age)!   :D

A truly beautiful plant and image.

No, Cliff, for once it is not your age or infirmity... that  R.buchananii in the photo is an absolute cracker!  Superb, t00lie, thanks! !  8)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2010, 01:42:43 PM »
Absolutely ruddy magnificent ... I just can't stop drooling (it's probably my age)!   :

No, Cliff, for once it is not your age or infirmity...

'For once'? ... Oh, how could you?   :'( :'( :'( :D
Cliff Booker

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2010, 09:03:03 PM »

The Raoulia petriensis has a stunning structure, almost reminiscent of a rosulate viola?

I did not show you the whole plant; here is a nice photogenic cushion. Most of them are a bit more straggly but you dont take picture of those ones. (its a bit like showing)
David Lyttle
New Zealand.

kiwi

• Go the All Blacks!!!
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2010, 09:24:09 PM »
David, the Raoulia petriensis is incredible, also love the woolly head. One of my favourates.

Have this shot of another Pimelea (I think, or is it a Hebe?) but I have no closer shots to accurately id.
Any Ideas? (Mt Stokes)
Cheers Doug.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 09:26:06 PM by kiwi »
Doug Logan, Canterbury NZ.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2010, 09:31:26 PM »
Pimelea I think Doug but not one I've ever met. Looks very good.

Cliff I was hoping you had some handy medication in order to calm the palpitatons. :D A stunning picture Dave. I'm looking forward to seeing the next batches.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2010, 11:39:23 PM »
 Hi Doug,

If it is subalpine I think it is Pimelea gnidia. P longifolia which is predominantly a lowland species is very similar.
David Lyttle
New Zealand.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal