We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Snowdrop prices 2010  (Read 40852 times)

zephirine

• zeph's garden blog
Re: Snowdrop prices 2010
« Reply #135 on: March 15, 2010, 10:55:10 PM »
There's also something pretty topical about this card: have you noticed the name of the store it was advertising, in the top left corner?
Well..."Bon Marché" means...."cheap" in french... ;D
Between Lyon and Grenoble/France -1500 ft above sea level - USDA zone 7B

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #136 on: March 16, 2010, 09:36:03 AM »
Very clever Zepherine, although I thought Au bonne marche meant 'a good walk' which I think is a bit of a laugh in the snow ;)
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #137 on: March 16, 2010, 02:05:07 PM »
....I thought Au bonne marche meant 'a good walk' which I think is a bit of a laugh in the snow ;)

I think you may be confusing 'marché', which (I think) has the same root as the English word 'market', with 'marcher' which has the same root as the English word 'march'. The pronunciation of both French words is much the same.
Almost in Scotland.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #138 on: March 17, 2010, 08:59:46 AM »
French never was my strongpoint Alan!

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #139 on: March 17, 2010, 09:13:24 AM »
If anyone has 'Grumpy' to sell, they can make a fortune on EBay.  Currently stands at £102.10 with 3 days to go.  Surely this ranks as the most paid for a good, but not spectacular snowdrop.  ??? :o ??? :o
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #140 on: March 17, 2010, 09:19:28 AM »
I would happily sell mine at that price.  :o
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #141 on: March 17, 2010, 09:36:38 AM »
It relation to the e-bay bidders it might be suitable to quote Oscar Wilde: "The cynic (insert snowdrop maniac) knows the price of everything and the value of nothing"

Compare the £105 price on a bulb of 'Grumpy'  to the generosity of a forum member who sent on a clump to me - free, completely free, a gift.

It shows the great contrasts which exist in the world of snowdrops and the world of gardening in general for that matter.

Of course, I am not going to mention the name of the person who sent on the snowdrops; it wouldn't be appropriate but I do believe it is important to mention it so that people realise there is another side to snowdrop collecting (gardening in general) than that seen on e-bay.

Likewise, I have a circle of friends who are interested in snowdrops but who are even more novice that I am and I pass on snowdrops to them. I have had the good fortune to receive many, many (the vast majority) of my snowdrops from kind friends in this manner and they have the value of being intrinsically beautiful and the reminders of fond memories and kind friends.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Chad

« Reply #142 on: March 17, 2010, 11:29:48 AM »
Or settle for a 'look alike'.
£1.45 in an unselected pot of elwesii at the local garden centre [sorry the picture is blurred - I was a bit excited!].

Chad.
Inland Cornwall

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #143 on: March 17, 2010, 11:48:06 AM »
- I was a bit excited!].

Chad.
Not grumpy then? ;D
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

vivienr

« Reply #144 on: March 17, 2010, 02:01:25 PM »
Or settle for a 'look alike'.
£1.45 in an unselected pot of elwesii at the local garden centre [sorry the picture is blurred - I was a bit excited!].

There's nothing wrong with that. My Grumpy-look-alike (see avatar or Galavatar as McMark called it) came as a surprise in a garden centre pot of elwesii seedlings too, and I have had great pleasure from its company. It produces a huge bulb so I will try to twinscale this year so that I can give it to friends who have admired it. It flowers around Christmas so it should save a lot of Christmas shopping which I hate.
I was excited to find some elwesii this year with nice heart-shaped marks, as they are my favourite, and again only for a few pounds.
I wish you and your new snowdrop will be very happy together :) :)
Vivien Roeder, Huddersfield, West Yorkshire.

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
« Reply #145 on: March 17, 2010, 02:18:36 PM »
Hi Vivien, It's great to hear that your snowdrop is a Christmas flowerer - early flowering 'drops are a good thing in my book (I am trying to extend my garden's season in that direction as that is the time that the S.A.D. starts to take hold  :( ).

I rather like the name McMark has unofficially chosen for it  ;)  Galanthus "Galavatar"  ;D  Will you be using that name when you are santa?....
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #146 on: March 17, 2010, 06:31:58 PM »
It's not that hard to find Grumpy-alike snowdrops.  What I'm waiting for is one called 'Happy' like this (apologies to Vivien whose avatar I modified).
Almost in Scotland.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #147 on: March 17, 2010, 07:13:10 PM »
Funnily enough I saw 'Smiley' today, Matt Bishop seems to rate it so you never know!

...and I think John Finch may have posted a pictrure of it last year?

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
« Reply #148 on: March 17, 2010, 11:25:00 PM »
Galanthus 'Smiley'
John

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #149 on: March 18, 2010, 08:53:46 AM »
Cheers John ;D

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal