We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Snowdrop prices 2010  (Read 40781 times)

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
Re: Snowdrop prices 2010
« Reply #240 on: March 24, 2010, 11:14:27 PM »
It happened last year with someone selling plicatus from their garden as 'Sophie North'. They appeared unaware that you can't apply a name just because something looks like it. I wonder how many garden centre 'Grumpy's' have been sold on Ebay?
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Gerry Webster

« Reply #241 on: March 24, 2010, 11:18:20 PM »
I can understand & sympathise with a concern over the  correct identification of plants. But if this is the real issue, why is the thread headed   "Snowdrop prices 2010"?
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #242 on: March 24, 2010, 11:24:48 PM »
It is about snowdrop prices 2010. This misidentification problem just makes it worse. At least I haven't heard of anyone selling 'Flore Pleno' as 'Flocon de Neige' this year.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 11:26:31 PM by Anthony Darby »

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #243 on: March 24, 2010, 11:30:43 PM »
It is about snowdrop prices 2010. This misidentification problem just makes it worse. At least I haven't heard of anyone selling 'Flore Pleno' as 'Flocon de Neige' this year.

No, just 'Ailwyn', perhaps?
Almost in Scotland.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #244 on: March 24, 2010, 11:34:37 PM »
This thread was named by the thread starter....... who began it by stating ...
 :D
I thought I'd try some good news as an antidote to the "Withdrawal Symptoms" thread whilst waiting for the thaw being hinted at for the end of next week.

Ebay selling prices for 44 different varieties of snowdrops sold over the past four weeks show an 18% drop over the 2009 prices for the same varieties.

A health warning; the main Ebay buying season is yet to come and white fever may yet push prices up again. Or maybe the recession is actually having an effect. Or it could be that more sellers such as "galanthusboy" are slowly emerging and producing a more diverse market place. As I have commented previously, part of the inflated market is down to individuals who have good stocks of certain wanted varieties but won't share or sell them to the people who want to grow them. I recall one lucky possessor of a clump of well over fifty plants (at a conservative estimate) of a scarce snowdrop variety who assured me she would be sharing them only with her friends.

Fortunately I have encountered far more snowdrop enthusiasts who will readily share, swap or sell plants where they have spares.  
Wendy's Gold is an interesting example of a variety whose price has steadily reduced as a good supply of bulbs has become available, but Bill Clark and Primrose Warburg are counter-examples where this supply/price effect has yet to benefit buyers.

One final comment; full marks to one or two nurserymen who are working hard to produce sufficient stocks of desired bulbs.

So, you see , any other discussion re high prices and misnamed bulbs has evolved from a simple beginning ......Steve might have chosen to call the thread anything...."Today's thoughts from Biggles" for  instance  ;D.....it seems to me that the title does cover roughly the main subject matter  as intended. Yes, there may be a preponderence of posts re ebay.... hardly surprising since the most outrageous prices have been seen there, but when I hear of the £150 EA Bowles bulbs at the 'drop events, it seems there is no shortage of pricey 'drops to discuss....and the balance of opinion seems to be that forumists prefer the " forum way" of swapping wherever possible....so there is actually very little disagreement in that area.... it's a subject of conversation, just like any other.  :D The discussion of mis-selling wrongly named bulbs came about because forumists see bulbs being offered ...and bid for, at high prices when it is pretty evident that the buyer is being sold a dud.... that is a matter for reasonable concern, I think, and is a simple divergence in the thread, on a related point. 
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 11:38:58 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #245 on: March 24, 2010, 11:45:12 PM »
Yes Alan the Ailwyn's look just like good nivalis  flore pleno
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #246 on: March 25, 2010, 08:12:04 AM »
I told Thunderbug on Ebay his Green Man isnt. S/he said

"You are very sad, I suppose you wrote the book , wore the tea shirt etc, just let the Ebayers decide. Find something better to do."

Thunderbug is also offering a 'Jamie Broughton' he claims has been "established in my garden for over 60 years".
Almost in Scotland.

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #247 on: March 25, 2010, 09:52:04 AM »
Ah, thanks guys re Ailwyn - what a laugh we'll all have next year when they flower!  :'( :'(
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #248 on: March 25, 2010, 09:59:50 AM »

Thunderbug is also offering a 'Jamie Broughton' he claims has been "established in my garden for over 60 years".
Would one need to rent a Tardis?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 10:09:46 AM by Anthony Darby »

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #249 on: March 25, 2010, 10:09:20 AM »
Joe says Thunderbug is selling crap!
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Mavers

« Reply #250 on: March 25, 2010, 02:06:43 PM »
I have bought off Ebay but have only placed bids slightly over the normal catalogue price & have had some very good snowdrops.

Beth Chatto Gardens on Ebay have always supplied me with superb snowdrops & often when you are bidding on only one bulb they will send two bulbs or one bulb that could easily have been divided & made into two before dispatch.

I remember reading on this forum last year of people who said one of their collections would make a very good start for a novice galanthophile.

If only all sellers were as good.

PS I have no financial interest in Beth Chatto Gardens.  ;D
Mike
Somerset, UK

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #251 on: March 25, 2010, 02:32:21 PM »
Have to second what you say about Beth Chatto's, Mike. I have found them to be always generous with their snowdrops. One means one and an offset, two means three, three means four or five and always good quality and healthy.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #252 on: March 25, 2010, 02:41:39 PM »
It was , I think, Art600 last year who posted pix of the great packages of snowdrops he's got from Beth Chatto Gasrdens via Ebay.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #253 on: March 25, 2010, 02:54:41 PM »
I successfully bid for "3" 'Baylham' last year. I stopped counting when I had separated bulb 15 from the clump! 8)

Mavers

« Reply #254 on: March 25, 2010, 03:07:44 PM »
Thanks for remembering that info Maggi, I think I've said this before.........What would we do without you?  :-*

And yes Paddy always such healthy, robust bulbs & very well packed.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 03:12:11 PM by Mavers »
Mike
Somerset, UK

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal