We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Snowdrop prices 2010  (Read 40849 times)

vivienr

Re: Snowdrop prices 2010
« Reply #150 on: March 18, 2010, 09:17:53 AM »
Alan
  Just imagine how much you would get for a full set of Galanthus 'The seven dwarves' on eBay ;D ;D

John
  I'm sure the experts would say it's not distinctive enough to name but I'm going to call it Galavatar as it's better than calling it 'Grumpy-looking-thing'. I have it in a pot so I brought it into the house during the bad weather to enjoy the flowers (my house is very cold so it probably thought it was still outside and did not shrivel up). If you would like a bulb I can send you one in the summer as I intend to try to twinscale a bulb and put the rest back in the garden.

Vivien Roeder, Huddersfield, West Yorkshire.

Gerard Oud

• nothing beats snowdrops!
    • Sneeuwklokjeshof Bucaneve
« Reply #151 on: March 18, 2010, 11:32:14 AM »
When you order elwesii Late scented you get Grumpy!!!

There were not just one but 10!

Any offers ;D

Gerry

« Reply #152 on: March 18, 2010, 01:01:48 PM »
Just a suggestion, but if everyone on this forum sold snowdrops on e-bay in quantity at fixed sensible prices then we should see the bottom fall out of the market. Sense would prevail 8)

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #153 on: March 18, 2010, 01:36:18 PM »
Just a suggestion, but if everyone on this forum sold snowdrops on e-bay in quantity at fixed sensible prices then we should see the bottom fall out of the market. Sense would prevail 8)

Equally, I have been round gardens that have so many of a particular snowdrop you wonder how it could possibly sell at £30 a bulb on the nursery stands.  Personally, I have on average 5 bulbs of each different snowdrop in my collection so I would not be able to contribute.  When the numbers I have of a bulb reach double figures I generally swap them or give them away to friends.
Almost in Scotland.

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #154 on: March 18, 2010, 01:41:38 PM »

When the numbers I have of a bulb reach double figures I generally swap them or give them away to friends.

Alan

I agree with you - it is good to swap and even better to give them to friends.  At least you know they are going to good homes where they should grow and multiply.  My collection has benefitted through the generosity of friends, and sensible buying at local Shows.
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #155 on: March 18, 2010, 01:49:15 PM »
On the other hand, I know lots of people with large art collections... I don't see them flogging their stuff off on ebay ( or anywhere else) at fixed prices so others  can acquire them! :-X

Of course many gardeners swap plants... and I hope that is always the case, but it seems there is an element of the galanthophile set that are into compulsion....perhaps that's a hope that could be aimed at the Banking Sector, or the pricipal of Aberdeen University, who is about to get a 17% bonus in his final year!!  ::) :o :-X
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #156 on: March 18, 2010, 01:58:46 PM »
Yes, Gerry assumes we could saturate the market but who knows if he is right.  The thing that really would cause the bottom to fall out the ebay market if if people gave up buying snowdrops at inflated prices on ebay.
Almost in Scotland.

steve owen

« Reply #157 on: March 18, 2010, 03:28:56 PM »
Not quite so simple. There's another factor- the must-have new whizzo variety always commands a high price. Example? E A Bowles. Plenty of others. So the other side of this demand/price equation is this; should there be some control on the naming of new varieties, especially when one can scarcely tell any difference between the new whizzo and other existing cultivars? Example; how many different yellows are there, really? Or greentips? Once in a while a Green Tear or an Elizabeth Harrison appears, but are there really thirty distinctive new cultivars each year that are worth naming? Because that is what it seems to be running at.  :'( :'( :'(
NCPPG National Collection Holder for Galanthus
Beds/Bucks border

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #158 on: March 18, 2010, 08:06:16 PM »
A very good point, Steve, but at the same time we really need to rationalise the old cultivars and get rid of the ones that don't cut the mustard.  What's really needed is some sort of Award of Galanthus Merit granted to really good and distinctive snowdrops.  Of course, then you get into who should decide, what criteria should be used, should it cost money to apply for an award and other cans of worms.   
Almost in Scotland.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #159 on: March 18, 2010, 08:17:20 PM »
The other point is that the people who sell snowdrops commercially have a huge vested interest in maintaining a steady flow of new snowdrops - provided they can do this whilst maintaining their credibility. 
Almost in Scotland.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #160 on: March 18, 2010, 10:01:42 PM »
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

chasw

• Another passion
    • mini40register
« Reply #161 on: March 18, 2010, 10:37:29 PM »
Chas Whight in Northamptonshire

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #162 on: March 18, 2010, 11:55:52 PM »
Is she taking the P? One nivalis for £60. Is she a forum member?
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #163 on: March 19, 2010, 05:10:28 AM »
Another e bay rarity here,with abuy it now price of £60 ,millionaires by the end of the season?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Snowdrops-Galanthus-Nivalis_W0QQitemZ290415268553QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_HomeGarden_Garden_PlantsSeedsBulbs_JN?hash=item439e1952c9

Gosh.  £60 for a nivalis dug from her orchard does seem 'slightly' overpriced.....   :o
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Gerard Oud

• nothing beats snowdrops!
    • Sneeuwklokjeshof Bucaneve
« Reply #164 on: March 19, 2010, 07:13:51 AM »
If you look properly its 16th century and made of glass ;D ;D
So its a bargain ;D

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal